1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work - unknown variables

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force F=bx^3 acts in the x-direction. How much work is done by this force in moving an object from x=0.0m to x=2.2m? The value of bis 3.7 N/m^3

2. Relevant equations

Work=Force*Distance

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok since the above equation is true, then the problem would solution would be obtained by simply multiplying our force which is (3.7N/m^3) by the given distance which would be 2.2m. The thing is that once you do that, the problem is over and there is still a variable there bothering us which is x^3. What am I supposed to do with that variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

(3.7N/m^3)

This is not the force, this is a constant. The force is b*x^3. Since it contains the x^3 term, the force is variable and you can't use W=Fd. Do you know integration?

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    yes, but how would i use it in this case?

edit: ok i figured it out, it should be the definite integral from 0-2m of F right?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Feb 17, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Yes, but the upper limit is 2.2m, right? :smile:

6. Feb 17, 2007 #5
    that was exactly it. The answer was 21.6 which rounded up to 22J . Thanks you were a great help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?