Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Work - unknown variables

1. Feb 17, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A force F=bx^3 acts in the x-direction. How much work is done by this force in moving an object from x=0.0m to x=2.2m? The value of bis 3.7 N/m^3

2. Relevant equations

Work=Force*Distance

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok since the above equation is true, then the problem would solution would be obtained by simply multiplying our force which is (3.7N/m^3) by the given distance which would be 2.2m. The thing is that once you do that, the problem is over and there is still a variable there bothering us which is x^3. What am I supposed to do with that variable?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2007 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

(3.7N/m^3)

This is not the force, this is a constant. The force is b*x^3. Since it contains the x^3 term, the force is variable and you can't use W=Fd. Do you know integration?

4. Feb 17, 2007 #3
    yes, but how would i use it in this case?

edit: ok i figured it out, it should be the definite integral from 0-2m of F right?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Feb 17, 2007 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Yes, but the upper limit is 2.2m, right? :smile:

6. Feb 17, 2007 #5
    that was exactly it. The answer was 21.6 which rounded up to 22J . Thanks you were a great help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook