Work Up an Incline: Calculate Gravity, Friction & Push Work

It doesn't matter if it's height or distance on the incline. In summary, the work done by gravity is the change in potential energy, which can be calculated using the formula m*g*h. The work done by friction is the distance along the incline, and the work done by the person pushing the box depends on the distance the box actually slides.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

A 50 kg box is being pushed up an incline of 25 degrees, to a total height of 45 m. Kinetic friction between the box and the incline has a mew of .4.
a) What is the work done by gravity?
b)What is the work done by friction?
c) What is the work done by the person pushing the box.

Homework Equations

W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

For all of the parts, I am not sure what to use as my d. Do I use 45, or do i use (45/sin(45)), the hypotenuse and the distance that the box actually slides?

Physics news on Phys.org
keemosabi said:

Homework Statement

A 50 kg box is being pushed up an incline of 25 degrees, to a total height of 45 m. Kinetic friction between the box and the incline has a mew of .4.
a) What is the work done by gravity?
b)What is the work done by friction?
c) What is the work done by the person pushing the box.

Homework Equations

W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

For all of the parts, I am not sure what to use as my d. Do I use 45, or do i use (45/sin(45)), the hypotenuse and the distance that the box actually slides?

For changes in PE it's straight height difference.

For friction it's distance along the incline.

LowlyPion said:
For changes in PE it's straight height difference.

For friction it's distance along the incline.
What about the work done by gravity? Is that height or distance on the incline? Or does it not matter.

keemosabi said:
What about the work done by gravity? Is that height or distance on the incline? Or does it not matter.

Work by gravity is change in PE = m*g*h

1. What is the formula for calculating work up an incline?

The formula for calculating work up an incline is W = Fdcosθ, where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle of incline.

2. How do you calculate gravity when working up an incline?

To calculate gravity when working up an incline, you can use the formula Fg = mgcosθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, and θ is the angle of incline.

3. What is the role of friction when working up an incline?

Friction plays a significant role when working up an incline as it acts in the opposite direction of motion, making it harder for an object to move up the incline. It can be calculated using the formula Ff = μFn, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and Fn is the normal force.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the work done?

The angle of incline affects the work done as it determines the amount of force needed to move an object up the incline. As the angle increases, more force is required to overcome gravity and friction, resulting in more work being done.

5. Can you calculate the push work when working up an incline?

Yes, you can calculate the push work when working up an incline by using the formula Wp = Fdsinθ, where Wp is the push work, F is the force applied, d is the distance moved, and θ is the angle of incline. This formula takes into account the component of force that is parallel to the incline.