1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Work versus volume

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A few years ago I challenged my class to use the method of volumes by slicing to
    compute the volume of a 4 ball,

knowing the volume of a 3-ball. This leads to a slightly challenging trig
    integral, but not out of reach for a strong

calculus student. (no one did it however.)

This Fall while teaching the concept of work, I noticed the work integral for
    pumping liquid from a tank,

is just the "cylindrical shells" integral for 4 dimensional volume (except for
    the factor of 2 pi).

So if they have computed the relatively easy integral of work

to empty a unit radius hemispherical tank of unit density liquid as pi/4,

it follows that the volume of a 4 ball of radius a, is (2pi)(pi/4)a^4 = (pi)^2
    (a^4)/2.

Is this a standard observation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so as far as we know, nobody has noticed this rather obvious fact for the last 2000 years?

i am not sure actually archimedes did not know this, but it seems to escape current calc texts.

4. Sep 24, 2008 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

in case you have not done this calculation, using slices means you have to integrate an odd power of (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) to do even dimensional ball volumes, while using shells yields an even power.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?