How much work is done when carrying a load up a set of stairs?

• Thread starter Blonde1551
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the man carries a 70.0 kg box down a hallway for 10.0 m, up a set of stairs for 4.0 m, and down another hallway for 15.0 m. The equation for work, W=fd, can be used to calculate the work done, but there is not enough information given to determine the direction and velocity of the man's movement. It can be assumed that the work done is only when the man is walking up the steps, and the answer would be (70.0)(9.81)(4.0). However, the question is not clear as to whether the work being asked for is the work done on the box or by the man.
Blonde1551

Homework Statement

A man carries a 70.0 kg box. He caries it down a hallway 10.0 m, up a set of stairs for 4.0 meters, and down another hallway for 15.0 meters. How much work does he do?

Homework Equations

W=fd

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused because I don't feel like there is enough information to answer. The problem doesn't say if he is walking at a constant velocity or not, but I assume he is. And it doesn't say what direction he is walking in. I feel like this is a trick question and no work is being done, but I am not sure because he walks up a set of steps.

I would guess that the work being done is only when he is walking up the steps?
And the answer would be (70.0)(9.81)(4.0). Would this be correct?

Can someone please explain this to me?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the question is 'how much work is done on the box' in which case I agree with your answer.

The main thing I don't like about the question is that "up a set of stairs for 4.0 meters" would normally mean the distance walked (up the line of slope). Being in the context of distances along horizontals reinforces that. But to answer the question, without being told the angle of the flight of steps, you need to assume it's the vertical distance.

1. How does work while walking up stairs benefit the body?

Working while walking up stairs provides a great way to incorporate physical activity into daily tasks. This can help improve cardiovascular health, increase muscle strength and endurance, and burn calories.

2. Can work while walking up stairs increase productivity?

Studies have shown that incorporating movement and physical activity into daily tasks can improve cognitive function and productivity. Therefore, working while walking up stairs can potentially increase productivity.

3. Is it safe to work while walking up stairs?

As with any physical activity, it is important to practice proper form and listen to your body. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions or concerns, it is best to consult with a doctor before incorporating work while walking up stairs into your routine.

4. How long should I work while walking up stairs for maximum benefits?

The amount of time spent working while walking up stairs will vary depending on individual fitness levels and goals. However, experts recommend aiming for at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day for overall health benefits.

5. Can working while walking up stairs replace traditional exercise?

While working while walking up stairs can provide some physical activity, it should not replace traditional exercise that targets all muscle groups and includes a variety of movements. It is important to incorporate a well-rounded exercise routine for optimal health benefits.