Solve Friction Work Problem: Boy Pulls Wagon 25.0kg 20.0m 60.0N 0.214

In summary, a boy pulls a wagon of mass 25.0kg at a constant velocity for a distance of 20.0m with a force of 60.0N at an angle of 40.0°. The coefficient of friction is 0.214. Using the equation W=FdCos(theta), the work done by the boy on the wagon can be calculated. Alternatively, balancing the forces and finding the normal and friction forces can also lead to the same result. The given information is more than what is required for solving the problem.
Avis

Homework Statement

A boy pulls his wagon of mass 25.0kg at a constant velocity a distance of 20.0m. the wagon's handle makes an angle of 40.0° with the ground while the boy is pulling on it with a force of 60.0N. The coefficient of friction is 0.214. how much work did the boy do on the wagon

Homework Equations

W=FdCos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. I am not sure where the friction fits in.

Physics news on Phys.org
As written, this is what's known as an "overspecified" problem. There is actually more information given than what is required.

Using F d cosθ, using the given 60.0 N force, will work just fine.

Alternatively you could balance the forces to find the normal and friction forces. The friction force should balance the horizontal pull from the boy ... though they turn out to be slightly different using the numbers given here (?).

Alright that makes scene. It worked out for me. I hate the extra stuff in problems.

What is the formula for calculating friction work?

The formula for calculating friction work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

What is the unit of measurement for friction work?

The unit of measurement for friction work is joules (J).

How do I calculate the force of friction?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μ * N, where μ is the coefficient of friction and N is the normal force.

How do I find the coefficient of friction for a given surface?

The coefficient of friction can be found by dividing the force of friction by the normal force. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force required to move an object over a surface.

What is the normal force in this problem?

The normal force in this problem is 60.0N, which is the weight of the wagon (25.0kg) multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2).