Creating Custom Materials in Workbench: A Guide for Engineers

In summary, the conversation is about how to create custom material in workbench and the potential issue of not having full material properties. The solution is to click on the pencil box in Engineering Data to make changes and add a new material library or edit an existing one. It is important to create a valid material with all properties to avoid any problems in the future.
appleberry
Hey guys,

How do I create my own material in workbench? The material that I need is not available in engineering data.

I have all the material properties that I need, just having hard time figuring that out.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Should be right there in Engineering Data. Make sure that you click the (IIRC) pencil box that allows changes to be made. You can then add a material to an existing, or create a new material library.

Note that if you do not create a valid material with full properties, workbench will not let you leave. Can be an issue if you forgot what material you changed, etc.

1. How do I create a workbench?

To create a workbench, you will need to gather materials such as wood planks and sticks. Once you have these materials, open the crafting menu and place the planks in the top and bottom rows and the sticks in the middle row. This will create a workbench that you can then place in your desired location.

2. What materials can be used to create a workbench?

Workbenches can be created using a variety of materials such as wood, stone, iron, and diamond. Each material will have different properties and durability, so choose the one that best suits your needs.

3. Can I customize the size or shape of my workbench?

No, workbenches cannot be customized in terms of size or shape. They will always be a 3x3 grid with the same dimensions. However, you can place multiple workbenches next to each other to create a larger workspace.

4. How do I use a workbench?

To use a workbench, simply stand in front of it and right-click on it. This will bring up the crafting menu where you can combine materials to create various items or tools. You can also access the workbench remotely by using a crafting table item.

5. Can workbenches be destroyed or moved?

Yes, workbenches can be destroyed by using any tool or by hand. They can also be moved by breaking and picking them up. However, any items placed inside the workbench will be lost, so it's important to empty it before moving or destroying it.