1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worked example of a limit

1. Sep 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a worked example from Stewart's Early Transcendentals 6e section 2.7 p. 145 for anybody curious.

Let [tex]f(x)= \frac{3}{x}[/tex]. Find an equation of the tangent line to the hyperbola at point (3,1).

2. Relevant equations

[tex]m = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(a+h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

His solution goes as such:

1) [tex]m = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(3+h) - f(3)}{h}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{3}{3+h} -1}{h}[/tex]
    Plug in the point coordinates into the equation and evaluate.

2) [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{\frac{3-(3+h)}{3+h}}{h}[/tex]
    Consider the 1 as 1/1, cross multiply and multiply through the denominator. The reverse of partial fraction decomposition (recomposition?)

3) [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{-h}{h(3+h)}[/tex]
    This is where I become confused. Do you have to distribute the negative sign such that 3-(3+h) = 3-3-h = -h?

4) [tex]\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}-\frac{1}{3+h}=-\frac{1}{3}[/tex]
    I would have gotten 1/3 instead of -1/3 so I would have made a mistake between steps 2 and 3.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Would it help if I wrote it this way?
    3 - (3 + h) = 3 + (-1)(3 + h)

Also, if you'd gotten 1/3 you knew you would be wrong, because the graph is clearly going down so the derivative should be negative.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. Sep 16, 2008 #3
    Yes! But then why did Stewart write it like that? It's so confusing.

5. Sep 16, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Perhaps Stewart didn't think he had to remind you that -(3-h)= -3+ h. You shouldn't have to ask if you use the distributive law!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?