Where can I find examples for solving equations of motion in Relativity?

• Thread starter jixe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the speaker is a new GR student who is struggling and looking for resources to help them with solving geodesic equations of motion and rewriting metrics in different coordinate systems. Another speaker suggests several texts that may be helpful for these types of problems, and mentions that they sound more like problems in differential geometry rather than physics.
jixe
Hi,

I am a new GR student and struggling a bit, to be honest. Usually in this situation I saturate myself with working through examples and eventually the penny drops, but I have not been able to find a text or any lecture notes etc. that provides examples of things like solving geodesic equations of motion given a metric ( they don't all seem responsive to the Lagrangian approach) or rewriting metrics or equations of motion in a different coordinate system etc.etc.
Can anyone help by suggesting a text?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks robphy. I'll have a look at those.

1. What are worked examples in Relativity?

Worked examples in Relativity are problems or scenarios that demonstrate the principles and concepts of Einstein's theory of general relativity. They often involve complex mathematical equations and thought experiments to illustrate how objects behave in different gravitational fields and at high speeds.

2. Why are worked examples important in understanding Relativity?

Worked examples are important because they provide concrete applications of the abstract concepts in Relativity. They allow scientists and students to test their understanding and see how the theory applies to real-world scenarios. They also help to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

3. How are worked examples in Relativity different from other types of examples?

Worked examples in Relativity are unique because they involve special situations that are not encountered in everyday life. These examples often require advanced mathematical skills and a deep understanding of the theory. They also challenge our intuitions and require us to think beyond the limitations of classical physics.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about worked examples in Relativity?

One common misconception is that worked examples in Relativity are purely theoretical and have no practical applications. However, many of the concepts and principles illustrated in these examples have been confirmed through experiments and have led to technological advancements, such as GPS systems.

Another misconception is that worked examples are only for experts in the field of Relativity. While some examples may be more advanced, there are also simpler ones that can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of the theory.

5. How can worked examples in Relativity be used in scientific research?

Worked examples in Relativity can be used as a starting point for further research and exploration of the theory. They can also be used to test and refine existing theories, or to propose new hypotheses. Additionally, they can inspire new thought experiments and help to expand our understanding of the universe.