1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Workers, days, product.

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It takes 2 workers 3 days to make 10 units. How many workers would it take to make 30 units in 2 days?

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure of what equations to use.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried techniques such as laying out the equations and using substitution, but I'm really not sure how to work this particular problem.

I don't know if this is posted on another thread, if so, I would appreciate a link very much.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you've tried, even if it's wrong.

Look at this in terms of what a single worker can do in one day.

4. Oct 19, 2011 #3
    ok. well pretty much I just set some equations up such as,

d*w=p
    2w*3d=10p

But I realized this is not the right approach.

Just now in the writing of this post, I think I may have figured out how to do it. I made into a constant(k) type problem.

pretty much I put that the product varies directly with the amount of workers multiplied by the time in days.

p=kwd

I then just solved for constant, k, using the equation which gives me all the values of the variables. I got k = 5/3 and my answer for the problem was 9, which was a choice among 5, 6, 9, 18.

I do believe this the the correct method for this type of problem, but of course, please tell me if it is not. thanks.

5. Oct 19, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I agree with your answer. Here is my reasoning.

One worker can make 5 units in 3 days, so each worker can make 5/3 unit per day.

So in 2 days, one worker can make 2*5/3 = 10/3 units. To make 30 units, you need 30/(10/3) = 30 * 3/10 = 9 workers.

6. Oct 19, 2011 #5
    that makes sense, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook