Working at proof derivative cos

In summary, the conversation is about a proof for the derivative of cosine. The person asking the question has found a lengthy proof and is wondering if anyone knows a shorter version. Another person responds, stating that while the proof looks correct, there aren't any shortcuts from their viewpoint. They suggest using a more sophisticated definition of sine and cosine for a shorter proof. Another person suggests using L'Hopital's rule, but this is deemed circular. A different person shares their proposed shorter proof using the similarity of triangles.
georg gill
Physics news on Phys.org
Skimming through your proof, everything looks correct. If you utilize a geometric definition of sine and cosine, you pretty much have to go through all of the arguments above in order to get the limit relations, so there aren't really any shortcuts from that viewpoint (at least none that I can think of).

If you want a shorter proof of the derivatives, you can always utilize a more sophisticated definition of sine and cosine. For example, with the power series definition it is pretty much immediate (once you have some theorems on differentiating power series of course). Another way that makes things pretty quick is defining sine and cosine via differential equations.

You could use the identity cos(x) =(eix + e-ix)/2, so the question reduces to the derivative of eu.

come to think of it one could also use L'hopital's on

[tex] \frac{sinh}{h}[/tex] as h goes to zero

Should not be any reason not for that?

georg gill said:
come to think of it one could also use L'hopital's on

[tex] \frac{sinh}{h}[/tex] as h goes to zero

Should not be any reason not for that?

To use L'Hopital's rule you need to know that the derivative of sine is cosine, but to prove that the derivative of sine is cosine you have to be able to evaluate that limit, so it would be a circular argument.

This is the second time this question has been posed here in a couple of weeks, see https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3617881&postcount=1 https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=550860&highlight=Prove+the+differentiation+rule .

Yes I think there is a shorter version than this. The standard version given me and I think most people at school depends on the sine or cosine of sums of angles formulae which are not exactly self-evident and in fact an unnecessary slog. I propose this:

As the angle δx → 0 , the arc δx approaches ever closer to a very short straight line segment which I represent by ab in the Figure. Then our conclusion follows from the similarity of the little triangle oab to the large one OAB

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7476/dsincosproof042.jpg

[tex]\frac{d\, sin x}{dx} = \frac{\mid oa \mid}{|ab|} = \frac {OA}{AB} = cos\, \angle OAB = cos \,x[/tex]

Quite similarly

[tex]\frac{d\, cos x}{dx} = \frac{-\mid ob \mid}{|bc|} = \frac {-\,OB}{AB} = -\, sin\, \angle OAB = -\,sin\,x[/tex]

I think that is all that is necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What type of work does Proof Derivative Cos involve?

Proof Derivative Cos is a company that specializes in developing new derivatives and financial instruments for use in the financial industry. As a scientist at Proof Derivative Cos, your work will involve conducting research, analyzing data, and developing mathematical models to create new financial products.

2. What qualifications are required to work at Proof Derivative Cos?

To work at Proof Derivative Cos, a strong background in mathematics, statistics, and computer science is essential. A degree in a related field such as finance, economics, or physics is also highly desirable. Additionally, experience with programming languages, data analysis software, and financial modeling techniques is preferred.

3. What is the work environment like at Proof Derivative Cos?

The work environment at Proof Derivative Cos is fast-paced, dynamic, and collaborative. As a scientist, you will work closely with other team members, including mathematicians, economists, and programmers, to develop innovative financial products. The company also encourages a culture of continuous learning and provides opportunities for professional growth and development.

4. What are the main responsibilities of a scientist at Proof Derivative Cos?

As a scientist at Proof Derivative Cos, your primary responsibilities will include conducting research, analyzing data, and creating mathematical models to develop new financial instruments. You will also be expected to collaborate with other team members, present your findings and recommendations to stakeholders, and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the financial industry.

5. What are the career prospects for scientists at Proof Derivative Cos?

Proof Derivative Cos offers excellent career prospects for scientists. As the company continues to grow and expand, there will be opportunities for advancement and leadership roles within the organization. Additionally, the skills and experience gained at Proof Derivative Cos are highly transferable and can open doors to other career opportunities in the financial industry.