Working at the center for Computational Quantum Chemistry

In summary, the conversation is about the person's interest in working at the University of Georgia under Dr. Henry Schafer, but they are unsure if they can have him as a Ph.D advisor as a physics graduate student. They discuss the possibility of having a physics advisor who works closely with him, contacting him, and the importance of having a well-established advisor. The conversation ends with the person wondering if they should try contacting Dr. Schafer again after not receiving a response.
gimak
Hello,

I'd like to work in the above named center at the University of Georgia in Athens, Georgia under Dr. Henry Schafer. However, he's a professor in the chemistry department. I'm guessing if I go in the university as a physics graduate student I can't have him as a Ph.D advisor. However, is another way around this getting a physics advisor who works closely with him and then having him on my thesis committee? Or are there other options? Or should a apply to the chemistry department as a grad student? Note that I'm currently working on my masters degree in physics and want to transfer there in a year or 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you contacted him? What did he say?

I didn't contact him yet. I think that since he's busy (he's one of the highest cited scientists in world has 15 grad students and is professor emertus at Berkley), he won't have time or my just tell me to just apply. Should I still contact him? Other options?

A lot of chemistry and physics professors have worked together in other places, if you contact him and go see him, when you decide to transfer he might help grease the skids.

gimak said:
I didn't contact him yet. I think that since he's busy (he's one of the highest cited scientists in world has 15 grad students and is professor emertus at Berkley), he won't have time or my just tell me to just apply. Should I still contact him? Other options?
(1) What's the harm in contacting him?

(2) You should find out whether he's even accepting new PhD students.

(3) Professors often formally hold joint appointments in two or more depts. Even if there is not a formal arrangement, some schools might allow a case-by-case exception for an advisor in another dept. You won't know until you ask.

gimak said:
Should I still contact him?

And if you go to all the trouble of getting in to Georgia only to discover he's not taking students, then what? Talk to him.

Ok thanks! I'll definitely contact him. Another question. I'm looking to transfer there because it seems less competitive than say, Harvard/Columbia. Also, if I do get there and work under him, since he's a world-renounced researcher (one of the highest cited in world), it seems that having his recommendation for a job/academia would help me ALOT. Also, I'm genuinely interested in his work. Additionally, the 'do you want to be a physicist thread' states (I think) that who you know/who PhD advisor is has more importance than where you go. Is my logic sound or flawed?

gimak said:
Ok thanks! I'll definitely contact him. Another question. I'm looking to transfer there because it seems less competitive than say, Harvard/Columbia. Also, if I do get there and work under him, since he's a world-renounced researcher (one of the highest cited in world), it seems that having his recommendation for a job/academia would help me ALOT. Also, I'm genuinely interested in his work. Additionally, the 'do you want to be a physicist thread' states (I think) that who you know/who PhD advisor is has more importance than where you go. Is my logic sound or flawed?
I would phrase it this way: If you continue on in the same field of research, the reputation of a well-established advisor will take precedence over the name of the school. If you transition to a different field, however, a brand-name school can help further your career.

Ok I sent him an email & he didn't respond. Should I try again or take this as a sign he's too busy to have me as a grad student?

gimak said:
Ok I sent him an email & he didn't respond. Should I try again or take this as a sign he's too busy to have me as a grad student?
it is the holidays, he might be taking some time off...

Likes Vanadium 50
Update: He didn't respond to the 1st email. So I sent him a 2nd email a week ago and he hasn't responded. Any advice?

gimak said:
Update: He didn't respond to the 1st email. So I sent him a 2nd email a week ago and he hasn't responded. Any advice?
If he doesn't respond after 3 weeks from when you sent the second email, send him a snail mail.

give up and move on

1. What is the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry?

The Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry is a research institute dedicated to using computational methods to study the properties and behavior of atoms, molecules, and materials at the quantum level.

2. What types of projects do scientists work on at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry?

Scientists at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry work on a wide range of projects, including developing new methods and algorithms for quantum calculations, modeling chemical reactions, and predicting the properties of new materials.

3. What kind of background and training is required to work at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry?

To work at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry, scientists typically have a background in chemistry, physics, or computer science, with a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and experience in programming and computational methods.

4. What are the benefits of working at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry?

Working at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry offers a unique opportunity to be at the forefront of cutting-edge research in a rapidly advancing field. Scientists also have access to state-of-the-art computing resources and collaboration opportunities with other leading researchers in the field.

5. How does the work at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry impact the real world?

The work at the Center for Computational Quantum Chemistry has numerous real-world applications, such as designing new materials for renewable energy sources, developing more efficient drug molecules, and understanding chemical reactions in the environment. The insights gained from this research can have a significant impact on the advancement of technology and our understanding of the natural world.