The Hard Choice: Choosing Between College and Work for Struggling High Schoolers

In summary, many people commented that those students who enroll aren't ready, and that a first job, amongst other things, will teach you discipline, punctuality, how to get up in the morning, confidence, how to communicate with other people other than using the language of 'mumbling' and learning to deal with responsibilities.
ideasrule
Homework Helper
There was a recent thread about community college, and the fact that many students who enroll aren't ready. A few people commented that those students are better off starting work in a menial job rather than going to college, then possibly entering the same menial job.

Suppose that you're 16, barely passing high school, and have to decide between going to community college and starting to work. Which option would you personally choose? I know that I would never, under any circumstances, choose the second option. It's very emotionally difficult for a teen to accept that in a world of opportunities, and at an age when every career option seems wide open, that he's destined to be in the lower class of society. It's very depressing to have to think, "I could have become a scientist; I could have become a businessman; I could be the next Bill Gates. I could have made a contribution to society, but instead, I'm a janitor who just gave up the last chance I had at education." The temptation--or rather, desperation--to hold on to every possible opportunity is overwhelming.

I don't know how to articulate this feeling clearly. If you don't know what this feeling is like, the best analogy I can give is receiving a life sentence in prison. Parole is always possible, but you have no idea when, or how likely you'll be to get out. All of a sudden, your life becomes bleak and uncertain, with doors of opportunity closing every passing day.

I'm curious about whether you guys would have the same feelings, or make the same decision. Fortunately, it's not a decision I have to make; I'm not failing, and all of this is hypothetical.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be nice to see just out of school kids get into a work placement first, perhaps for a year or just a few months.
Although this may not apply to every school leaver - I was very immature and uncertain about things when I left school and was unsure of what the world expected of me and how I was expected to go about daily life. I think a first job, amongst other things, will teach you discipline, punctuality, how to get up in the morning, confidence, how to communicate with other people other than using the language of 'mumbling' and learning to deal with responsibilities.
I grew up remarkably when I started my first job, it taught me a lot, experience like this I feel, is vital.

Earning money when young gives you a sense of worth, sometimes pride (when picking up your first wage). Gives you a reason to get up in the morning besides getting up at 12pm. You'll meet new people, perhaps gain new hobbies I feel the list is endless but all this can be used positively when then going onto uni/college with this new routine.

This is only my view and in some cases personal experience.

that he's destined to be in the lower class of society
I no longer believe in class, as a way to differentiate myself from others.
Hard work, and a job well done has it's virtues, no matter what the job.

I think I may have made the comment to which you refer; if so, I do not think that going to work at 16 is always the best option. But for some "students," who are still not inclined to study, and finishing high school by merely "being present," community college is essentially a quick way to get into debt or ruin your credit.

If anyone had a fraction of the will or drive that is suggested by your comments, then they should pursue their education with gusto. But to lounge their way through two or three more years of "post-high-school", and then finish-off a degree in "nothing-much" because they still have no idea yet how to apply themselves...

well a couple of years of basic labor, the same labor that upper-middle level college grads are doing in this market, does wonders to develop a drive. At that point, they could then go into community college, with an idea of what they want to accomplish.

Ideasrule, what's wrong with working and going to school? There is also nothing wrong with working first if you really are in a bad financial position. Many people take one of those two scenarios either by choice or by necessity.

You don't need a college education to make a lot of money. For instance, people in sales can make millions.

This might be an eye opener for you.

Surprising Six-Figure Jobs

Call Center Analyst

You don't think of call center jobs as high-paying jobs; in fact, you tend to think of them as low-paying jobs that are often shipped overseas. But there are a few positions, including call-center analysts, who oversee quality and assurance and train the representatives, and the director of the call center who can make six figures. One listing on Indeed.com for a six-figure job as a QA Call Center Analyst in Chantilly, Va., requires that the person be bilingual -- in English and Spanish. Call Center Directors, meanwhile, have a median salary of $121,000, according to http://www.salary.com.

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/112779/surprising-six-figure-jobs-cnbc?mod=career-salary_negotiation [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
More often than not, it's simply a case of others not being motivated by the same reasons as yourself or not having the opportunity to do so.

I live on the Texas Gulf Coast in the world of oil/gas/chemical plants. This industry supports many people with little to no college education. Many have salaries that surpass any of those that you have mentioned. If money or supporting a family is more important to them than the prestige of a college degree or job title, then there is hardly a better way to do it.

Chi Meson also has a very good point about people who have little to no scholarly ambition/drive. I myself was one of these people. I can tell you that 4 years in the chemical industry has given me more than enough motivation to be able to sit down and do menial homework. Luckily I've made the money to go back and pursue a degree, but the most useful things I've gotten from my experience are life lessons and big dose of reality. I know what it's like to work hard for a living and it has done me a world of good.

Ideasrule, what's wrong with working and going to school? There is also nothing wrong with working first if you really are in a bad financial position. Many people take one of those two scenarios either by choice or by necessity.

Yeah, unfortunately many people are in that situation. However, I wasn't referring to them; I was referring to the 16-year-olds (or 18-year-olds, for HS graduates) who choose to enter a menial job without any plans for college.

You don't need a college education to make a lot of money. For instance, people in sales can make millions.

This might be an eye opener for you.

Wow, it really was. I know salespeople can be highly successful, but I never expected a call center operator to pull in $120,000! Being bilingual in English and Spanish isn't even that impressive, unlike being bilingual in English and Dari.
I think I may have made the comment to which you refer; if so, I do not think that going to work at 16 is always the best option. But for some "students," who are still not inclined to study, and finishing high school by merely "being present," community college is essentially a quick way to get into debt or ruin your credit.

I agree that for those "students", community college probably isn't a good idea. I was just thinking about the emotional impact of abandoning school at 16 for a menial job. I realize that not everybody thinks the same way, though, so perhaps these students don't feel any reluctance or regret.

ideasrule said:
I know that I would never, under any circumstances, choose the second option.

Let me preface this by saying that I, too, could never imagine abandoning school or further education. By nature, I'm a learner, so it's unfathomable to me to consider dropping out of school.

That said, there are some young people who don't intend to work in low-paying jobs forever, but they've been in school their whole lives (sometimes against their will) and just want a break from it. They take a low-paying job--thinking it's temporary until they come up with a better idea for a real career--so they can have the cash to buy a car, hang out with friends, maybe get their first apartment and have some "freedom" for the first time, etc. But then they might fall in love, which keeps them out of school longer (e.g., they want to spend their time with a girlfriend instead of in a boring classroom). Or they get pregnant (which almost guarantees they'll have to keep working and won't be able to return to school). Or they've moved out of their parents by then and have to pay rent, or might have a car payment, and so they need to work in order to meet those financial obligations. If you're struggling financially, it's hard to imagine forgoing or reducing your income to return to school; after all, if you can't pay your bills now, how will you do it when you don't have nearly as much money coming in?

Or, as in the case of a relative of mine, by the time they realize they're stuck in a dead-end job, they're convinced they're too old to go to college or afraid they wouldn't be able to handle the course work since they've been out of school too long; in that case, they think it's too late to do anything about it.

There's also a subset of young people who really don't think too far ahead into the future; they're more concerned with today and the immediate future. They [optimistically] think tomorrow will take care of itself. They imagine a better job will come along, or they'll advance in the one they have now.

ideasrule said:
I was just thinking about the emotional impact of abandoning school at 16 for a menial job. I realize that not everybody thinks the same way, though, so perhaps these students don't feel any reluctance or regret.

Some of those 16 year-olds might not feel any regret about it when they're still single and young; they're working, but they might also have a lot of freedom for the first time ever and some cash in their pockets--who doesn't enjoy that? The regret will generally come later when they realize it's practically impossible to buy a house when you're earning $8.00/hour, or when they find themselves with a kid or two and can't afford anything other than the bare necessities (if they can even manage those without government or family assistance).

ideasrule said:
I agree that for those "students", community college probably isn't a good idea. I was just thinking about the emotional impact of abandoning school at 16 for a menial job. I realize that not everybody thinks the same way, though, so perhaps these students don't feel any reluctance or regret.

I think the core of the issue is in the emotional words you use: "abandoning" and "regret." If anyone is force to abandon school, that would be a terrible thing, and as a teacher it is pure anathema to what I believe in.

The type of person for whom "workforce-at-16" (most of Europe would refer to this as "apprenticeship") would be a better plan, is the person who would see it as emancipation rather than abandonment.

In the US, we make believe that everyone must go to college, as though $10,000 to $50,000 of debt is required to properly learn how to sell merchandise at the mall, or count the rolls of spools in the box (or even double-check the calibration of the computer that counts the spools). We still have those jobs in the US, but we instill this feeling that those jobs are beneath our dignity.

If by the age of 21, a worker has learned how to be the best spool-counter-calibrator, but then finds his job moved to China, and he now regrets not going to college, he might feel as though he was in a prison, but at that time a C.C. could provide an escape (maybe, maybe).

In contrast, if an uninspired student finishes a weak degree at the age of 21, has a lot of college debt and no real work experience, they will find themselves in a prison of debt that is much less of a maybe.

[/long-winded post]

Chi Meson, I think you're right.

To add to this discussion:

There are plenty of college graduates, and even many who went on to graduate degrees, who regret having spent so much time and money attending college. I know several Physics PhDs who wish they never bothered with the PhD and had instead gone with a bachelor's in engineering or accounting. I know one astronomer (PhD with a research job at a university) who says he wishes he had just stuck with playing piano for a living! And one of our neighbors got an English degree...he's working at Starbucks. He has tons of student loan debt--he's never mentioned how much, exactly, but I get the feeling it's hard to pay off that debt while working as a barista. In his case, he'd be in a much better financial position if he hadn't attended college at all.

See? Some people regret not going to school, and some people regret having gone to school.

What are the main factors to consider when making the decision between college and work?

The main factors to consider are personal interests, career goals, financial situation, and educational opportunities.

How do I know if I am ready for college or if I should start working?

Consider your academic performance in high school, your ability to manage your time and responsibilities, and your overall readiness for the challenges of college.

What are the potential benefits of going to college?

Some potential benefits include gaining knowledge and skills in a specific field, networking opportunities, increased job opportunities and higher earning potential.

What are the potential drawbacks of going straight into the workforce?

Some potential drawbacks include limited career advancement opportunities, lower earning potential, and lack of job security without a college degree.

Can I work while attending college?

Yes, it is possible to work while attending college. Many students have part-time jobs or internships to help cover their expenses and gain work experience.