Boost Your Workouts with Soothing Music: Discover Japanese Smooth Jazz Artists

• Music
  • Thread starter Mentalist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of listening to music while working, whether it helps or hinders productivity. Some suggestions for artists and genres are given, including Erik Satie, Phillip Glass, classical music, and Tycho. It is also mentioned that it is important to be considerate of others when playing music in a shared workspace.
Mentalist
We, or most of us, listen to music whilst working out, so how about working? Does soothing, relaxing sounds help facilitate your working environment, or banging of bells? Please post some artists to help me find some new music to listen to, so far I've been listening to Erik Satie (The Best Of), Phillip Glass - The Orange Mountain, and the 99 Dakest Classical Pieces (halloween theme for the month).

Anyone know of some Japanese smooth Jazz artists?

Science news on Phys.org
If you are working in close proximity to others, it is rude to play music. If your company allows music at your desk, and you don't have a closed office, wear an earbud and don't sing.

We had a woman that put a radio on her desk and sang along to the crap. Her radio disappeared shortly before she got fired. If she had worked more and listened less, she might not have lost her job. You can't have a dozen different songs all playing at the same time within earshot, it's very disturbing.

Evo said:
If you are working in close proximity to others, it is rude to play music. If your company allows music at your desk, and you don't have a closed office, wear an earbud and don't sing.

We had a woman that put a radio on her desk and sang along to the crap. Her radio disappeared shortly before she got fired. If she had worked more and listened less, she might not have lost her job. You can't have a dozen different songs all playing at the same time within earshot, it's very disturbing.

I think we can give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and assume he isn't talking about blasting music in proximity to his coworkers.

The OP said "working out", not "working".

I can't listen to music and work at the same time, it breaks my concentration. As for working out, whatever the gym is playing is ok by me. I hate to wear headphones or earbuds.

I listen to music in my car while driving the 50+ miles I need to drive every day. That's enough music for me for the day.

Any Pink Floyd song, muddy waters, howlin wolf or any good chicago blues and delta blues really, velvet underground, and led zeppelin are what I normally listen to whilst doing work.

Ben Niehoff said:

I can't listen to music and work at the same time, it breaks my concentration. As for working out, whatever the gym is playing is ok by me. I hate to wear headphones or earbuds.
No, the post is about playing music at work.

Mentalist said:
so how about working? Does soothing, relaxing sounds help facilitate your working environment

bossman27 said:
I think we can give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and assume he isn't talking about blasting music in proximity to his coworkers.
It doesn't have to be blaring if it's on the other side of a cubicle divider, it can be very quiet and still drive you nuts. Just don't do it unless you ask everyone around you for permission first.

Evo said:

Oh, no, I didn't mean it in that sense. When I work, I work in a room that is closed and usually have the music turned down any-way as I don't like listening to loud music. I was pointing the question more to people doing research on their own and working at home, not strictly in the office.

But wow, that lady was certainly rude.

Mentalist said:
Oh, no, I didn't mean it in that sense. When I work, I work in a room that is closed and usually have the music turned down any-way as I don't like listening to loud music. I was pointing the question more to people doing research on their own and working at home, not strictly in the office.
Oh, well that's fine.

But wow, that lady was certainly rude.
And she ate sunflowers in the shell all day. When she left each day, the floor was covered by at least an inch of sunflower seed shells. People came from all over the building to take a look. I believe housekeeping complained. She didn't last very long.

I often listen to jazz at my desk. But I work in a place with old-fashioned offices, with walls and doors (yay!). The volume is so low, people standing in my doorway can't hear it.

I frequently hear sports radio from my co-worker's office :mad:. Especially this time of year - football season. But I'm comfortable asking him to turn it down if it's too annoying.

Mentalist said:
We, or most of us, listen to music whilst working out, so how about working? Does soothing, relaxing sounds help facilitate your working environment, or banging of bells? Please post some artists to help me find some new music to listen to, so far I've been listening to Erik Satie (The Best Of), Phillip Glass - The Orange Mountain, and the 99 Dakest Classical Pieces (halloween theme for the month).

Anyone know of some Japanese smooth Jazz artists?

I like to prove theorems or write programs while listening to Tycho radio (a custom station I've created via Pandora). No lyrics, just relaxing music. I'm not sure of the genre. Here's a sample:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgJOAdo8HQQ

Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:

For the same reason, I can't listen to music and work out at the same time... at least not if I want a good work out, or if I want to work out a long time. I tend to work out to the rhythm of the song playing, so sometimes that's not very fast... I will however listen to "talk" while running. Like, when I was learning foreign languages while training for a half marathon, I listened to radio casts in that language while I ran. My mind was able to drift off and study while my body just ran for 2 hours straight.

At work I similarly don't listen to anything, unless I'm trying really hard not to be distracted, then I'll listen to white noise.

my work is schoolwork and I *can't* listen to music when I am doing physics or whatever

unless it's like really methodical, then I get waaay too distracted

I really like working in complete silence

I'm an undergrad (computational physics), so I imagine my "working" environment is a little different than many of you. That said, I own a nice pair of over-the-ear headphones and frequently listen to music while working. When I'm learning something brand new, or reading, music does tend to be a distraction, and I avoid it. Most of my study time, however, is spent working out practice/homework problems, writing code, or just playing around with equations to get a better intuitive feel for them. When I'm doing things of that nature, I find music really helps me get into a groove and concentrate for longer periods of time without getting distracted.

In short, for me: "doing something actively" = music, "learning/reading/absorbing" = no music.

I think I probably have a somewhat unique take on why the music helps me: at least part of it is that I have a bit of a psychomotor agitation issue (probably, I believe, due to mild OCD), where I often feel a need to shake my leg(s), bite my pen, etc. It's not much of a problem, in that can stop doing these things easily if I think about it, but when I'm concentrating on something else, I'll find myself unconsciously bouncing my knees, swiveling my chair back and forth, or even picking at my thumbs, etc. -- I find that listening to "chill," but still sort of upbeat music helps me feel more comfortable: I naturally bob/move my head to the music a little bit, and I actually end up having significantly less "agitated" movement, plus it all feels more natural when it's to the rhythm of a good song. This allows me to focus on what I'm writing/doing without being distracted by my own unconscious movement, and I get into a zone where I am much more productive than I would be otherwise.

Some examples of artists I listen to:

On the more relaxed end: Nujabes, Emancipator, Thievery Corporation, Youth Lagoon
Nujabes - Aruarian Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUwRGPxCG_Y
A nice 30min instrumental mix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUOUiUsAzE&feature=related

More upbeat: Reptar, Phantogram, Vacationer, Pretty Lights, Ratatat, Surfer Blood, Alt-J, Cut Copy

Sometimes I throw some Reggae and oldies in there too.

Dembadon said:
I like to prove theorems or write programs while listening to Tycho radio (a custom station I've created via Pandora). No lyrics, just relaxing music. I'm not sure of the genre. Here's a sample:

Also just wanted to say to Dembadon that I'd never heard Tycho before, but it sounds a lot like the type of music I like to listen while working as well. Thanks for the tip!

Nice tunes bossman, I just got onto Nujabes recently, really good stuff. :)

I listen to a lot of electronic music and I like stuff with no obvious hooks, just a light, repetitive beat, and some interesting harmonies. Something I can nod my head and zone out to, it helps me concentrate. Lately some favourites include:

Oren Ambarchi - Sagitarian Domain (drawn out electric guitar adventure)
Cinematic Orchestra - Everyday (acid jazz of sorts)
cv313 - Live (shimmering dub techno)

I like background noise when studying (nothing with lyrics or i will be distracted), but lately I have found that classical music is perfect thing to cover up noises in the library--people sniffling and discussing their homework problems etc. Turns out a lot of old church hymns on the classical Pandora station have beautiful piano in them

What is the benefit of listening to Japanese smooth jazz during workouts?

Listening to Japanese smooth jazz can help improve your overall workout experience in several ways. Firstly, the soothing and relaxing nature of the music can help reduce stress and anxiety, allowing you to focus on your workout more effectively. Additionally, the rhythmic beats and melodies can help keep you motivated and energized throughout your workout, leading to better performance and endurance.

Are there any specific Japanese smooth jazz artists that are recommended for workouts?

Yes, there are several Japanese smooth jazz artists that are known for their upbeat and energizing music, making them perfect for workouts. Some popular artists include Keiko Matsui, T-Square, and Hiroshima. Their music often incorporates elements of traditional Japanese music with modern jazz, creating a unique and invigorating sound.

Can listening to music during workouts improve physical performance?

Yes, studies have shown that listening to music during workouts can improve physical performance in several ways. For one, it can help distract from feelings of fatigue and discomfort, allowing you to push through a tough workout. Additionally, the rhythm of the music can help regulate your movements, leading to better coordination and efficiency.

Is Japanese smooth jazz suitable for all types of workouts?

Yes, Japanese smooth jazz can be a great addition to any type of workout, whether it's cardio, weightlifting, or even yoga. The calming and uplifting nature of the music can benefit any type of exercise, helping you to stay focused and motivated throughout your routine.

Can listening to music during workouts have any negative effects?

In general, listening to music during workouts is a personal preference and may not have any negative effects. However, it's important to listen at a safe volume to avoid damaging your hearing. Additionally, if you find that music is distracting you from proper form or technique, it may be best to limit its use during your workout.

Back