Calculate Distance of 5Kg Object on Frictional Surface: Matt's Help

• Thread starter Physics258744
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is calculating the distance of an object with a mass of 5Kg on a frictional surface, with a force of 15n accelerating it to 12ms-1. The individual is unsure of where to start and is considering rearranging the equation A= V-U/t into T= (V+U) x A to find the time and use it in the Distance, Speed Time Triangle. However, the resulting answer of 144 does not seem correct and they are unsure if they are doing it correctly. They are seeking help and have been provided with some equations to address their interest in kinematics.
Physics258744
the problem is i have an object which has a mass of 5Kg it is on a frictional Surface a force of 15n acts on it which accelerates it to 12ms-1 i don't even know where to start to work out the distance i was thinking could you rearrange A= V-U divided by t (sorry it won't let me do the proper equation)

Into T= (V+U) x A
to work to work out time so i can put it into the Distance, Speed Time Triangle.
but
the answer 144 doesn't seem right am i doing it right or just going totality wrong ?

Thanks for your help in advance Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics258744 said:
the problem is i have an object which has a mass of 5Kg it is on a frictional Surface a force of 15n acts on it which accelerates it to 12ms-1 i don't even know where to start to work out the distance i was thinking could you rearrange A= V-U divided by t (sorry it won't let me do the proper equation)

Into T= (V+U) x A
to work to work out time so i can put it into the Distance, Speed Time Triangle.
but
the answer 144 doesn't seem right am i doing it right or just going totality wrong ?

Thanks for your help in advance Matt

Welcome to PF.

Here are some equations that may address your interest in kinematics.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=905663&postcount=2

From your force equation you know acceleration is 3m/s
Your final velocity is 12?

V2 = 2*a*x

Thank you :)

1. How do you calculate the distance of a 5kg object on a frictional surface?

The distance of a 5kg object on a frictional surface can be calculated using the formula d = μmg, where d is the distance, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The value of μ can be determined based on the type of surface the object is on.

2. What is the significance of calculating the distance of a 5kg object on a frictional surface?

Calculating the distance of a 5kg object on a frictional surface is important in understanding the movement and forces acting on the object. It can also help in predicting the amount of work and energy required to move the object on the surface.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the distance on a frictional surface?

The mass of the object has a direct effect on the distance it will travel on a frictional surface. Heavier objects will generally require more force and energy to move a certain distance compared to lighter objects.

4. Can friction be eliminated on a surface?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated on a surface. It is a natural force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact with each other. However, the amount of friction can be reduced by using lubricants or by choosing a smoother surface.

5. Does the surface temperature affect the distance of the object on a frictional surface?

Yes, the surface temperature can affect the distance of the object on a frictional surface. Higher temperatures can increase the kinetic energy of the particles on the surface, causing them to move more freely and reducing the amount of friction. Conversely, lower temperatures can increase the amount of friction as the particles are less energetic.