1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out speed without time

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    If a man who weighs 1000Newtons(N) makes a bungee jump off a bridge with a 6m bungee rope, this rope has a elastic constant of 2000N/m

A) what is the fastest speed he reaches
    B)what is his maximuum kinectic energy
    C)how far will bungee rope extend until energy is transformed to elastic potential energy

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma, F=kx E=1/2*k*x^2 these are all i know

3. G= 9.81m^2 Gravity*weight/2000 sorry IDK guys please help GCSE Science

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2
    Are you familiar with potential and kinetic energy?

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    yes i m thanks for replying

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4
    Could you divide this jump in phases? What energy do you have at the bridge, what energy do you have before the "rope" starts stretching?

6. Oct 25, 2012 #5
    Check your question values. That bungee rope looks rather stiff. You might have picked up an extra zero.

7. Oct 25, 2012 #6
    Thanks for trying to help me guys appreciate i ve got the answer now
    first 1/2*m*v^2 = mgh
    then pug in the values

8. Oct 26, 2012 #7
    Hello, John.

Your equation above would work for a situation before rope starts stretching.

You have a 3 key situations: before jump (potential energy is max), before stretching of the rope (kinetic energy is max) and after stretching ("spring" energy).

Please look into photos I attached.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook