Calculating the p.d. Across EC - Get an Explanation

• Thread starter cheekymonkey
  • Start date
In summary, The p.d. across EC is 3 V. To get this answer, the 4 V potential difference needs to be split into 2 k ohms, 2 k ohms, and 1 kilo ohm. There is no voltage drop in the wire, so the voltage at A and E is also 4V. However, there is a 0.5V drop between C and D and a 1V drop between E+F and F+G. There is no easy way to calculate this and it may require trial and error.
cheekymonkey

Homework Statement

What is the p.d. across EC?

Sorry about the bad drawing.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you need to split the 4 V into the 2 k ohms, 2 k ohms and 1 kilo ohm. The answer is 3 V. I'm not sure how to get this answer. Someone explain please?

Attachments

• CIRCUIT.JPG
    CIRCUIT.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried all ready? I'll help by saying that ruling out any voltage drop in the wire:

Voltage at A = Voltage at E = 4V

I'm really not sure. I've tried the V between C and D to be o.5 V and the V between E+F and F+G to be 1 V, but it doesn't work..

I've tried lots of other combinations too. Is there an easy way to calculate? I mean if I was in an exam this question would take me a while because all I am doing is guessing numbers.

1. What is the p.d. across an electrolytic cell?

The p.d. (potential difference) across an electrolytic cell refers to the difference in electrical potential between the two electrodes in the cell. It is often measured in volts (V) and is crucial in understanding the flow of electricity within the cell.

2. How do you calculate the p.d. across an electrolytic cell?

To calculate the p.d. across an electrolytic cell, you need to know the current (I) flowing through the cell and the resistance (R) of the cell. Then, you can use Ohm's law (V = IR) to determine the p.d. across the cell. Alternatively, if you know the voltage (V) and the resistance (R), you can use the formula I = V/R to calculate the current and then use Ohm's law to find the p.d.

3. Can the p.d. across an electrolytic cell change?

Yes, the p.d. across an electrolytic cell can change. It is dependent on the current and resistance of the cell, both of which can vary. Changes in these factors can result in a change in the p.d. across the cell. Additionally, the p.d. may also change if the electrolyte concentration or temperature of the cell changes.

4. What are some factors that can affect the p.d. across an electrolytic cell?

Some factors that can affect the p.d. across an electrolytic cell include the current flowing through the cell, the resistance of the cell, the concentration of the electrolyte, and the temperature of the cell. Additionally, the type of electrodes used and the surface area of the electrodes can also impact the p.d.

5. Why is it important to calculate the p.d. across an electrolytic cell?

Calculating the p.d. across an electrolytic cell is important because it helps in understanding the flow of electricity within the cell. It also allows for the determination of the current and resistance of the cell, which are important parameters in many electrochemical reactions. Additionally, knowing the p.d. can help in optimizing the cell's performance and identifying any potential issues or changes in the cell's environment.