Working out the velocity after a collision

In summary, the question is about calculating the velocity of two bodies after a head-on collision. The bodies have masses of 4kg and 3kg, and initial velocities of 2ms-1 and 5ms-1 respectively. The collision is inelastic, meaning the bodies stick together and move off with the same velocity. The equation used to solve this problem is m1*u1 + m2*u2 = (m1+m2)*v, where m1 and m2 are the masses, u1 and u2 are the initial velocities, and v is the final velocity. After some calculations, the final velocity is found to be -1 ms-1.
Matt.D
Hi guys, first time poster whose not sure if he's in the right forum, but here goes.

I have a question that reads:

A body, A, of mas 4kg moves with a velocity of 2ms-1 and collides head-on with another body, B, of mass 3kg moving in the opposite direction at 5 ms-1. After the collision the bodies move off together with the velocity v. Calculate v.

This is probably basic to most, but I've just returned to college. I'm not looking for the answers as such, but rather if someone could point me to the right equation. The ones I've tried using are:

m1 u1 + m2 v2 = m1 v1 + m2 v2

and

mv = mv1+mv2

and

mv1 = (M = m)v2 (I think this is wrong because its for an inelastic collision)

Thanks for reading!

Matt

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that

m1v1 +m2v2=(m1+m2)V

should work since the balls stick together their mass combines and they have the same velocity.

What makes you think the collision is elastic?

--J

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies!

Justin, until I re-read the question I didn't realize that it says 'the bodies move off together' so I guess it could be inelastic.

Thanks for the tip Arlamos. This is the solution I come up with.

m1• u1 + m2• u2 = m1• v1 + m2• v2
4 • 2 + 3 • 5 = 4 • 6 + 3 • v2
8 + 15 = 24 + 3v2
23 = 24 + 3v2
-23 -24
-1 = 3v2
v2 = - 1/3

I had a similar problem to this a few weeks ago and the way I worked it out looked similar. I'm going to college tomorrow (first day back) so I can check with my friends and I'll come back and tell you my findings. I can't hang stay online now, I'm in the UK and it's getting a bit late ;)

Thanks again for your feedback, it's been most useful!

Matt

Matt.D said:
m1• u1 + m2• u2 = m1• v1 + m2• v2
Realize that v1 = v2 = v. The collision is perfectly inelastic.
Better to write it as Arlamos suggested:
m1*u1 + m2*u2 = (m1 + m2)*v
4 • 2 + 3 • 5 = 4 • 6 + 3 • v2
Realize that the initial velocities are in opposite directions; so if one is positive, the other must be negative:
4*2 + 3*(-5) = (4 + 3)*v

Thanks for replying Doc Al. I had a discussion with one of my friends who pointed out that it needed to be negative. I've had a quick sketch on my pad and have come up with;

m1*u1 + m2*u2 = (m1+m2)*v
4*2 + 3*(-5) = (4+3)*v
8 + -15 = 7v
-7 = 7v
/7 /7

v = -1 ms-1

1. What is the formula for calculating velocity after a collision?

The formula for calculating velocity after a collision is v = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects involved in the collision, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the two objects.

2. How do you determine the direction of the final velocity after a collision?

The direction of the final velocity after a collision can be determined by the law of conservation of momentum. If the total momentum of the system before the collision is in a certain direction, the final velocity will also be in that direction.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved bounce off each other without any loss of energy. In an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. Can the final velocity after a collision be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, the final velocity after a collision can be greater than the initial velocity in some cases. This is usually seen in inelastic collisions where some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, resulting in a decrease in the total mass and an increase in velocity.

5. How do you calculate the coefficient of restitution in a collision?

The coefficient of restitution can be calculated using the formula e = (v2 - v1)/(u1 - u2), where e is the coefficient of restitution, v1 and v2 are the final velocities of the two objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the two objects. The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how bouncy the collision is, with a value of 1 indicating a perfectly elastic collision and a value of 0 indicating a completely inelastic collision.