1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working out uncertainty in superimposed coherent states using the density operator!

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a quantum oscillator in a mixed state described by the density operator [itex]\rho = \frac{1}{2}( |\alpha><\alpha| + |-\alpha><-\alpha| ) [/itex]. Calculate [itex] \Delta (\hat{X}^2)_1 [/itex] and [itex] \Delta (\hat{X}^2)_2 [/itex] in this case.

Where X1 and X2 are the dimensionless position and momentum operators:
    [tex] \hat{X}_1 = \frac{1}{2}(a + a^{\dagger}) [/tex]
    and
    [tex] \hat{X}_2 = \frac{1}{2i}(a - a^{\dagger}) [/tex]

Also, the state [itex] |\alpha> [/itex] (and -alpha) are coherent states, and so are eigenfunctions of the creation/annihilation operators.

2. Relevant equations
    Well, I know how to calculate the uncertainty in a measurement, given the expectation values of X1, X2, X1^2 and X2^2. I also know that [itex] < \hat{A} > = Tr[ \hat{\rho} \hat{A} ] [/itex].

Since the states in the density operator are coherent, we know that:
    [tex] <\alpha|\beta> = e^{ -|\alpha^2|/2 - |\beta^2|/2 + \beta^{\ast}\alpha} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Based on what I know, to get the uncertainty in X1 and X2, I need 2 calculate the expectation values for X1, X1^2 and X2, X2^2, which means I need to expand everthing out into the 'a' and 'a-dagger' relations... right? Taking X1 as an example:

[tex]<X_1> = \frac{1}{4} ( \sum{m} <m|\alpha><\alpha| a + a^{\dagger} |-\alpha><-\alpha|X_1|m> [/tex].

I was wondering if this is the way to do this question, because thats alot of work to expand that out and yet this is the easier expression! I then have 2 expand out X1^2 in terms of a and a\dagger's, and work all that out, so before I really get down to doing pages of maths, I just wanna check that this is the right way to do this question.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?