1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working towards BS General Chemistry, having second thoughts x:

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    Hi guys-

I hope this is the right place to put this... I kind of want objective feedback, even if I don't like it c:

I am currently in my 3rd year, 1st semester of college, and since high school, I have been stuck in the mindset that I will major in chemistry. I really wanted and still want to make perfumes, fragrances, or work generally with aromatic compounds and manipulate them in a consumer friendly way. (You get the picture).

I love the concepts of chemistry. I am currently in my second term and 3rd year of chemistry club on campus and am very involved in that. I am a serious student, and although my grades aren't straight A's, nothing is below a B. I am also in the honors program on campus.

Up until now, I have really enjoyed all of my chemistry lectures, and have gotten good grades in them. I also have good lab grades- however... I am finding more and more that I truly hate going in to lab each day. I don't think I can pinpoint why exactly that is- but lately my dislike of lab has increased exponentially. I am currently working for the stockroom on campus (which sets up/creates the chemicals necessary for labs) and once the primary excitement wore off I began to feel dissatisfied/displeased/dread.

It's gotten to the point that I've considered changing my major- I am considering changing to Geology. A lot of the requirements for the courses are similar, so my work won't be in vain, and I would definitely still opt for a minor in Chemistry. I have always loved and been interested in rocks, and as stupid and superficial, and as airheaded as that decision sounds, I think it might be something that interests me more. I understand that I wouldn't be getting away from lab completely, but I would at least get to see the sun and perhaps if I get the right job, even travel to some amazing places. ( I don't mind the writing either).

I used to care a lot about how much money I would make, but this semester and this job are really making me realize just what a chemistry degree would entail. I don't plan on getting a doctorate (at least not in Chem), and I've heard a little about an MBA- which is interesting, but I don't quite understand.

So I guess my questions are:
    a- Does anyone have experience in Geology that can tell me of some careers perhaps related to geology and chemistry?
    b- Or does anyone know honestly what the job market right now looks for geologists vs. chemists?
    c- Or even does anyone know what an MBA is or an alternative to a lab-based career in chemistry?
    d- how's the pay for either of these fields? Though I'm not particularly looking to get rich, I want to live comfortably-
    e- Or, as a geologist, how much do you travel? (I have to ask ~ ).
    f- does anyone have feedback about their experiences majoring in chem/geol?

I'M SORRY FOR THE ESSAY- but I would be indebted to anyone who has feedback.

I really, really appreciate if you took time to read this!
    Thanks,
    Emy

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted