Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with NaF and KF

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1
    Hi!
    I would like to ask if you have some experience how is to work with NaF and KF at 1000°C but in the lab not under fumecoboard.
    I know that is toxic but I do not see at the moment how to protect myself since the lab is not well equipped
    Thank you for your advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2
  4. Aug 15, 2006 #3
    1000C? Surely you are working in the molten state. And why are you doing such a thing? Working with any liquid salt is very dangerous especially without the proper equipment and container. What may I ask are you using as a container? It will eat through glass....

5. Aug 20, 2006 #4
    I agree with you.
    When I was PhD student in G****** people were paying much attention to such things but now, in A****** I cannot believe that is allowed to work in such bad conditions in a such prestigious school.
    Personally I have no motivation to work and I feel very bad.

what do you mean by container?

6. Aug 20, 2006 #5
    I was wondering what you or the lab planned to use for a container to hold the molten fluorides...the crucible.

7. Aug 21, 2006 #6
    I use inconel. But it was destroyed.

8. Aug 21, 2006 #7
    lol and I was going to suggest Monel or Hastelloy

platinum would survive

9. Aug 21, 2006 #8
    surely but it is too expensive .
    the dimensions are quite large

i am thinking to use alumina

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?