Proofing Self-Adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday Night

• Thread starter atomicpedals
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the person is doing proofs on a Saturday night and is trying to work out if the following is true: (AB+BA) is self-adjoint, that is (AB+BA)=(AB+BA)* (using a * instead of a dagger). They think they can show this if they can distribute the dagger through a sum using the integral formalism.
atomicpedals
So I'm doing some proofs on a Saturday night... working on proving that (AB+BA) is self-adjoint, that is (AB+BA)=(AB+BA)* (using a * instead dagger).

What I want to know is if the following is true:

(AB+BA)*=B*A*+A*B* ?

Physics news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:
What I want to know is if the following is true:

(AB+BA)*=B*A*+A*B* ?

That's correct.

Can I express it as two integrals?

[itex]\int\psi(AB)\psi*dx+\int\psi(BA)\psi*dx[/itex]

I think what you're trying to prove doesn't work in the general case, for A and B unbounded, but only for both of them bounded or at least A. If one of these restraining conditions is met, then

[tex] (AB+BA)^{\dagger} = (AB)^{\dagger} + (BA)^{\dagger} = B^{\dagger} A^{\dagger} + A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} = AB+BA [/tex]

for A and B self-adjoint.

For the general case, you can only show that AB+BA is symmetric for A and B s-adj.

I think I have to assume that A and B are Hermitian. After thinking about it showing that (AB+BA) is also Hermitian should also effectively demonstrate they're self-adjoint. In the way I've been wanting to go about it (which you outlined perfectly), I don't think I have a mathematical justification to state that

[tex] B^{\dagger} A^{\dagger} + A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} = AB+BA [/tex]

Ok, does this follow at all?

[tex] (AB+BA)^{\dagger} = (AB)^{\dagger} + (BA)^{\dagger} = B^{\dagger} A^{\dagger} + A^{\dagger}B^{\dagger} = \int \psi * (AB)^{\dagger} \psi dr + \int \psi * (BA)^{\dagger} \psi dr = \int (B\psi) * A^{\dagger} \psi dr +\int (A\psi) * B^{\dagger} \psi dr = AB + BA [/tex]

There's no need to bring integrals into this. If an operator A is self-adjoint, you have [itex]A=A^\dagger[/itex]. Use that fact to replace all the adjoints in [itex]B^\dagger A^\dagger + A^\dagger B^\dagger[/itex]. What do you end up with?

I end up with (AB+BA), however I'm being pedagogically required to use the integral definition of an adjoint hence the invocation of integrals (mercifully it doesn't have to be an epsilon-delta style proof).

Last edited:
Well, it's not correct to write something like
[tex]\hat{A} = \int \psi^* \hat{A} \psi \,d\vec{r}[/tex]The two sides of the equations are different types of objects. In particular, the righthand side is just a number.

Also, have you established the property [itex](A+B)^\dagger = A^\dagger+B^\dagger[/itex] already? How about [itex](AB)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger[/itex]?

How are you justifying going from [itex]\int \psi^* (AB)^\dagger \psi\,d\vec{r}[/itex] to [itex]\int (B\psi)^* A^\dagger \psi\,d\vec{r}[/itex]?

I have established

[itex](AB)^\dagger = B^\dagger A^\dagger[/itex]

as [itex](AB)^\dagger = \int \psi^* (AB)^\dagger \psi dr = \int (AB \psi)^* \psi dr
= \int (B \psi)^* A^\dagger \psi dr = \int \psi^* B^\dagger A^\dagger \psi dr \Rightarrow B^\dagger A^\dagger[/itex]

No good?

Last edited:
That's fine. It's just hard knowing which properties you can use and which you can't yet since you're being asked to justify some pretty basic things.

So if you can show that you can distribute the dagger through a sum, you're essentially done. Have you done that?

Yeah, my prof is very much of the school of thought "If you want to use it, prove it."

I guess I'm not totally sure how I would show the distribution of the dagger across the sum using the integral formalism I'm being asked to adopt.

Start the same way and use [itex](A+B)\psi = A\psi+B\psi[/itex] and the linearity of integration.

Ah, OK. Now I get it. Thanks for the help!

1. How do you prove self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night?

To prove self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night, you can use the spectral theorem which states that a matrix is self-adjoint if and only if it is diagonalizable with real eigenvalues. You can also use the properties of adjoint operators and the commutativity of scalar multiplication to simplify the proof.

2. Can (AB+BA) be self-adjoint if A and B are not self-adjoint?

Yes, (AB+BA) can be self-adjoint even if A and B are not self-adjoint. However, the converse is not true. A and B must both be self-adjoint for (AB+BA) to be self-adjoint.

3. What is the significance of proving self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night?

Proving self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night is important because it confirms that the operator is Hermitian, meaning it has real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors. This property is crucial in many areas of mathematics and physics, including quantum mechanics and functional analysis.

4. Can (AB+BA) be self-adjoint if A and B do not commute?

No, (AB+BA) cannot be self-adjoint if A and B do not commute. The commutativity of A and B is a necessary condition for (AB+BA) to be self-adjoint. If A and B do not commute, then (AB+BA) will not have real eigenvalues and orthogonal eigenvectors.

5. Are there any other methods for proving self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night?

Yes, there are other methods for proving self-adjointness of (AB+BA) on a Saturday night. One method is using the polar decomposition theorem, which states that any matrix A can be decomposed into a unitary matrix U and a positive semidefinite matrix P. By representing (AB+BA) as the product of two matrices, you can use this theorem to show that (AB+BA) is self-adjoint.