Working with Peng Robinson EOS

• Thread starter HoopsNut 4L
  • Start date
In summary, using the Peng Robinson Equation of State and the given properties of mercury, the work required to adiabatically and reversibly compress vapor mercury from 0.1 MPa to 10 MPa can be calculated by finding the change in temperature using the Cp/R value and solving for V using the given equations. However, further information is needed regarding the density and Tr values in order to fully solve the problem.
HoopsNut 4L

Homework Statement

Vapor mercury is to be adiabatically and reversibly compressed from 0.1 MPa to 10 MPa in a
continuous process. Compute the work required in Joules per mole.

Properties of Mercury

Tc =1735 K, Pc =161 MPa.

ω=-0.1644, CP/R =2.5

Homework Equations

The Peng Robinson Equation of State...(see attached file)

work=delta(H)

H=Cp*delta(T)

(Cp/R)*R= Cp

R=8.314

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble getting started. I think I need to solve PREOS for the T to find the change in T. But that can't be all because I still don't know the density. So that's one equation and twp unknown. On top of that, I have Pc, Tc rather than T and P. If I don't have Tr I can't find those.

It must be rather apparent that I need some serious help. If anyone can help get me on the right track I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PREOS.doc
    20 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peng Robinson Equation of StateP=RT/V-a*(1-Tr^0.5)/(V^2)+ b*(1-Tr^0.5)/V^3wherea= 0.45724*R^2*Tc^2.5/Pcb= 0.07780*R*Tc^1.5/Pc

What is Peng Robinson EOS?

Peng Robinson EOS stands for Peng-Robinson Equation of State. It is a thermodynamic equation used to model the behavior of gases and liquids. It is particularly useful for non-ideal gases and mixtures of substances.

What are the advantages of using Peng Robinson EOS?

One of the main advantages of using Peng Robinson EOS is its accuracy in predicting the behavior of non-ideal gases and mixtures. It also takes into account the intermolecular interactions between molecules, making it a more accurate model compared to simpler equations of state.

How does Peng Robinson EOS work?

Peng Robinson EOS uses a combination of physical parameters, such as temperature, pressure, and molar volume, to calculate the compressibility factor of a gas or liquid. This factor is then used to determine other thermodynamic properties, such as density and enthalpy.

What are the limitations of Peng Robinson EOS?

One limitation of Peng Robinson EOS is that it is not suitable for highly polar or highly associated substances, as it does not take into account the effects of dipole-dipole interactions. It also does not account for changes in temperature or pressure, making it less accurate at extreme conditions.

How is Peng Robinson EOS used in practical applications?

Peng Robinson EOS is commonly used in the petroleum and chemical industries for process design and simulation. It is also used in reservoir engineering to predict the behavior of oil and gas reservoirs. Additionally, it is used in the design of pipelines and other equipment that handle gases and liquids.