1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Working with series

1. Jun 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

First of all, I'm encountering this problem in a Calc 2/Sequences and Series class, so I havn't taken Diff. Eq's yet. Also, I've never used latex before so i'm iffy on it, but all the sigmas are from n = 0 to infinity. Here's the problem statement:

The Bessel function of order 1 is defined by

[tex]\jmath_{1}(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

Show that [tex]\jmath_{1}(x)[/tex] satisfies the differential equation

[tex]x^{2}\jmath_{1}''(x) + x\jmath_{1}'(x) + (x^{2} - 1)\jmath_{1}(x) = 0[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Simply differentiating [tex]\jmath_{1}(x)[/tex] twice:

[tex]\jmath_{1}'(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n} (2n+1) x^{2n}}{n! (n+1)! 2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\jmath_{1}''(x) = \sum \frac{(-1)^{n} (4n^{2}+2n) x^{2n-1}}{n! (n+1)! 2^{2n+1}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Being very unsure of where to start, I simply plugged in the series into the equation - since they all have a common denominator I figured the answer would appear.

[tex] \sum \frac{(x^{2}(-1)^{n}(4n^{2}+2n)x^{2n-1})+(x(-1)^{n}(2n+1)x^{2n})+((x^{2}-1)(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1})}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

Now gathering and setting aside terms of (-1)^n and x^(2n+1)

[tex] \sum \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n+1}(4n^{2}+4n+x^{2})}{n!(n+1)!2^{2n+1}} [/tex]

Is this the correct way to approach this problem? Am I supposed to prove that this converges to 0 for all x (and how would I do that?)? Am I way off-base?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to show it converges to zero. You have to show it's EXACTLY zero, i.e. the coefficient of all powers of x are zero. Try this for a warmup. The beginning of your series is x/2-x^3/16+x^5/384-x^7/18432+... Put that into the ODE and show all terms up to x^5 cancel exactly. While you are doing that you'll want to notice that the terms you've denoted as x^(2n+1), x^(2n) and x^(2n-1) can cancel among themselves. For example for n=1, they are x^3, x^2 and x^1. For n=2, they are x^5, x^4 and x^3. The x^3 can cancel between the two different n. You'll need to reindex your sums so the power of x in each is equal.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?