Attending Workshop: Is it Useful for a PhD Student?

• Thread starter sara-my
  • Start date
In summary, the person is worried that attending a workshop will make them feel inferior because all the participants are postdocs or professors. They feel that it is not the right place for them because they work on quantum transport and the people there are all the profs and the postdocs who come to present their findings and share their ideas.
sara-my
Hi everyone,

I will start my PhD this autumn and I am quite familiar with the subject I am going to work on for my thesis. Therefore I searched for the workshops and schools to see where I can find the key people of the subject so that I can learn more.

I enrolled for a workshop and they accepted my attendance. But now I see that all of those who participate are post docs or professors. I really feel very inferior. Would it be useful for me to attend such a workshop?

Thanks for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
We can't tell; the question is too general.

You could find the procedings from the previous years workshop. If you understand what you read, you'll be fine.

sara-my said:
Hi everyone,

I will start my PhD this autumn and I am quite familiar with the subject I am going to work on for my thesis. Therefore I searched for the workshops and schools to see where I can find the key people of the subject so that I can learn more.

I enrolled for a workshop and they accepted my attendance. But now I see that all of those who participate are post docs or professors. I really feel very inferior. Would it be useful for me to attend such a workshop?

Thanks for your comments.

A "workshop", if it's anything to what is commonly done in physics, is NOT the place you want to go for this. A workshop is a working meeting where (i) new initiatives/efforts/projects are being discussed to explore the next step, either in seeking funding, or mapping new direction of research. I'm surprised they accepted your application to attend it, because usually it is meant for people who are already working in the area, and people who know a lot about the subject matter to be able to know how to proceed in doing what I've described. It is not identical to, say, a conference, where people present work they have done.

But as Vanadium has said, you provided very little information. I don't even know where you are, and where you will be going to school, or in what area of study. You need to put yourself in our shoes, look at your post, and see if you've given enough necessary information for us to make a reasonable response. This notice applies to everyone new here seeking advice in this forum.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But as Vanadium has said, you provided very little information. I don't even know where you are, and where you will be going to school, or in what area of study. You need to put yourself in our shoes, look at your post, and see if you've given enough necessary information for us to make a reasonable response. This notice applies to everyone new here seeking advice in this forum.

Zz.

Sorry I didn't know that the area of my work will matter that much. I mainly work on quantum transport and the people there are all the profs and the post docs who come to present their findings and share their ideas. I do understand the proceeding of the workshop, but as Zapper said I am afraid I am not the right person to be there although, I look very much forward to have connection with some particular profs there.

I can say that attending workshops can be extremely useful for PhD students. While you may feel inferior due to the presence of post docs and professors, it is important to remember that workshops provide a valuable opportunity to learn from experts in your field and expand your knowledge and skills. Additionally, it can be beneficial to network and make connections with these individuals who may be able to offer guidance and support throughout your PhD journey. Don't let your feelings of inferiority hold you back from taking advantage of this opportunity for growth and learning. Embrace the chance to learn from those who have more experience and use it to enhance your own research and academic abilities.

1. How can attending workshops benefit a PhD student?

Attending workshops can provide PhD students with valuable knowledge and skills related to their field of study. It can also help them stay updated on the latest research and techniques, network with other scientists, and improve their presentation and communication skills.

2. What types of workshops are available for PhD students?

There are various types of workshops available for PhD students, including academic writing, research methodology, data analysis, presentation skills, time management, and career development. It is important for students to choose workshops that align with their research interests and goals.

3. How can I find workshops that are relevant to my research?

You can search for workshops through your university or department, professional organizations, and online platforms. It is also beneficial to attend conferences and network with other researchers to learn about upcoming workshops.

4. Is it worth the time and cost to attend a workshop?

Attending a workshop can be a valuable investment for a PhD student. It can provide them with new skills and knowledge, enhance their research, and expand their professional network. However, it is important to carefully consider the time and cost of attending a workshop and ensure it aligns with your research and career goals.

5. Can attending workshops improve my chances of getting a job after graduation?

Yes, attending workshops can improve your chances of getting a job after graduation. It shows potential employers that you are committed to continuous learning and development, have a diverse skill set, and are willing to invest in your career. It can also provide you with valuable connections and references for job opportunities.