Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Workshop- Measuring tooth thickness and pitch of a spur gear

1. Sep 8, 2005 #1
    Hi all!
    I would like to know how, in workshop practice, one would measure the tooth thickness and pitch of a spur gear?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

If you can reference a copy of ANSI B92.1 you will get a ton of information on spline/gear measurement techniques.

Are you referring for inspection purposes or just general measurement? If accuracy is not a major issue, an optical comparitor is the easiest way that many places will go. If accuracy is required for the acceptance of a part, then measurement over pins is used in most cases. A drawing for the gear will give data on the gear tooth geometry that will be used in inspection. I attached a portion from a drawing as a reference.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  4. Sep 8, 2005 #3

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As Fred points out, there are inspection methods for gear teeth but there are also simple identification methods. I've seen gear gauges used before, they are simply a small piece of metal with gear teeth cut into them. They generally come in sets. You take out each coupon and try to match it to a gear. The one that matches gives you the pressure angle and gear tooth size. Its not meant for inspection, but they're good for identifying a specific gear. If you want to purchase one, they cost about $40 to $120 from McMaster Carr. Type in "gear gauge" and search their catalog.

5. Sep 8, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Ahhhh...darn it. I knew I forgot the easiest method. They are identical to the thread gauges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?