Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World 'appeasing' climate threat

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"World 'appeasing' climate threat"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3766831.stm

I don't know much about this person and he sounds like a bit of a crackpot to me, but since I don't know I didn't want to judge. For this reason I am posting for your approval or not. Go get him Andre! :biggrin:

Here is a little about Lovelock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Lovelock

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is the part that really scared me since I also work out of a barn-turned-laboratory. :surprise:

4. Jun 4, 2004 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

Unfortunately,I live on an old chickenfarm. I would kill for a barn-turned laboratory. My hunchback, however, doesn't mind the coop's low ceiling.

Njorl

5. Jun 4, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would kill for an old chickenfarm! That's amazing. :eek:

6. Jun 5, 2004 #5
    Well, for starters, James Lovelock is the inventor of Gaia and

Daisyworld, however these very elegant ideas encouters some philosophical objections. It assumes for instance a desired endstate, whilst Nature has no goal. Gaia is a regulated ideal living world in which lifeforms that support this, will be thriving whilst lifeforms that oppose it, will perish. Hence Gaia could have been a "appeasing" bridge between science and religion but neither party seems to be interested in that.

With this background, the article makes perfect sense. Mankind is against Gaia and will be punished by global warming.

Anyway, the problem is that we have not even a beginning clue to what's happening to climate. It may be noticed for instance the warming trend of the preriod 1996-2003 seem to have been reversed. So the "CO2 is global warming" is very premature and it's far more easy to disprove it than to have it confirmed. Yet the over simplification - occam razor level is very appealing. Everybody can understand. So if you tell Lovelock that CO2 = global warming and he thinks you are right, well this is the obvious result.

But remember: a strong slogan (CO2=global warming) will kill 50 years worth of rational thinking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?