What are some stunning examples of world art and architecture?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a thread dedicated to sharing information about various cultures, specifically art and architecture. The participants discuss the definition of culture and the importance of learning about it. The main focus is on the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, designed by Frank Gehry, and its impact on the city's revitalization. The conversation also touches on the Milwaukee Art Museum and its new addition, the Quadracci Pavilion, designed by Santiago Calatrava. Images of both museums are shared and discussed.
Cyrus
In this thread I hope to share various things I find on the internet about various cultures around the world. I would like to find things about art and architecture mostly, but at this point its too early to tell. :smile: I was going to do this in the other thread I started on Santiago Calatrava, but the title was his name, which would not be right, and the content was all over the map. Most of what I put will be ripped off from sources, I hope that's ok, :tongue: .

Physics news on Phys.org
cyrusabdollahi said:
In this thread I hope to share various things I find on the internet about various cultures around the world. I would like to find things about art and architecture mostly, but at this point its too early to tell. :smile: I was going to do this in the other thread I started on Santiago Calatrava, but the title was his name, which would not be right, and the content was all over the map. Most of what I put will be ripped off from sources, I hope that's ok, :tongue: .

Why not learn the real culture?

The architecture and the art isn't "real" culture. If that's what you want, then go for it.

Culture to me is more like the lifestyle, attitude, and so on.

That's what I usually talk about when people ask about Quebec and what not.

My first entry is on the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao Spain. I thought this would be appropriate, as it is on the cover and throughout the chapters in James Stewarts, "Calculus, concepts and context."

wikipedia said:
The structure, designed by Frank Gehry's architectural firm and opened to the public in 1997, immediately vaulted to prominence as one of the world's most spectacular buildings in the style of Deconstructivism. The museum's design and construction serve as an object lesson in Frank Gehry's style and method. Like much of Gehry's other work, the structure consists of radically sculpted, organic contours; the Guggenheim Bilbao claims that it does not have a single flat surface in the entire structure. Part of the building is crossed by a highway bridge, and a large portion of the structure is sheathed in paper-thin titanium panels.

The building, sited as it is in a port town, is intended to resemble a ship. Its brilliantly reflective panels resemble fish scales, echoing the other organic (and, in particular, fish-like) forms that recur commonly in Gehry's designs, as well as the river Nervión upon which the museum sits. They also cause the building to appear to change shape throughout the day when viewed from the street.

Also in typical Gehry fashion, the building is uniquely a product of the period's technology. Computer aided design and visualizations were used heavily in the structure's design. Computer simulations of the building's structure made it feasible to build shapes that architects of earlier eras would have found nearly impossible to construct. During its construction, stone panels were cut by lasers.

Also important is while the museum is a spectacular monument from the river, on street level it is quite modest and does not overwhelm its traditional surroundings.

The museum was opened as part of a revitalization effort for the city of Bilbao and for the Basque Country. Almost immediately after its opening, the Guggenheim Bilbao became a popular tourist attraction, drawing visitors from around the globe. It was widely credited with "putting Bilbao on the map".

The exhibitions in the museum itself change often, but most exposed work concerns 20th century art; traditional paintings and sculptures are often in a minority compared to installations and electronic forms. Some art enthusiasts feel that the building itself far too often overshadows the museum's collection.

Naturally, I will start with the famous picture we have all seen in Stewart:

http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/m/images/museu_gug.bilb.1.lg.jpg

http://www.mykreeve.net/bilbao/riverside_and_guggenheim_museum/guggenheim_bilbao_curves.jpg

http://lunapark.quuxuum.org/albums/Basque/guggenheim_04.sized.jpg

I find the spider to be very disturbing and out of place :smile:.

http://www.netropolitan.org/gehry/bilbao_town.gif

^I find this picture to be very important because it shows that the lines serve many functions. From this perspective, the lines follow the flow of the mountain as seen down the street in constrast to the linearity of the old style buildings. Its a nice departure from the norm.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/be/Guggenheim_detail.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/de/Guggenheim-bilbao-jan05.jpg/800px-Guggenheim-bilbao-jan05.jpg

http://canales.elcorreodigital.com/guggenheim/albumfotos/interior4.jpg

It’s interesting to note how the titanium panels change color from a golden tone to a muted steel depending on the sunlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carrying on the theme of museums, for the time being: I will place the images in here from the last thread on Santiage Calatrava:

wikipedia said:
The Milwaukee Art Museum (MAM) is located on Lake Michigan in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

The museum's history began in 1888 when the Milwaukee Art Association was created by a group of German panorama artists and local businessmen; its first home was the Layton Art Gallery. In the early 1900s the Milwaukee Art Institute was founded. The Milwaukee Art Center (now the MAM) was formed when these two groups joined in 1957.

The MAM's permanent holdings contain an important collection of Old Masters and 19th-century and 20th-century artwork, as well as some of the nation's best collections of German Expressionism, folk and Haitian art, American decorative arts, and post-1960 American art. The museum holds a large number of works by Georgia O'Keeffe.

The MAM recently gained international recognition with the construction of the new white concrete Quadracci Pavilion, designed by Santiago Calatrava (his first American commission), which opened on May 4, 2001. The structure contains a moveable, wing-like brise soleil (pictured below) which opens up for a wingspan of 217 feet during the day, folding over the tall, arched structure at night or during inclement weather. The building has since become a symbol for the city of Milwaukee. The galleries themselves are contained in the MAM's older building, a 1957 Eero Saarinen commission (along with the Milwaukee County War Memorial) added to by Kahler, Fitzhugh and Scott of Milwaukee in 1975.

http://www.digischool.nl/ckv1/architectuur/calatrava/milwaukee2.jpg

lakesideangle2.jpg

sidedet3.jpg

sidewparking.jpg

cafeext2.jpg

800px-Santiago_Calatravas_Quadracci_Pavilion%28rear%29.JPG

Interior:

inttwdentrance2.jpg

inttwdentr.jpg

\/ This is one of my favorite images I found online, it reminds me of a magazine shoot from the 70's. It gives me the sensation of being inside a sanctuary, while outside it is a crisp cool day. The air is thick, if fills your lungs when you take a deep breath. You can taste the quality of the air. The kind of feeling you can only get on a cool fall day.

lobbywhole.jpg

lobbywhole2.jpg

lobby3.jpg

wchihuly.jpg

^The perfect contrast of the sterile and muted whites and grays with the vivid colors of life in the sculpture. It is a wonderful contrast.

intsidewing.jpg

windows.jpg

long.jpg

It's interesting to note that both this museum and the one in Spain are located near the water have have the feeling of a sail boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the architecture of the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao (designed by a Canadian) have to do with Spain's culture?

Monique said:
What does the architecture of the Guggenheim museum in Bilbao (designed by a Canadian) have to do with Spain's culture?
Nada! :biggrin:

The Guggenheim museum in Bilbao has to do with the Guggenheim Musesum and Gehry. The only thing relevant to Spain is the fact that that particular museum is in Spain, and possibly contains some Spanish art.

Culture is reflected in art and architecture as long as it is home grown, i.e. indigenous. I don't even know what 'culture' Gehry represents.

All I know is that I have a adverse reaction to his buildings. But that's me. :rolleyes:

As for the MAM, being an engineer, the waste of material comes to my mind.

Last edited:
Gehry also designed the recently completed Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, another strangely shaped building:

82301.jpg

I think it looks very nice. Can one of the mentors edit the name of this thread so that it says "World Art and Architecture." I gave it a poor title by calling it culture. Thanks.

Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, Walker Art Center:

Saul Baizerman
Nike, bronze, 1949-1952

075.jpg

Deborah Butterfield
Woodrow, bronze, 1988
025.jpg

Alexander Calder
Octopus, steel, painted, 1964

054.jpg

Alexander Calder
The Spinner, aluminum, steel, paint, 1966
052.jpg

051.jpg

Tony Cragg
Ordovician Pore, granite, steel, 1989

070.jpg

Mark di Suvero
Arikidea, Cor-Ten steel, steel, wood, 1977-1982

072.jpg

Mark di Suvero
Molecule, steel, paint, 1977-1983

039.jpg

Barry Flanagan
Hare on Bell on Portland Stone Piers, bronze, limestone, 1983
068.jpg

Wim Delvoye
Caterpillar #5, laser-cut steel, stainless steel, 2002
061.jpg

Frank Gehry
Standing Glass Fish, 1986
wood, glass, steel, silicone, Plexiglas, rubber
264 x 168 x 102 in

006.jpg

Charles Ginnever
Nautilus, Cor-Ten steel, 1976
035.jpg

Georg Kolbe
Junge Frau (Young Woman), bronze, 1926
093.jpg

Jacques Lipchitz
Prometheus Strangling the Vulture II, bronze, 1944/1953
084.jpg

Henry Moore
Reclining Mother and Child, bronze, 1960-1961

074.jpg

Standing Figure: Knife Edge, bronze, 1961

031.jpg

David Nash
Standing Frame, charred white oak, 1987
033.jpg

Claes Oldenburg & Coosje van Bruggen
Spoonbridge and Cherry, aluminum, stainless steel, paint, 1985-1988
The spoon weighs 5,800 pounds and the cherry 1,200 pounds. :eek:

034.jpg

Judith Shea
Without Words, bronze, marble, limestone, 1988
050.jpg

Tony Smith
Amaryllis, Cor-Ten steel, paint, 1965/1968
Kelly's Double Curve is in the background. ( I like these two)
028.jpg

027.jpg

All of the wonderful photographs on these six pages were taken by my brother, Douglas Miller, who generously photographed them for my website. He owns the copyright.

I don't think there is any problem here, I am not using them for profit and I have sourced the pictures.

What is World Art and Architecture?

World Art and Architecture is a field of study that explores the development of art and architecture across different cultures and civilizations around the world. It includes the study of various art forms such as painting, sculpture, architecture, and other visual expressions.

What are some famous examples of World Art and Architecture?

Some famous examples of World Art and Architecture include the Great Pyramids of Giza in Egypt, the Taj Mahal in India, the Parthenon in Greece, and the Sistine Chapel in Italy. These structures are not only impressive in terms of their architectural design, but also represent important cultural and historical significance.

What is the significance of studying World Art and Architecture?

Studying World Art and Architecture allows us to gain a deeper understanding and appreciation of different cultures and their artistic expressions. It also helps us to understand the evolution of art and architecture and how it has been influenced by social, political, and religious factors throughout history.

How does World Art and Architecture impact society?

World Art and Architecture has a significant impact on society as it reflects the values, beliefs, and traditions of a particular culture. It also serves as a means of communication and can bring people from different backgrounds together through shared experiences and appreciation for art.

What are some current trends in World Art and Architecture?

Some current trends in World Art and Architecture include the incorporation of sustainable and eco-friendly design principles, the use of technology and new materials in architectural design, and the blending of traditional and contemporary styles in art and architecture. There is also a growing emphasis on cultural diversity and inclusivity in the representation of art and architecture from around the world.