Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World cup 2006 - Warm up

1. Dec 12, 2005 #1

EL

Science Advisor

So here are the groups:
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html

From the toughest to the weakest according to my opinion:
    C F E B G H A D

Nice to meet England again! Read Sven's comments here:
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/051209/1/5o82.html

I would say the favorits are Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Germany, but look out for Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, England, Croatia and Sweden.

Oh, we have a great summer in front of us!:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2005 #2

Lisa!

Gold Member

How did I miss this thread? :surprised

I think A is the easiest 1.(Why do I always type ! instead of 1? )

4. Dec 12, 2005 #3

EL

Science Advisor

Since Germany's the host I decided to choose A infront of D. But they are definitely the two weakest groups.

5. Dec 12, 2005 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

But I think G is weaker than D! Anyway, let see what will happen. Nobody couldn't believe what happened in 2002. And I guess 2006 cup will be even more surprising!

6. Dec 12, 2005 #5
    USA got lucky, they are in a winnable division. Division C is definately very tough, both argentina and holland could win it all.

7. Dec 12, 2005 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What??? with Italy and Czech Republic??? Pray for the rules are not the two first teams go to the next round, because if so USA is kicked out.

There is a theorem you must know, it is empirically demonstrated over all these years:
    "Spain always goes home in quarter of finals".

8. Dec 12, 2005 #7
    Aren't they always ?

I think we can forget about Italy and Argentina though. The final is gonna be the same as 4 years back, only Germany will win...or maybe one of the much anticipated African teams ??? No, no, it's gonna be Germany.

marlon

Last edited: Dec 12, 2005
  9. Dec 12, 2005 #8
    I think you are being a bit too optimistic here. I mean, Italy and Czech Republic ???

I don't think the USA will overcome these teams...errr...normally they won't...:uhh:

regards
    marlon

10. Dec 12, 2005 #9
    Italy has been choaking lately and what has the Czech Republic done the last few years? They are very tough team no doubt with great players, but the US is alot better than the last world cup and I think they fare better in this group than a few other divisions. Remember last world cup the US beat the golden team of portugal.

11. Dec 12, 2005 #10
    I am sorry but that does not say anything if you look "into" history. I would say : au contraire...You should be worried. Well, worried:uhh:

Let's put it like that : I SAY:rolleyes: you should be worried.

Excuse me ?

YES and they can get very far into the tournament. But c'mon, ITALY ???

True, only i would not use the epitheton GOLDEN.

On a more serious note though, i do think the US is capable of doing something big this worldcup but let's remain realistic many teams are FAR better in several aspects of the game. I am thinking of Brazil, Italy, Germany, Holland (this is gonna be the outsider, trust me), Argentina,..

It is gonna be very difficult, but than again that is indeed the case for all teams. It sure as hell promises to be a great competition.

Hihhhaa, let the games begin. I am just glad i won't be doing examinations in that period.

regards
    marlon

12. Dec 12, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

Better to say they're sent home. Remember in 2002, it was the referee who didn't let Spain to win against Korea!:grumpy:

13. Dec 12, 2005 #12

___

hello madam christmas gift, this time there will be no christmas gift to korea.:grumpy:

14. Dec 12, 2005 #13

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think the Netherlands and England have a very good chance this world cup.

With Gerrard and Lampard, I think England have the best midfield players in the world right now.

The Netherlands have a strong team as well. I saw Robben play for Chelsea and I think he is very good. Van Nistelrooy is an excellent striker.

And Greg, the way the Czech Republic played in Euro 2004, they would give Brazil a run for their money.

15. Dec 12, 2005 #14

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Group E is the toughest of the tournament and reflects the respect the world has for the US soccer team. Czechoslavakia is ranked number 2 in the world (for all that's worth), but this is their first World Cup ever. The US has appeared in the last four World Cups, making it out of the first round in two of the last three. In spite of that, the US went into the hat as a third tier team.

(the draw isn't entirely random - they make four tiers to make sure you don't have a group consisting of Australia, Trinidad and Tobago, Saudi Arabia, and, of course, those perennial losers from England - okay, maybe the last doesn't belong quite that low, but Canada didn't qualify so I'm desparate for a team to make fun of :rofl: )

The only lucky thing for the US is the hope that Czechoslavakia will choke in their first ever World Cup and the fact that Italy might not be as strong as they usually are - at least their transition and have less World Cup experience than they usually do.

I'm picking Brazil to beat Argentina, England, or the Netherlands in the final.

16. Dec 12, 2005 #15
    The Czechs are a good team, and it wouldn't entirely suprise me if they took the group. The US is looking tough though. Who knows. Italy has seen better days in my eyes. In 2002, they lost on a golden goal to a Korean team that came out of no where. When have you seen the italian defence get tired? I definately felt they did in that game. I still don't feel that we (the US) have a strong enough program to play with the likes of Germany, Brazil, etc. One thing about the World Cup though, you never know in the early rounds. The US does have a much better team this time round. Much more first tier international experience as compared to previous WCs.

17. Dec 12, 2005 #16
    Italy and especially German dont have a chance! I would rate any of the look outs before German.. Italy are ok.. but not as strong as Netherlands England or even Croatia..

18. Dec 12, 2005 #17
    you are joking right? You are better than you ever have been, but if the world cup was the best teams in the world banging it out, I am afraid to say you wouldnt be there..
    ?? It is two countries now. Slovakia and Czech repulblic, The CZECH's were the best team in euro 2004 IMHO, and they have played in many world cups as Czechoslavakia, but not as Czech republic. They have even won the Euro cup (which is far tougher than the World cup)
    Yeh maybe you have a point here :approve:

19. Dec 12, 2005 #18
    If you get past the first round I will run around this forum Naked :D ... But seriously I wish you good luck, I cant wait till it all kicks off..

20. Dec 12, 2005 #19

-Job-

Science Advisor

Qualification is alot more difficult in Europe than in other regions, there are plenty of good teams who didn't qualify who might have deserved to be there. The world cup being in Europe i expect England, Spain, France, Germany and the Netherlands to do nicely since they are effectively playing at home. Needless to say it's going to be a fantastic atmosphere. I just hope Portugal beats Mexico to shut those guys up who think they're the best. :tongue2:

21. Dec 12, 2005 #20
    Soccer :confused: Sorry, never heard of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?