Which teams will face off in the World Cup 2006 group stage?

• Thread starter EL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary, the groups are as follows: C F E B G H A D. England is the favorite to win the group, but the other teams are no pushovers.
EL
Science Advisor
So here are the groups:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html

From the toughest to the weakest according to my opinion:
C F E B G H A D

Nice to meet England again! Read Sven's comments here:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/051209/1/5o82.html

I would say the favorits are Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Germany, but look out for Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, England, Croatia and Sweden.

Oh, we have a great summer in front of us!:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
How did I miss this thread?

I think A is the easiest 1.(Why do I always type ! instead of 1? )

Lisa! said:
I think A is the easiest 1.
Since Germany's the host I decided to choose A infront of D. But they are definitely the two weakest groups.

But I think G is weaker than D! Anyway, let see what will happen. Nobody couldn't believe what happened in 2002. And I guess 2006 cup will be even more surprising!

USA got lucky, they are in a winnable division. Division C is definitely very tough, both argentina and holland could win it all.

Greg Bernhardt said:
USA got lucky, they are in a winnable division. Division C is definitely very tough, both argentina and holland could win it all.

What? with Italy and Czech Republic? Pray for the rules are not the two first teams go to the next round, because if so USA is kicked out.

There is a theorem you must know, it is empirically demonstrated over all these years:
"Spain always goes home in quarter of finals".

EL said:
I would say the favorits are Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Germany,

Aren't they always ?

I think we can forget about Italy and Argentina though. The final is going to be the same as 4 years back, only Germany will win...or maybe one of the much anticipated African teams ? No, no, it's going to be Germany.

marlon

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
USA got lucky, they are in a winnable division.

I think you are being a bit too optimistic here. I mean, Italy and Czech Republic ?

I don't think the USA will overcome these teams...errr...normally they won't...:uhh:

regards
marlon

marlon said:
I think you are being a bit too optimistic here. I mean, Italy and Czech Republic ?
I don't think the USA will overcome these teams...errr...normally they won't...:uhh:
regards
marlon

Italy has been choaking lately and what has the Czech Republic done the last few years? They are very tough team no doubt with great players, but the US is a lot better than the last world cup and I think they fare better in this group than a few other divisions. Remember last world cup the US beat the golden team of portugal.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Italy has been choaking lately

I am sorry but that does not say anything if you look "into" history. I would say : au contraire...You should be worried. Well, worried:uhh:

Let's put it like that : I SAY:rolleyes: you should be worried.

and what has the Czech Republic done the last few years?
Excuse me ?

but the US is a lot better than the last world cup
YES and they can get very far into the tournament. But c'mon, ITALY ?

Remember last world cup the US beat the golden team of portugal.

True, only i would not use the epitheton GOLDEN.

On a more serious note though, i do think the US is capable of doing something big this worldcup but let's remain realistic many teams are FAR better in several aspects of the game. I am thinking of Brazil, Italy, Germany, Holland (this is going to be the outsider, trust me), Argentina,..

It is going to be very difficult, but than again that is indeed the case for all teams. It sure as hell promises to be a great competition.

Hihhhaa, let the games begin. I am just glad i won't be doing examinations in that period.

regards
marlon

Clausius2 said:
What? with Italy and Czech Republic? Pray for the rules are not the two first teams go to the next round, because if so USA is kicked out.
There is a theorem you must know, it is empirically demonstrated over all these years:
"Spain always goes home in quarter of finals".

Better to say they're sent home. Remember in 2002, it was the referee who didn't let Spain to win against Korea!:grumpy:

Lisa! said:
Better to say they're sent home. Remember in 2002, it was the referee who didn't let Spain to win against Korea!:grumpy:
hello madam christmas gift, this time there will be no christmas gift to korea.:grumpy:

I think the Netherlands and England have a very good chance this world cup.

With Gerrard and Lampard, I think England have the best midfield players in the world right now.

The Netherlands have a strong team as well. I saw Robben play for Chelsea and I think he is very good. Van Nistelrooy is an excellent striker.

And Greg, the way the Czech Republic played in Euro 2004, they would give Brazil a run for their money.

Group E is the toughest of the tournament and reflects the respect the world has for the US soccer team. Czechoslavakia is ranked number 2 in the world (for all that's worth), but this is their first World Cup ever. The US has appeared in the last four World Cups, making it out of the first round in two of the last three. In spite of that, the US went into the hat as a third tier team.

(the draw isn't entirely random - they make four tiers to make sure you don't have a group consisting of Australia, Trinidad and Tobago, Saudi Arabia, and, of course, those perennial losers from England - okay, maybe the last doesn't belong quite that low, but Canada didn't qualify so I'm desparate for a team to make fun of :rofl: )

The only lucky thing for the US is the hope that Czechoslavakia will choke in their first ever World Cup and the fact that Italy might not be as strong as they usually are - at least their transition and have less World Cup experience than they usually do.

I'm picking Brazil to beat Argentina, England, or the Netherlands in the final.

BobG said:
Group E is the toughest of the tournament and reflects the respect the world has for the US soccer team. Czechoslavakia is ranked number 2 in the world (for all that's worth), but this is their first World Cup ever. The US has appeared in the last four World Cups, making it out of the first round in two of the last three. In spite of that, the US went into the hat as a third tier team.
(the draw isn't entirely random - they make four tiers to make sure you don't have a group consisting of Australia, Trinidad and Tobago, Saudi Arabia, and, of course, those perennial losers from England - okay, maybe the last doesn't belong quite that low, but Canada didn't qualify so I'm desparate for a team to make fun of :rofl: )
The only lucky thing for the US is the hope that Czechoslavakia will choke in their first ever World Cup and the fact that Italy might not be as strong as they usually are - at least their transition and have less World Cup experience than they usually do.

The Czechs are a good team, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they took the group. The US is looking tough though. Who knows. Italy has seen better days in my eyes. In 2002, they lost on a golden goal to a Korean team that came out of no where. When have you seen the italian defence get tired? I definitely felt they did in that game. I still don't feel that we (the US) have a strong enough program to play with the likes of Germany, Brazil, etc. One thing about the World Cup though, you never know in the early rounds. The US does have a much better team this time round. Much more first tier international experience as compared to previous WCs.

EL said:
So here are the groups:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/group/index.html
From the toughest to the weakest according to my opinion:
C F E B G H A D
Nice to meet England again! Read Sven's comments here:
http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/051209/1/5o82.html
I would say the favorits are Brazil, Argentina, Italy and Germany, but look out for Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, England, Croatia and Sweden.
Oh, we have a great summer in front of us!:biggrin:

Italy and especially German don't have a chance! I would rate any of the look outs before German.. Italy are ok.. but not as strong as Netherlands England or even Croatia..

Group E is the toughest of the tournament and reflects the respect the world has for the US soccer team.
you are joking right? You are better than you ever have been, but if the world cup was the best teams in the world banging it out, I am afraid to say you wouldn't be there..
Czechoslavakia
?? It is two countries now. Slovakia and Czech repulblic, The CZECH's were the best team in euro 2004 IMHO, and they have played in many world cups as Czechoslavakia, but not as Czech republic. They have even won the Euro cup (which is far tougher than the World cup)
Yeh maybe you have a point here :approve:

The Czechs are a good team, and it wouldn't entirely surprise me if they took the group. The US is looking tough though. Who knows. Italy has seen better days in my eyes

If you get past the first round I will run around this forum Naked :D ... But seriously I wish you good luck, I can't wait till it all kicks off..

Qualification is a lot more difficult in Europe than in other regions, there are plenty of good teams who didn't qualify who might have deserved to be there. The world cup being in Europe i expect England, Spain, France, Germany and the Netherlands to do nicely since they are effectively playing at home. Needless to say it's going to be a fantastic atmosphere. I just hope Portugal beats Mexico to shut those guys up who think they're the best. :tongue2:

Soccer :confused: Sorry, never heard of it.

Its called Football! You have a Ball.. and you kick it with your feet, therefore it was named football... :bugeye: :bugeye:

Assuming that comment is not geared towards the now-old lexical controversy of "soccer" vs "footbal, then i'd have to say you're missing out, but I'm not here to recruit anybody. Different people like different sports and i particularly like the world cup because it generates an awesome atmosphere (i actually like the Euro even better, it's my favorite sports event)

Anttech said:
If you get past the first round I will run around this forum Naked :D ... But seriously I wish you good luck, I can't wait till it all kicks off..

I will be insane with joy if they make out of the first round- I don't expect them to. But I think we have a chance since I don't feel Italy is the team they were 10 years ago or so. But then again I know nothing about Ghana's team, even though they are considered a 4th teir team, one never knows. They could win a game and through the whole group off. Who knows.

Anttech said:
Italy and especially German don't have a chance! I would rate any of the look outs before German.. Italy are ok.. but not as strong as Netherlands England or even Croatia..

I think Italy has a very good chance this year since they are building a really good teamplay. Germany is a favorit because of two things: History shows that the host country usually goes further in the tournament then what is expected, and because Germany is Germany, somehow they always manage to win even when they are not the best team.
It's like Spain, but the other way around...:wink:

England is, as always, overestimated. But they should have some chance also. Croatia could definitely surpise. As could Sweden (and I'm not saying this just because I'm from there).

Last edited:
England deserve to be one of the favourites more so than any world cup since 1970. The England team has top world class players from goalkeeper all the way through to the forwards. John Terry and Rio Ferdinand are two of the best central defenders in the world, david beckham, frank lampard and steven gerrard are three of the best midfield players and with michael owen and wayne rooney up front we always look likey to score. I still think Brazil will win the tournemant, just because they always do. But I can't really see any other team winning it, not without abit of luck anyway.

I think Italy has a very good chance this year since they are building a really good teamplay.
:confused:

Italy has a solid defence, and some good players granted but they arent world beaters. I wouldn't say they are "team builders", they are not Greece, and have historically the same problems of the Netherlands, amazing footballers but individuals.
England have a far better team, and if u asked many pundits they will also tell you this, as Andy just outlined, they definately have a chance, especailly if Rooney can keep his cool.
Germany have an awful team, I have just come back from Frankfurt on buisness, and I was out and about during the draw, no german I asked thought they had a chance in hell.. But as you say It is Germany :rolleyes:
As Linker once said: Football is a game of two teams, and in the end the germans always win... :rofl:

Anttech said:
Italy has a solid defence, and some good players granted but they arent world beaters. I wouldn't say they are "team builders", they are not Greece, and have historically the same problems of the Netherlands, amazing footballers but individuals.
I totally agree Italy has never been known as "team builders", but this time it's different! And that's why I'll give them big chanses despite they really don't have that many dominating stars as usual.

As Linker once said: Football is a game of two teams, and in the end the germans always win... :rofl:
:biggrin: Wasn't it Lineker who also said something about that the best way to watch Wimbledon play, is on teletext.:tongue:

Andy said:
England deserve to be one of the favourites more so than any world cup since 1970. The England team has top world class players from goalkeeper all the way through to the forwards. John Terry and Rio Ferdinand are two of the best central defenders in the world, david beckham, frank lampard and steven gerrard are three of the best midfield players and with michael owen and wayne rooney up front we always look likey to score. I still think Brazil will win the tournemant, just because they always do. But I can't really see any other team winning it, not without abit of luck anyway.

At least on paper England surely has a better team than recent world cups. However, one should be careful about raising them to high, and I would not say they are one of the top favorits. They'll certainly make it to the 1/8-final, but will then have to face Germany, which may be too hard.
However, if they win this match, they have all chanses to reach the final.

I would not say England has a world class goalkeeper, in fact I think this position is one of the weak points. Terry and Ferdinand are exelent in the air, but will have major problems facing players like Ibrahimovic and Ronaldinho. The wing defenders are certainly not world top class.
The midfield though, is the strong part of the team, and definitely world class. So is at least one of the forwards, Rooney, but I'm not really sure Owen will be that succesfull.
But the major problem for England is, no offence, the players mental strength. Here Sven has a lot of work to do. And the question is if he will manage?

Germany are a weak team, they have one good player and that's michael ballack but he's not world class.

Paul Robinson is a top goalkeeper if you watch much premiership football you would see that, Ronaldinho is good enough to give any defence the run around. Ibrahimovic i don't think much of never seen him consistently perform. Owen is a quality forward, the reason why he is soo dangerous is because for 80 minutes of the match you won't notice him and then in the last 10 minutes he will score a couple of goals. (Just look at the recent england v argentina game). As for the full backs Gary neville hasnt been the Manchester Utd right back for the past 10 years by default, he has prooved himself at the top level. And ashley cole is one of the best left backs in the world. Real madrid are supposed to be quite interested in signing him to replace roberto carlos.

Italy has been choaking lately and what has the Czech Republic done the last few years?

Czech almost won the Euro 2004

Italy world cup qualifing record:
P W D L F A Pts
10 7 2 1 17 8 23

Choking??

Andy said:
Germany are a weak team, they have one good player and that's michael ballack but he's not world class.
So Robinson and Gary Neville are world class but not Ballack? Kidding right?:wink:

Paul Robinson is a top goalkeeper if you watch much premiership football you would see that
I watch rahter much premier league, and I have to say Robinson is quite succeful there. The problem is that premier league does not hold the high standard of Serie A or La Liga! I would even hold Bundesliga as better. Sure there is one top world class team, Chelsea, but the others more or less sux compared to middle teams in the other leagues (and I'm saying this as a ManU fan). Ok, Liverpool won CL last season, but I think we all can agree they had some luck on their way.
This is why I think you English's always overestimate your team, it's because you always overestimate your league.

Ronaldinho is good enough to give any defence the run around.
I ment players with his style in general: technical, speedy and creative.

Ibrahimovic i don't think much of never seen him consistently perform.
You'll be suprised when he defeats you this summer!:tongue2:

Owen is a quality forward, the reason why he is soo dangerous is because for 80 minutes of the match you won't notice him and then in the last 10 minutes he will score a couple of goals. (Just look at the recent england v argentina game).
I didn't say he's bad, just not top world class.

Lisa! said:

That is absolute BS lisa. The game was stopped by the referee and even after that, the goal was scored by italy. So it doesn't count.

I watch rahter much premier league, and I have to say Robinson is quite succeful there. The problem is that premier league does not hold the high standard of Serie A or La Liga! I would even hold Bundesliga as better. Sure there is one top world class team, Chelsea, but the others more or less sux compared to middle teams in the other leagues (and I'm saying this as a ManU fan). Ok, Liverpool won CL last season, but I think we all can agree they had some luck on their way.
This is why I think you English's always overestimate your team, it's because you always overestimate your league.

LOL your opion is the opposite of MOST football pundits... I am not even English but I understand that the Premiership IS the BEST in the world, right now! funny how a "middle team" won the champions league last year, and it is VERY easy for you to say.. Ohh they were lucky.. But the Fact remains they won it! So by you saying the "Sux" is basically saying that European Football sux's..
I'll give credit to the English right now, its not them who are overestimating there league it is people outside the UK.. If it is so over estimated why on Earth is it the most watched in the World?
England has numerous world class players... and Numerous world class league teams..

Anttech said:
LOL your opion is the opposite of MOST football pundits... I am not even English but I understand that the Premiership IS the BEST in the world, right now! funny how a "middle team" won the champions league last year, and it is VERY easy for you to say.. Ohh they were lucky.. But the Fact remains they won it! So by you saying the "Sux" is basically saying that European Football sux's..
I'll give credit to the English right now, its not them who are overestimating there league it is people outside the UK.. If it is so over estimated why on Earth is it the most watched in the World?
England has numerous world class players... and Numerous world class league teams..

Anttech, While the Premier League is very good, I don't think it is the toughest league in the world.

The Spanish La Liga has excellent teams and highly skilled players as well so I think it will be on par with EPL.

The teams in the Italian League (Milan, Inter, Juve, Roma, Lazio, etc), are among the best in the world.

Anttech, While the Premier League is very good, I don't think it is the toughest league in the world.

I didnt say toughest. I said best, ie most viewed and with the best enjoyment factor.

Although I could argue it is also the toughest..

The Spanish La Liga has excellent teams and highly skilled players as well so I think it will be on par with EPL.
yes it is also a good league.. But again the EPL is the most viewed and has the most depth in my opinion.. Anyway I think Chelsea, are better than Real now
The teams in the Italian League (Milan, Inter, Juve, Roma, Lazio, etc), are among the best in the world.

So are the teams in England (Man-u, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Everton)...

http://www.geocities.com/jfaugeras/UC.html

There is proof that the EPL is the best in Europe at least.. They are top of the UEFA coefficients for the past two years because there teams have got the most points in the UEFA and Champions League!

Last edited: