Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
One reason this game hasn't caught on so much in the US: not enough bathroom breaks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, that was disappointing (as usual for an England fan), though our performance was much better than it has been in the recent friendlies and the only goal was due to an awful goalkeeping error.

As for my predictions for tomorrow:

Algeria - Slovenia (2-2)
Serbia - Ghana (2-0)
Germany - Australia (2-0)

June 12 Update

Results:
S Korea - Greece (2-0)
Argentina - Nigeria (1-0)
USA - England (1-1)Scoring Table
Code:
Member      June 12 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------
Gokul             4                   4
D H               2                   2
cristo            1                   1
estro             1                   1
Dadface           1                   1
Monique           1                   1
Bob               1                   1
cronxeh           0                   0
Zomgwtf           -                   -

Please make sure I got all your scores right.

EDIT: Less than an hour to get in your predictions for the next set of matches.

Last edited:
cristo said:
Well, that was disappointing (as usual for an England fan), though our performance was much better than it has been in the recent friendlies and the only goal was due to an awful goalkeeping error.
England was clearly the better team, and really ought to have scored more. There was that 10-minute or so period early in the second half when Haskey, Crouch and Rooney had a series of opportunities but didn't convert any. That was England's best chance to edge ahead. No complaints from me though; I guessed a 1-1 draw (but I thought the US team would be stronger on defense than they actually were).

June 13:

Algeria - Slovenia (1-0)
Serbia - Ghana (0-1)
Germany - Australia (3-0)

Take that SUCK IT England, you plonkers! WOOOO AMURIKAA F' YEAHH!

(Look at me, I watched 10 mins of sports one of the rate times ever in my life. Now I feel like a real man posting this :approve:)

Side Note:
As I was watching, the clock was counting up. What the hell :confused:? I got confused, and they didnt say if it was half time, or if that guy made a touch down. Screw this sport. :grumpy:

Cyrus said:
Take that SUCK IT England, you plonkers! WOOOO AMURIKAA F' YEAHH!

(Look at me, I watched 10 mins of sports one of the rate times ever in my life. Now I feel like a real man posting this :approve:)

Side Note:
As I was watching, the clock was counting up. What the hell :confused:? I got confused, and they didnt say if it was half time, or if that guy made a touch down. Screw this sport. :grumpy:
Cyrus, see what happens when you get drunk and accidentally wander into the wrong thread?

There are plenty of love-struck geeks craving your expertise in the relationship forum. :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
There are plenty of love-struck geeks craving your expertise in the relationship forum. :biggrin:

:rofl:

gokul43201 said:
cyrus, see what happens when you get drunk and accidentally wander into the wrong thread?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I join in,haha.I'm not familiar with teams today,just a guess.

Algeria - Slovenia (2-2)
Serbia - Ghana (1:2)
Germany - Australia (2:0)

no seriously...why was that clock counting up? I wanted to know when it would end, and then I got the feeling it never would... :frown:

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
no seriously...why was that clock counting up? I wanted to know when it would end, and then I got the feeling it never would... :frown:

Lol it confused me when I first started watching soccer. (the last world cup) I guess that's just the way they do it, no real 'reason' to the madness. People say it's because of the injury/stop time added but that makes no sense to me, they could easily have done it the same way with the clock counting down. (once it hits 0 they have teh same injury time clock come up counting up to whatever or down to whatever extra time there is).

Hopefully they realize that with the marvelous technology we have now days you can PAUSE the time! Yes I know novel concept 'pausing time' (can he really do it?).

Cyrus said:

1. It was this way since the very beginning.

2. You are supposed to know half a game lasts 45 minutes (and can be prolonged).

Algeria Slovenia-1,1
Serbia Ghana-2,0
Germany Australia-2,0

zomgwtf said:
Lol it confused me when I first started watching soccer. (the last world cup) I guess that's just the way they do it, no real 'reason' to the madness. People say it's because of the injury/stop time added but that makes no sense to me, they could easily have done it the same way with the clock counting down. (once it hits 0 they have teh same injury time clock come up counting up to whatever or down to whatever extra time there is).

Hopefully they realize that with the marvelous technology we have now days you can PAUSE the time! Yes I know novel concept 'pausing time' (can he really do it?).

Football is a flowing game and it is often unclear when pauses should occur. The clock counts how long the game has been in play which is a remnant of the age of the sport when they would just be timed with a clock or a watch.

On the subject of the England v USA game. Why do England keep making it so hard for themselves? :cry: I was very surprised he went with a 442 instead of playing Gerrard or Cole behind Rooney. I was especially surprised when he brought Crouch on for Heskey. Hardly a tactical change. They're going to have to get a lot better if they want to go anywhere. Watching the Algeria v Slovenia match at the moment they will have a couple of good practise matches to get it right which I'm thankful for.

Cyrus said:
When the length of the period is known (and most people watching a soccer game know that each half lasts 45 min + injury time) the choice of counting up vs counting down is usually nothing more than a matter of convention. However, the addition of injury time is one good reason to count up. Would you rather see the clock count up from 45 to 49 or down from 0 ot -4?

In principle no one watching a soccer game (not even the ref) knows when it will end until the injury time (typically 2 to 5 mins) has been set. The official FIFA scoreboard displays the team names, scores, game time as well as the injury time to be added. So, for instance, if you see: < KOR (2) ~ 85.00 ~ GRE (0) ~ 4 > that means you are 85 minutes into the game, with 5 minutes of regulation play left and 4 minutes of injury time to be added on (total 9 minutes more till the end).

PS: Cyrus - was kidding with my previous post.

Last edited:
Kurdt said:
Watching the Algeria v Slovenia match at the moment they will have a couple of good practise matches to get it right which I'm thankful for.
Those won't be ordinary practice matches. Neither England nor the US wants to be the second team to advance from group C as that team will almost certainly get to play Germany in the round of 16. That tie between the US and England pretty much guarantees that Group C has some brutal games in the offing.

D H said:
Algeria - Slovenia (0-0)
That was looking like a good prediction for the first 70 minutes of the match. That red card in the 72th minute makes this prediction suspect. We'll see if Slovenia can take advantage of the situation.

Update: Yes, they can.

wow still scoreless for ghana/serbia game.

D H said:
That red card in the 72th minute...
I saw that coming (a day ago). :biggrin:

Red card serbia! WOW! He was holding him but a second yellow card? Idk... he shouldn't have been playing so rough already having 1 yellow though.

zomgwtf said:
Red card serbia! WOW! He was holding him but a second yellow card? Idk... he shouldn't have been playing so rough already having 1 yellow though.

Ghana wins after a penalty shot awarded for a hand ball. 1-0 final score. :smile: Good **** blackstars!

zomgwtf said:
Ghana wins after a penalty shot awarded for a hand ball. 1-0 final score. :smile: Good **** blackstars!

Well, of all my bad result predictions, I really didn't think I'd be wrong on that one. Ghana should have had no chance!

cristo said:
Well, of all my bad result predictions, I really didn't think I'd be wrong on that one. Ghana should have had no chance!

I don't know, Ghana has been a pretty decent team on the world stage for a long time. Not so much this year but a lot of their games they were playing second string players all the time. However I didn't think they played soo great, just better than Serbia.

The funny thing until now is that many goal keepers criticized the ball of this world cup. According to them, it takes strange paths in the air, and it is made against goal keepers and we should see more goals. Until now, 7 matches were played and 9 goals were scored. Only 9, less than any world cup with the same number of matches played...

fluidistic said:
The funny thing until now is that many goal keepers criticized the ball of this world cup. According to them, it takes strange paths in the air, and it is made against goal keepers and we should see more goals. Until now, 7 matches were played and 9 goals were scored. Only 9, less than any world cup with the same number of matches played...

That's because at the same time ball plays its tricks on other players, so they are unable to pass it or shot on goal with success.

All 3 games today had a red card come out (the Germans didn't need that extra help though).

For tomorrow:

Netherlands - Denmark (1 - 0)
Japan - Cameroon (0 - 1)
Italy - Paraguay (2 - 0)

Gokul43201 said:
All 3 games today had a red card come out (the Germans didn't need that extra help though).
The red card for Tim Cahil was ridiculous.

Netherlands - Denmark (1 - 0)
Japan - Cameroon (0 - 1)
Italy - Paraguay (1 - 0)

June 14th:

Netherlands - Denmark (2-0)
Japan - Cameroon (1-0)
Italy - Paraguay (3-1)

Netherlands-Denmark 1,0
Japan-Cameroon 1,1
Italy-Paraguay 1,1

Netherlands - Denmark (1-0)
Japan - Cameroon (1-0)