Discuss the World Cup 2010: England vs. USA

In summary, the most exciting match on June 12th is the England v USA match. I think both teams have a good chance of progressing from the group they're in, but I'm rooting for the US to win.
Netherlands-Japan (3 - 1)
Ghana-Australia (0 - 2)
Cameroon-Denmark (2 - 2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Those last 3 submissions were really late. Dads was close to 2hrs and Borgs was close to 4... lol

Cameron 1 - 1 Denmark

The best game so far in the tournament!

estro said:
Cameron 1 - 1 Denmark

I'm not sure about of the tournament but definitely of the last few days :tongue:. It's been interesting. Denmark now has 2, I hardly think they deserve to win but Cameroons defense in that situation was just awful.

1-2, good game! And the Netherlands is qualified for the next round! :biggrin:

For tomorrow:
Slovakia - Paraguay (0 - 1)
Italy - New Zealand (2 - 0)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (2 - 0)

Slovakia - Paraguay (0 - 1)
Italy - New Zealand (2 - 0)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (1 - 1)

Not late today:biggrin:
Slovakia-Paraguay(1,1)
Italy-New zealand(1,2)
Brazil-Ivory Coast(3,0)

estro said:
Cameron 1 - 1 Denmark

Quite enjoyable to watch yes, much more so than our (Holland) match... We were watching it with a few friends, and we hardly cheered at all during our own match, but we kept cheering during the Cameron-Denmark match, even though we didn't really care who won lol.
We didn't play well at all, just like our first match. Luckily our opponents didn't play very well either, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten through at all!

Slovakia - Paraguay (1 - 1)
Italy - New Zealand (1 - 0)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (3 - 0)

I don't know about Denmark-Cameroon being the best played, but certainly was exciting - especially that stretch where both teams kept finding creative ways to avoid scoring.:rofl:

And the goals they did score were created by the other team's defense. It was as if both teams were playing for the loss.

This game should have ended 3-3.

BobG said:
I don't know about Denmark-Cameroon being the best played, but certainly was exciting - especially that stretch where both teams kept finding creative ways to avoid scoring.:rofl:
Exactly. They had such great chances, on both ends, but just kept missing. As I said, we were cheering for Cameron first when they hit the post like two times in a row and still didn't score, then less than 2 minutes later Denmark were almost scoring and we were cheering for them too as if we wanted them to win. We were asking ourselves "wait, why are we cheering for Denmark when we were cheering for Cameron 5 seconds ago?" but it just happened automatically lol. Very different to all the games I've seen so far of the 'more promising' teams (Spain, Holland, Germany, France, Argentina, etc), most of them were quit boring...

Slovakia - Paraguay (1-1)
Italy - New Zealand (0-0)
Brasil - Cote d'Ivoire (2-1)

Slovakia - Paraguay (1-1)
Italy - New Zealand (1-0)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (2-1)

I want Ivory Coast to win :tongue: though... not much faith from here though haha

Slovakia - Paraguay (0-1)
Italy - New Zealand (1-0)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (2-1)

Brazil :approve:

Slovakia - Paraguay (0-2)

hmmmmm, I would have figured that Slovakia would have done a better job at defending... at least scoring one goal in the process lol.

A tie in what was supposed to be the most one-sided match so far. Wow. Just wow.

D H said:
A tie in what was supposed to be the most one-sided match so far. Wow. Just wow.

I think this world cup has proven that there are no more powerhouses for soccer. :tongue:. We shall see though as the tournament continues.

Well done kiwis. :tongue2:

Brazil wins the soap opera audition, but the Ivoirians put up a good show too.

Gokul43201 said:
Brazil wins the soap opera audition, but the Ivoirians put up a good show too.

Really? I think that most of the fouls that Brazil stayed down for WERE fouls. That's what you're supposed to do in soccer when fouled stay down to draw the foul.

However when KAKA got his second yellow card THAT was ********. Completely.

What? The Ivorians were terrible losers, did you see how they were aiming for the legs of the Brazilians? And the way they managed to lure Kaka into an undeserved red card was ridiculous.

Tomorrow's prediction:
Portugal - North Korea (2 - 0)
Chile - Switzerland (1 - 0)
Spain - Honduras (2 - 0)

Brazil were awful. The way they behaved trying to get fouls for nothing was pathetic. Fabiano rolling around all over the pitch for no reason was pathetic. I'm afraid they've lost all of my respect. Then when the Ivory Coast play them at their own game (and there wasa lot more contact than Brazil had) they start complaining. That is no way to advertise the game of football to the world.

It's a blurring technique for evenness, I'm loving it. hihi. Brazil stills plays much better

Kurdt said:
Brazil were awful. The way they behaved trying to get fouls for nothing was pathetic. Fabiano rolling around all over the pitch for no reason was pathetic. I'm afraid they've lost all of my respect. Then when the Ivory Coast play them at their own game (and there wasa lot more contact than Brazil had) they start complaining. That is no way to advertise the game of football to the world.

I must have missed most of those. I didn't see any more animation on the ground drawing the foul from Brazil than any other team.

zomgwtf said:
I must have missed most of those. I didn't see any more animation on the ground drawing the foul from Brazil than any other team.

You obviously weren't paying attention then.

Kurdt said:
You obviously weren't paying attention then.

Maybe it was you not paying attention to the amount of times that Brazil was legit fouled but the players got back up and back into the game?

I like how the Ivorians display the worst sportsmanship out of the entire tournament, even out of the entire history of the world cup that I've seen and you're on here complaining about how Brazil played. I didn't see Brazil crying on the ground intentionally to get other players cards to get them kicked out. I didn't see Brazil targetting key players from Ivory Coast by tackling their legs extremely roughly.

I have a feeling you're just a HATER. Well KEEP ON HATIN.
EDIT: In fact CBC After the match that was a key point they brought up. How Brazilian players had GOTTEN UP after being fouled and receiving no call just to get back in the game immediately. I feel 100% sure they are more knowledgeable about soccer and have a better reputation to fall back upon than you do. So I won't bother looking for video of this cry-baby Brazilian team, I'll just take their word over yours.

Anyway for tomorrow:

Portugal vs. North Korea (1-1)
Chile vs. Switzerland (2-0)
Spain vs. Honduras (3-1)

Mine for tomorrow. A little earlier this time. :rolleyes:

Portugal - North Korea (3-0)
Chile - Switzerland (3-1)
Spain - Honduras (2-0)

Results, June 18, 19, 20:

Germany - Serbia (0 - 1)
Slovenia - USA (2 - 2)
England - Algeria (0 - 0)

Netherlands - Japan (1 - 0)
Ghana - Australia (1 - 1)
Cameroon - Denmark (1 - 2)

Slovakia - Paraguay (0 - 2)
Italy - New Zealand (1 - 1)
Brazil - Ivory Coast (3 - 1)Scoring Table
Code:
Member      June 18+19+20 Score      Cumulative Score
-----------------------------------------------------
Dadface           1+o+1                   8
D H               0+2+2                   16
Bob               0+2+1                   13
Monique           1+1+2                   13
estro             1+1+1                   12
cristo            1+o+2                   14
zomgwtf           0+1+1                   10
lewdtenant        0+2+o                   3
rootX             0+o+o                   4
Borg              0+o+o                   0

I've dropped all participants with three consecutive no shows. And I changed the convention a little: o is for a no show or a late submission, and 0 is for all bad guesses. Dadface earns an unofficial top spot on this table because the o on his score might have been a 4, had it been submitted on time.

Last edited:
zomgwtf said:
Maybe it was you not paying attention to the amount of times that Brazil was legit fouled but the players got back up and back into the game?

I like how the Ivorians display the worst sportsmanship out of the entire tournament, even out of the entire history of the world cup that I've seen and you're on here complaining about how Brazil played. I didn't see Brazil crying on the ground intentionally to get other players cards to get them kicked out. I didn't see Brazil targetting key players from Ivory Coast by tackling their legs extremely roughly.

I have a feeling you're just a HATER. Well KEEP ON HATIN.
EDIT: In fact CBC After the match that was a key point they brought up. How Brazilian players had GOTTEN UP after being fouled and receiving no call just to get back in the game immediately. I feel 100% sure they are more knowledgeable about soccer and have a better reputation to fall back upon than you do. So I won't bother looking for video of this cry-baby Brazilian team, I'll just take their word over yours.

Wow. You like Brazil then.

zomgwtf said:
Really? I think that most of the fouls that Brazil stayed down for WERE fouls. That's what you're supposed to do in soccer when fouled stay down to draw the foul.

However when KAKA got his second yellow card THAT was ********. Completely.
Did you miss the dive just before that one (I think it was Fabiano) which earned Ivory Coast (Tioté, I think) a yellow card? During the last 10 minutes, it looked like a streetfight turned dive-athon out there (both teams participating, and Dunga not helping matters either).

But in any case, I wasn't implying that Brazil won because of acting - they were clearly the better team out there. Both teams also displayed some extremely sloppy moves during the first half (but at least those were football moves).

Portugal-N korea(2,1)
Chile-Switzerland(0,0)
Spain-Honduras(2,0)

Gokul43201 said:
Did you miss the dive just before that one (I think it was Fabiano) which earned Ivory Coast (Tioté, I think) a yellow card? During the last 10 minutes, it looked like a streetfight turned dive-athon out there (both teams participating, and Dunga not helping matters either).

But in any case, I wasn't implying that Brazil won because of acting - they were clearly the better team out there. Both teams also displayed some extremely sloppy moves during the first half (but at least those were football moves).

Yeah I did see that foul. I'm pretty sure it was clear that he was going after his legs and he DID only hit his legs. Unless we're talking about completely different situations...

Kurdt said:
Wow. You like Brazil then.

No, not really. I'm just saying it how it is, you're just a hater. Nothing more, nothing less.

As well I had wanted Ivory coast to win this game... if you go back and see my post from when I made my predictions you can read that for yourself.

zomgwtf said:
No, not really. I'm just saying it how it is, you're just a hater. Nothing more, nothing less.

As well I had wanted Ivory coast to win this game... if you go back and see my post from when I made my predictions you can read that for yourself.

I really don't know what's narked you so much. I merely stated the game as I saw it.