World Famous Physicist Lawyer

In summary, the detective found a second bullet from a missed shot that had embedded itself into a 20.0 kg wooden chair. The chair slid 3 centimeters on the wood floor when struck by the bullet with a mass of 10 g and a velocity of 450 m/s. The barrel length of the gun used by the defendant was 62 cm. The force of the bullet on the chair was 25312.5 N and the force of friction on the chair was 39.2 N. The chair traveled a distance of 2.00*10^-5 m during the impulse and an additional distance of 1.29 cm due to the force of friction. The wood floor and chair feet likely prevented the chair
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

You are a world-famous physicist-lawyer defending a client who has been charged with murder. It is alleged that your client, Mr. Smith, shot the victim, Mr. Wesson. The detective who investigated the scene of the crime found a second bullet, from a shot that missed Mr. Wesson, that had embedded itself into a chair. You arise to cross-examine the detective. You: In what type of chair did you find the bullet? Det: A wooden chair. You: How massive was this chair? Det: It had a mass of 20.0 kg. You: How did the chair respond to being struck with a bullet? Det: It slid across the floor. You: How far? Det: Three centimeters. The slide marks on the dusty floor are quite distinct. You: What kind of floor was it? Det: A wood floor, very nice oak planks. You: What was the mass of the bullet you retrieved from the chair? Det: Its mass was 10 g. You: And how far had it penetrated into the chair? Det: A distance of 4.00 cm. You: Have you tested the gun you found in Mr. Smith's possession? Det: I have. You: What is the muzzle velocity of bullets fired from that gun? Det: The muzzle velocity is 450 m/s. You: And the barrel length? Det: The gun has a barrel length of 62 cm.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force on chair by the bullet if the bullet is going 450 m/s

0=(450)^2 +2a(.04m)
a= -2531250 m/s^2

F= (.01kg)(-2531250m/s^2)
So force by bullet on chair is 25312.5 N
This force acts this time:
for 0=(450m/s) + (-2531250m/s^2)(t)
t= 1.78 * 10^-4 s

Force of friction on chair : (20.01kg)(9.80)(.20) = 39.2 N

sum forces on x = Fb-kinetic friction = 25312.5N-39.2N= 25273.3 N
acceleration of chair= (20.01kg)(a)= 25273.3N a=1263 m/s^2

Impulse-momentum theorem: Impulse plus initial momentum equals final momentum
(25273.3N)(1.78*10^-4s) + 0 = (20.01kg)v
v=.225m/s this is the velocity of the chair when the bullet stops moving

distance it has gone during the impulse:
(.225m/s)^2= (0m/s)^2 + 2(1263 m/s^2)x
x=2.00*10^-5 m

after this: Force of friction = 39.2 N

(20.01kg)(a)=(-39.2N) a=-1.95 m/s^2

distance traveled during this time

(0m/s)^2=(.225 m/s)^2 + 2(-1.95m/s^2)x
x=.013 m =1.29 cm.

Is this correct, or am I making this way too complicated? If it is not correct, could you please explain how you would have done it?

Physics news on Phys.org
why does the problem give you the barrel length of the gun?

I think that is useless info. Any thoughts on this one yet?

Why does the chair not move across the entire room?

You need another piece of information: hint: it has to do with the fact that the floor is wood, as well as the chair feet?

AM

i took friction into account i think

I think you are making this too complicated

1. Who is "World Famous Physicist Lawyer" and what makes them unique?

"World Famous Physicist Lawyer" is a fictional character created for entertainment purposes. They are unique because they possess both knowledge and skills in the fields of physics and law, which are two very different disciplines.

2. Is there a real person who is both a physicist and a lawyer?

While there may be individuals who have studied both physics and law, it is highly unlikely that someone would hold both a PhD in physics and a JD (Juris Doctor) degree and actively practice in both fields simultaneously.

3. Can a physicist become a lawyer without a law degree?

No, in order to practice law, one must hold a law degree and pass the bar exam in their respective jurisdiction. A degree in physics would not qualify someone to practice law.

4. How can a physicist use their knowledge in the field of law?

A physicist can use their knowledge in areas of law that involve scientific or technical issues, such as patent law, environmental law, or intellectual property law. They may also be valuable in consulting or providing expert testimony in legal cases involving scientific evidence.

5. Is it common for scientists to also have a law degree?

It is not very common for scientists to also hold a law degree. However, there are some individuals who have pursued both fields of study and may use their knowledge in both areas in their careers.