What are the hidden truths about the food industry?

• News
  • Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food Supply
In summary: I'm sorry, I can't remember.Not w/o an abundance of petro-chemicals. In summary, the UN reports that the World's food supply is dwindling rapidly while prices are approaching historic highs. Prices of wheat and oilseeds are at record highs, and reserves of cereals are severely depleted. As long as a box of mac-n-cheese us under $2 and an apple 40 cents, I don't see how anyone goes hungry. However, if next year's crops don't do well, people will be fatter than ever in history.
chemisttree said:
Nobody uses the term "petrochemical" to mean mined rock - anywhere.

Did I somehow give the impression I was talking about rocks? I didn't use that word. I'm talking about the chemicals. Is it really completely unintelligible to talk about "a petrochemical source of phosphorous"? Look, I know I'm not a chemist but the way I'm phrasing this isn't gibberish, at best it's imprecise.

[edit] I get it, I missed your dictionary quote before. I had never realized that the "petro" is actually "petroleum" contracted rather than the prefix "petro-". You wacky scientists, you, getting all crazy with your Latin and Greek prefixes and roots and then pulling this on me. So after all, what I was saying is gibberish. I apologize but a less brusque correction would have been helpful.

chemisttree said:
But the reserve base is 47,000,000 thousand metric tons. And that is only what is reported as known at this time. Where does that put the end of phosphorous?

What is "reserve base" and why did you leave out the part of that report that tells what the difference between that and the "reserve" figure I quoted is?

That number is of course about four times what the "reserve" figure is. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to more than quadruple the worldwide amount of arable land cultivated with phosphorous fertilizer in the next century, which would result in the depletion of the "reserve base" in about the same amount of time I mentioned before. Compared to the U.S. chemical fertilizers aren't extensively used in the Far East, Central Asia, Africa, South America, or Central America, are they?

chemisttree said:
Weathering of igneous rock deposits it in marine sediments where it can be further concentrated by mechanisms that are not clear and concise. The source of phosphorous is igneous rock, weathered and carried into shallow seas where it combines with calcium and or fluoride and concentrates by mechanisms that are not fully understood. Both sedimentary and igneous rocks are mined as sources of phosphorous. My comment was actually focusing on the statement that phosphorous occurs as a result of organic processes such as in bat guano. Not so.

Bat guano and sea life is what I said. Of course, I realize that it must have ultimately originated in igneous rock, I'm not suggesting that it appeared from nowhere. By "comes from" I was referring to where we get the phosphate that's used in fertilizer, not where all phosphorous on Earth comes from.

I appreciate that you've clarified that the presence of phosphorous in sea sediments is due to non-organic processes - that means that older sedimentary rock than that containing sea life will contain it, right? And the USGS report you provide also sounds like it's saying there's believed to be some at the bottom of the Mariana Trench and other deep-ocean sources. So hopefully within the range of not-too-expensive future mining technology.

chemisttree said:
I have on my bookshelf the book entitled "Industrial Minerals and Rocks", 6th ed. I have indeed read the chapter on "Phosphate Rock".

Look, all I said was that this was a more interesting potential problem than the original post about fluctuations in world food prices. I said any actual problem is decades and decades in the future, didn't I? Why the heck are you being so mean and hyperbolic about this? I can take it of course, but do you feel as though I've stepped on your turf or something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I hadn't noticed before that you're the original poster in the thread, too. So possibly you perceive this as threadjacking as well as an incursion of a non-chemist into chemistry. I apologize if this is too tangentially related to the original post for your tastes but because of the basic math this makes sense to me. I'm genuinely interested in hearing you articulate a debunking of this, it's just that what you've said so far doesn't seem to impact the core "peak phosphorous" argument and has seemed offhandedly dismissive.

Another reason that this seems feasible to me is that I reached a similar conclusion on my own, while reading about the chemical constituents of fertilizers, before I came across the article I linked to.

Last edited:
GMOs have patents as well. If you grow the seeds without rights then you can be sued by the owners of the patents. What if the natural species were destroyed, then they would rely on the GMOs and the owners of the patient would have absolute control over not only selling the seeds, but the rights to grow them.

I actually wouldn't doubt at all that the corn was given to them for this purpose and this only. The long term goal may not be to help feed these nations, but rather to eventually starve them off.

W3pcq said:
I actually wouldn't doubt at all that the corn was given to them for this purpose and this only. The long term goal may not be to help feed these nations, but rather to eventually starve them off.
Arg, you've found us out. Shhhusss, don't tell anybody.

chemisttree said:
The UN reports that the World's food supply is dwindling rapidly while prices are approaching historic highs. http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/12/17/europe/food.php

Wheat has just hit a record high of $10.095 per bushel for March delivery.

What happens if next year's crops don't do well?

From Erlich's The Population Bomb, 1968
The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s and 1980s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. At this late date nothing can prevent a substantial increase in the world death rate, although many lives could be saved through dramatic programs to 'stretch' the carrying capacity of the Earth by increasing food production and providing for more equitable distribution of whatever food is available. But these programs will only provide a stay of execution unless they are accompanied by determined and successful efforts at population control
Erlich also predicted that 'England will not exist in the year 2000' due to mass starvation, poverty, etc.

Stop the Malthusian madness.

See Simon's http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=r...c9-eBmrOM-afR9iQ&sig2=H5_twiKE9UhKDIAIRhOLQw"
Science Jun 27, 1980

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that those predictions were off by a bit. The food supply is not an estimate, however. Neigher are the historic high prices of grain. These are real numbers.

chemisttree said:
...The food supply is not an estimate, however. Neigher are the historic high prices of grain. These are real numbers.
Yes, agreed, but what is the significance? I That 52% jump in 1 year is certainly going to hurt; its also just the thing needed to get more wheat planted. Regards the $10/bushel, how does that compare historically after inflation adjustment? couldn't readily find any historic wheat price data already crunched.

Let's hope that the high prices can encourage additional supply. However, I believe that the supply is largely limited by failed crops over the last several years in the face of increasing demand.

W3pcq said:
Actually, the seed is sent with the instruction that it is for CONSUMPTION ONLY, it is NOT to be planted. Since people tend not to follow instructions, plans to mill the corn to prevent planting are being put into place. So much for that consipiracy.

And there is literally tons of food decaying because it is being held and not distributed to the people that need it. There is plenty of food, politics is peventing it from getting to those that need it.

Last edited:
Should a country be able to supply its own inhabitants with food? I think this is a important question. GM or not, shouldn't a country limit the population to who they can feed? As in china ;)

henxan said:
Should a country be able to supply its own inhabitants with food? I think this is a important question. GM or not, shouldn't a country limit the population to who they can feed? As in china ;)

To me this is a difficult question along the lines of asking whether division of labor makes sense?

One could live in a desert sitting on a large reserve of oil, and not be able to grow a thing, and squak like hell when the price of rice rises. Or anywhere from Kansas to Iowa and *****ing about the price of petrol. The world is not a homogeneous ball. To set limits, wish we could, in fact wish the whole world would at about 1950 levels..

henxan said:

I was reading about Pakistan a couple of weeks ago and was astonished at the number of headlines regarding the wheat shortage there. It seems Pakistan does generally produce enough for their own people. Unfortunately, someone goofed last year and exported 1.6 million tons.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/southasia/features/article_1386542.php [Broken]
South Asia Features
Pakistan's poor, Musharraf reeling under wheat crisis
Jan 14, 2008, 12:39 GMT

Now Musharraf has even more explaining to do. His government has been accused of miscalculating wheat harvest estimates, causing shortages that doubled the price of wheat flour from 15 to 30 rupees (24 to 48 cents) per kilogramme in less than a week.

The sudden price spike has aggravated the suffering of millions of families whose daily income is only around 100 rupees, especially because roti, a round, flat bread made of wheat flour, is part of every meal.

Thousands of people took to the streets in several cities and towns across the country in protest, and commentators have warned that such demonstrations could increase if the wheat crisis is not overcome quickly.

Though the Pakistani AP reported something different the next day

http://www.app.com.pk/en/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26411&Itemid=2
Wheat flour shortage ends in big cities:

ISLAMABAD, Jan 15 (APP):There is no wheat flour shortage in big cities of the country as sufficient supplies have been ensured through prudent and timely measures, Spokesman and Joint Secretary Ministry of Food and Agriculture Seerat Asghar said Tuesday. “

Sounds like Baghdad Bob found a new job.

Anyways, that would really suck if I were to walk into the grocery store one day and find that all the prices had doubled since my last visit.

As has the price of rice in Saudi Arabia, which according to the NPR story I heard, has increased tensions beteween the very rich and the rest. My best guess and not happy one is these events will only rise exponentially over the next two decades, and will result in more quasi-police state emergencies.

henxan said:

If that's a serious standard I actually think China wouldn't be the one to look at, would it? They probably have much more sustainable farming methodologies, for more people, than anywhere else in the world, I would think.

I would think that all of the countries that have populations greatly in excess of their ability to feed themselves would be in the first world. I would expect Britain, Japan, or Belgium to be candidates, not China. Though I could certainly be wrong on those counts, I haven't done research. Looks like the relevant search term may be http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="net+food+importer"".

My impression has been that the horrendous famines in Chinese history have most frequently come from wars, or in the last century from Mao. Once Mao had control of the country it was like playing with dolls, he thought he could completely restructure Chinese agriculture and industry with no knowledge or experience, and no one could say "no" to him.

'We blew it' on global food, says Bill Clinton
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081023/ap_on_re_af/un_un_food_crisis [Broken]

UNITED NATIONS – Former President Clinton told a U.N. gathering Thursday that the global food crisis shows "we all blew it, including me," by treating food crops "like color TVs" instead of as a vital commodity for the world's poor.

Addressing a high-level event marking Oct. 16's World Food Day, Clinton also saluted President Bush — "one thing he got right" — for pushing to change U.S. food aid policy. He scolded the bipartisan coalition in Congress that killed the idea of making some aid donations in cash rather than in food.

Clinton criticized decades of policymaking by the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund and others, encouraged by the U.S., that pressured Africans in particular into dropping government subsidies for fertilizer, improved seed and other farm inputs as a requirement to get aid. Africa's food self-sufficiency declined and food imports rose.

Now skyrocketing prices in the international grain trade — on average more than doubling between 2006 and early 2008 — have pushed many in poor countries deeper into poverty.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon told the gathering that prices on some food items are "500 percent higher than normal" in Haiti and Ethiopia, for example. The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization estimates the number of undernourished people worldwide rose to 923 million last year.

"Food is not a commodity like others," Clinton said. "We should go back to a policy of maximum food self-sufficiency. It is crazy for us to think we can develop countries around the world without increasing their ability to feed themselves."
. . . .
"If we're going to do biofuels, we ought to look at the more efficient kind," he said, referring, for example, to the jatropha shrub, a nonfood source that grows on land not suitable for grain.
. . . .
D'Escoto also expressed disappointment that of $22 billion pledged by wealthy nations to help poor nations' agriculture in this year of food crisis, only $2.2 billion has been made available.
. . . .

10 Things the Food Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
Two nutrition experts argue that you can't take marketing campaigns at face value
http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...he-food-industry-doesnt-want-you-to-know.html
. . .
4. More processing means more profits, but typically makes the food less healthy.
Minimally processed foods such as fresh fruits and vegetables obviously aren't where food companies look for profits. The big bucks stem from turning government-subsidized commodity crops—mainly corn, wheat, and soybeans—into fast foods, snack foods, and beverages. High-profit products derived from these commodity crops are generally high in calories and low in nutritional value.
. . .
6. Many supposedly healthy replacement foods are hardly healthier than the foods they replace.
In 2006, for example, major beverage makers agreed to remove sugary sodas from school vending machines. But the industry mounted an intense lobbying effort that persuaded lawmakers to allow sports drinks and vitamin waters that—despite their slightly healthier reputations—still can be packed with sugar and calories.
. . .
10. The food industry works aggressively to discredit its critics.
According to the new JAMA article, the Center for Consumer Freedom boasts that "[our strategy] is to shoot the messenger. We've got to attack [activists'] credibility as spokespersons."
. . . .
High-calorie, low-nutrition food contributes to the obesity problem in the US.

<h2>1. What are the main concerns about the food industry?</h2><p>The main concerns about the food industry include food safety, sustainability, and transparency. There are also concerns about the treatment of animals, the use of pesticides and chemicals, and the impact of the industry on the environment.</p><h2>2. How does the food industry impact our health?</h2><p>The food industry can have both positive and negative impacts on our health. Some processed foods may contain high levels of sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats, which can lead to obesity and chronic diseases. On the other hand, the food industry also provides access to a variety of nutritious foods that can support a healthy diet.</p><h2>3. What are some hidden truths about food labeling?</h2><p>One hidden truth about food labeling is that terms like "natural" and "organic" are not strictly regulated, leading to confusion for consumers. Additionally, some products may use misleading serving sizes to make their nutritional information appear more favorable. Another hidden truth is that many food products contain hidden ingredients, such as preservatives and additives, that may not be listed on the label.</p><h2>4. How does the food industry impact the environment?</h2><p>The food industry has a significant impact on the environment, from the production and transportation of food to the disposal of packaging and waste. Large-scale agriculture practices can contribute to deforestation, water pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions. The use of pesticides and fertilizers can also harm local ecosystems and wildlife.</p><h2>5. What can be done to improve the food industry?</h2><p>To improve the food industry, there needs to be more transparency and regulation. This includes stricter labeling laws, better oversight of food production and processing, and more sustainable practices. Consumers can also make a difference by supporting local and organic food producers and making informed choices about what they eat.</p>

1. What are the main concerns about the food industry?

The main concerns about the food industry include food safety, sustainability, and transparency. There are also concerns about the treatment of animals, the use of pesticides and chemicals, and the impact of the industry on the environment.

2. How does the food industry impact our health?

The food industry can have both positive and negative impacts on our health. Some processed foods may contain high levels of sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats, which can lead to obesity and chronic diseases. On the other hand, the food industry also provides access to a variety of nutritious foods that can support a healthy diet.

3. What are some hidden truths about food labeling?

One hidden truth about food labeling is that terms like "natural" and "organic" are not strictly regulated, leading to confusion for consumers. Additionally, some products may use misleading serving sizes to make their nutritional information appear more favorable. Another hidden truth is that many food products contain hidden ingredients, such as preservatives and additives, that may not be listed on the label.

4. How does the food industry impact the environment?

The food industry has a significant impact on the environment, from the production and transportation of food to the disposal of packaging and waste. Large-scale agriculture practices can contribute to deforestation, water pollution, and greenhouse gas emissions. The use of pesticides and fertilizers can also harm local ecosystems and wildlife.

5. What can be done to improve the food industry?

To improve the food industry, there needs to be more transparency and regulation. This includes stricter labeling laws, better oversight of food production and processing, and more sustainable practices. Consumers can also make a difference by supporting local and organic food producers and making informed choices about what they eat.