Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World peace

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1

wolram

Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2
    Very nice! Then what about doing businesses in those red zones ? Is it safe, really enjoyable (without headaches) however cheap the labor over there may be ?

4. Feb 7, 2016 #3
    If Europe can find peace after millenia of war, anywhere can find peace.

The world is a lot more peaceful than it was. I, II, Korea, H-bombs, Viet Nam, Iraq vs. Iran, Kosovo, Iraq I...

5. Feb 7, 2016 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How much WHAT to bring about world peace?

6. Feb 7, 2016 #5
    Until war is no longer profitable, it will continue.

7. Feb 7, 2016 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think profit is the cause of all wars. Ideology and religious fervor are among other causes.

8. Feb 7, 2016 #7
    I'm thinking a degree away. aka arms dealers.

9. Feb 8, 2016 #8
    I think a lot of people with a lot of interest in selling weapons don't have issues with stirring the religious pots up a bit.

10. Feb 8, 2016 #9
    In the old days war was about booty. That went out with the invention of the machine gun. War became a loss to everyone involved except Daddy Warbucks types. They may wield considerable influence, but I don't see why this tiny minority can't be kept under control.

11. Feb 8, 2016 #10
    2.24 X 10^32 Joules would be a good start. How many world pieces did you want?

12. Feb 8, 2016 #11
    War creates jobs. So does disease, lawsuits, mental illness, crime, natural disasters, etc.

13. Feb 8, 2016 #12
    So do strip clubs

14. Feb 8, 2016 #13
    The question is, should job creation be the criterion?

15. Feb 8, 2016 #14

wolram

Gold Member

16. Feb 8, 2016 #15

wolram

Gold Member

17. Feb 8, 2016 #16

wolram

Gold Member

18. Feb 8, 2016 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Weapons companies cause wars? Are you guys serious? If that were true, they must be reaaalllly bad at it, since none of the major world powers have had a significant war in 40 years! The wars going on right now are low cost, low tech, low profit.

The main profit from war is theft, but even that isn't very significant anymore. Most wars are matters of religious/ethnic hate, not profit. Theft and hate are what war has always been about. Countries that have grown out of using violence to solve such issues amongst themselves (the West) have essentially completely abandoned war.

The idea that weapons companies cause wars is just a popular - albeit vague - liberal conspiracy theory.

19. Feb 8, 2016 #18

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think that's a bit odd to say, given the long term military campaigns of the USA and its allies in Iraq and Afghanistan during the last 1.5 decade or so, hence even excluding the first Iraq war. A single cruise missile costs around a million dollars, depending on the specific type.

Here I do not pass any judgement on those campaigns, just pointing out that they did take place and much of the West was involved, albeit far from home.
    Drones and other unmanned airborne weaponry seem quite high-tech to me. Probably their share of the defense budget in the West will only increase during the coming years.

20. Feb 8, 2016 #19

russ_watters

Krylov, the needed clarification there is that the US engagement in those wars (and indeed the size of the wars themselves) is not significant -- by historic standards. $1 M for a cruise missile, for example, is pretty much nothing

Yes, the most significant war since Vietnam was Gulf War I. It was tiny in comparison to previous wars: the previous 40 years saw three wars that killed tens or hundreds of times more people and cost tens or hundreds of times more money.

Regarding our wars and hight tech weaponry (and the US in general): you are missing the point: the US is not currently a significant contributor in any of the world's wars and in total since Vietnam has contributed very little overall.
    [Edit] Clicking through the link in the OP, I see we do still have 10,000 troops in Afganistan. I'd argue that isn't "significant", but I don't think I was aware we still had any.

21. Feb 8, 2016 #20

russ_watters

I tend to really dislike threads like this because they generally apply the "war is terrible" mantra flatly; without any context or quantification. As a result they give the impression of implying that the world is unusually dangerous by historical standards, when in fact it is unusually safe.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook