Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

World vote: Democrat vs Republican U. S. President!

1. 90-100% Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 80-90% Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 70-80% Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 60-70% Republican

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 50-60% Republican

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. 50-60% Democratic

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. 60-70% Democratic

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  8. 70-80% Democratic

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. 80-90% Democratic

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  10. 90-100% Democratic

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Dec 6, 2003 #1
    What ratio, from voting between U. S. Democratic and Republican presidential candidates, would a world plebiscite yield?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2003 #2
    Hmmmm....since most human beings support the principles that Democrats promote, that should be an easy question to answer, shouldn't it?

4. Dec 7, 2003 #3

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

interesting you should mention this zero...isn't america more of a republic then a democracy? definitions of each (according to dictionary.com):

republic

A political order whose head of state is not a monarch and in modern times is usually a president.
    A nation that has such a political order.

A political order in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who are entitled to vote for officers and representatives responsible to them.
    A nation that has such a political order.

democracy:

Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives.
    A political or social unit that has such a government.
    The common people, considered as the primary source of political power.
    Majority rule.
    The principles of social equality and respect for the individual within a community.

i also found this adjective in my 1972 webster's dictionary:

Democratic-Republican:

of our relating to a major American political party of the early 19th century favoring a strict interpretation of the constitution
    to restrict the powers of the federal government and emphasizing states's rights

this sounds like a good plan for the majority of americans...

5. Dec 7, 2003 #4
    How is the rest of the world supposed to know what these parties policies are? How could they? Half the world seems to think all the US politicians are evil anyway and most of the rest don't give a damn!

6. Dec 7, 2003 #5

kat

The ratio that the world would vote really has little bearing on which candidate is the best canditate for the United States. The world would not have our best interest in mind, in fact they might choose to pick a poor candidate in order to benefit theirselves and our loss.
    So, with that in mind...what's your point?

7. Dec 7, 2003 #6
    kat,

I wanted to compare simply the political spectrum worldwide to that of an alienating United States. Might these results (with abstentions) show some need for a minimum of education and prosperity in an effective democratic election? Also, are not our decisions often a loss for the rest of our planet, and eventually our country?

8. Dec 7, 2003 #7

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I put 60-70% because I don't think the world is as solidly leftist as many do.

9. Dec 7, 2003 #8
    The term 'leftist' is misleading. The Democratic Party is centrist, and the Republican party is heavily right-wing. Most people are centrist.

10. Dec 7, 2003 #9

FZ+

I'll say 50% each, since most people can't tell the difference.

11. Dec 7, 2003 #10

kat

Well..I don't know..I certainly could see a majority supporting a Democratic President today, but on the other hand were the President to have direct influence on the laws of their country..how strongly would states that condemn homosexuality and do not uphold women's rights,and/or religiously oppressive countries support a president who would support those freedoms?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  12. Dec 9, 2003 #11
    80-90% democratic. Less if Bush is not the Republican candidate.

13. Dec 9, 2003 #12
    Get rid of Bush and the Republicans would definetly win.

Keep Bush and the Republicans won't get a vote (and this I say as not one person I know likes Bush!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?