Creating Habitable World Like Keplar 47: Tips & Advice

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a fictional world with a binary system and two moons, similar to Earth but with a 40 hour day and 40 degree axial tilt. The possibility of such a world and its potential effects are explored, including extreme seasons, larger polar caps, and the need for a diagram to determine day/night patterns. The distance from the sun(s) and the number of moons also play a role in determining the planet's environment and evolution. The presence of multiple moons could lead to more chaotic tidal forces and a highly eroded surface, potentially creating a rocky and dangerous world for its inhabitants.
Pquery
I'm working on a project building a world from the top down. What I started with was the idea of a binary system like Keplar 47. With a habitual planet with two moons. Atmosphere similar to Earth. I'm going with an idea of a 40 hour day and 40 degree axis tilt. Is such a world possible or what would need to happen to make such an environment possible. I know the seasons would be more extreme and the polor caps larger. Anything else I need to know?

Physics news on Phys.org
As I understand it, any axial tilt compared to the orbital plane is possible.
The moons can also be on different orbital planes than the equator of the planet or the orbital plane of the planet. This should be considered.
You should make a diagram to figure how how much of the planet gets 100% day/night during the winter/summer.
Depending on how far from the sun(s) your planet is would help determine how much ice there would be during winter and how much of the sun-facing polar region would melt.
This will also affect the year length, which will have a dramatic effect on the evolution of the planet and its ecosphere.
If the cap fully melts, I would expect more extreme weather worldwide during spring and fall as the cold winter air and water interacts with the hot summer air.
I believe the multiple moons would make the tidal forces more chaotic, making shoreline settlements more dangerous. Remember that the inner moon would orbit at a higher speed than the outer moon.

All of these forces would make for highly eroded surface. To compensate, you might make it a more active geology, thereby making the world a more rocky, tempestuous place. Oceanic and coastal travel would be dangerous; tall buildings and large structures would be difficult to build and maintain. Your natives would likely be sturdy creatures used to building structurally robust, low, well-insulated buildings.

You might ask at Cosmoquest as well.

What is the definition of a habitable world?

A habitable world is a planet or celestial body with conditions that can support life, specifically liquid water on its surface.

How is the habitability of a world determined?

The habitability of a world is determined by various factors, including its distance from its host star, its size and mass, its composition, and the presence of an atmosphere. These factors are essential in creating an environment that can support life.

What makes Keplar 47 a unique and potentially habitable world?

Keplar 47 is a binary star system, meaning it has two stars instead of one. This creates a more stable environment and allows for a wider habitable zone where liquid water can exist. Additionally, Keplar 47 has two planets in its habitable zone, increasing the chances of finding a suitable environment for life.

What are some potential challenges in creating a habitable world like Keplar 47?

Some challenges in creating a habitable world like Keplar 47 include finding a suitable location within the habitable zone, ensuring the planet has enough liquid water, and maintaining a stable atmosphere. Additionally, the presence of two stars could create unpredictable weather patterns and potential radiation exposure.

What are some tips for creating a habitable world like Keplar 47?

Some tips for creating a habitable world like Keplar 47 include carefully selecting the planet's location within the habitable zone, ensuring it has enough liquid water through proper planet formation and orbital dynamics, and establishing a stable atmosphere through volcanic activity and weather patterns. Additionally, considering the potential effects of the binary star system and finding ways to mitigate them can increase the chances of creating a habitable world like Keplar 47.