What is the Worldwide Telescope Project and how does it compare to Google Sky?

In summary, Microsoft has launched a new online virtual telescope project, Worldwide Telescope, which is an improvement upon Google Sky. Both tools have great potential for exploration and education in astronomy. It is recommended to try out both tools and share experiences in the given thread. It is also advised to lower the volume before accessing the website as it has a loud "Microsoft Splash" sound and note that Google Sky is browser-based while Worldwide Telescope requires a download. Worldwide Telescope offers detailed graphics and intuitive navigation, allowing users to zoom in and out and search for various celestial objects. It is a valuable resource for exploring the night sky and learning about astronomy.
sysreset
Microsoft is launching a new online virtual telescope project called Worldwide Telescope. It is an evolutionary step above Google Sky, and is located at http://www.worldwidetelescope.org. Both Google Sky and Worldwide Telescope have great potential for exploration and education in astronomy. I would encourage PF'ers to explore these tools and report their experiences in this thread.

[ Hint: turn the VOLUME DOWN on your computer before clicking the link if you are in a quiet room, there is a really noisy "Microsoft Splash" sound when it launches. ]

[ Another hint: Google sky is at http://www.google.com/sky/. Google Sky is entirely browser-based, whereas Worldwide Telescope requires a download. ]

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I recently tried out Worldwide Telescope, and I was really impressed. The graphics are incredibly detailed and the navigation is intuitive. You can zoom in and out to get different levels of detail, and you can also search for stars, galaxies, planets, and other celestial objects. I found it to be a great way to explore the night sky, and I'm sure it will be useful for astronomy education.

What is the Worldwide Telescope Project?

The Worldwide Telescope Project is a virtual telescope that allows users to explore the universe through high-resolution images and data from telescopes and satellites around the world. It is a free, open-source software developed by Microsoft Research.

How does the Worldwide Telescope Project work?

The Worldwide Telescope Project is a web-based platform that uses advanced algorithms and data processing techniques to stitch together images and data from various telescopes and satellites, creating a seamless and interactive view of the universe. Users can navigate through this virtual universe, zoom in on specific objects, and access additional information and educational resources.

What can I do with the Worldwide Telescope Project?

The Worldwide Telescope Project allows users to explore and visualize the universe in ways that were previously not possible. Users can view high-resolution images of galaxies, stars, and planets, create custom tours and presentations, and access educational resources such as guided tours and interactive lessons.

Is the Worldwide Telescope Project accessible to everyone?

Yes, the Worldwide Telescope Project is accessible to everyone with an internet connection. It is a free, open-source software that can be accessed through a web browser or downloaded to a computer. The platform also offers features and resources for people with visual impairments or disabilities.

What is the purpose of the Worldwide Telescope Project?

The Worldwide Telescope Project aims to make the wonders of the universe accessible to everyone and inspire the next generation of scientists and astronomers. It also serves as a platform for scientific research and collaboration, allowing users to access and contribute to a vast collection of astronomical data.

Back