Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing WorldWide Telescope

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    So what do you guys think of this software? Do you use it often? Like it? Hate it? By some strange chance haven't heard of it or downloaded it?

Here's a link to the website:

I was astronomically challenged before using the software, but it's been really helped me familiarize myself with the night sky.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

I was going to download it but it's HUGE. Looked nice though.
  4. Jun 10, 2008 #3

Gold Member

It's OK, but you get less overhead and more flexibility if you will use other resources with non-unified interfaces. Like the Canadian Astronomy Data Center for example. You can also do batch queries. http://www2.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cadc/

In our M51-type galaxy association project, we relied heavily on IRSA, with its DSS, SDSS, and 2MASS front-ends. DSS was the most useful, and comparative observation between blue, red, and infrared bands helped us identify structure in the galaxies. Active star-forming regions tend to look more luminous in blue, as do HII galaxies, and the older materials tend to be luminous in the red bands. Also, we used the DSS plate scans in reverse grayscale, since that makes faint structure stand out more readily than positive images.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. Jun 10, 2008 #4
    I use it almost every day. A very satisfactory resources for no cost... it is indeed big though.
  6. Jun 10, 2008 #5
    Huh!? It's 20 MB? I regularly download 2 GB+ stuff. How can you guys consider the download to be big?
  7. Jun 10, 2008 #6
    What do you download that is 2Gb+? Jesus, that's huge...
  8. Jun 10, 2008 #7

Gold Member

When you connect, the overhead is pretty impressive. If you connect to IRSA, the connections may not be really fast, but they are pretty reliable.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?