Calculating Worm Gear & Stepper Motor for Single Axis Solar Tracker

In summary, when building a single axis solar tracker using worm gear and stepper motor, you will need to calculate the efficiency, output power, and input power of the worm gear. The net torque should also be equal to zero. For a 250Kw plant with 16 rows and 1 column, the worm gear will need to drive 16 rows with coupling with a single column item. The load on the gear will be 30400kg. The parameters for the worm gear include the gear ratio, output speed, and output torque. For the stepper motor, you will need to calculate the necessary torque, voltage, and current rating based on the load and speed requirements. Once you have all the necessary information, you can use online
ajitnayak87
Dear all,
I am trying to build single axis solar tracker using worm gear, I need guide line for calculation of worm gear & stepper motor .he are some relation i taken, But i wanted whether its correct & need to explain with example

efficiency= (output Power of Worm gear/ Input Power of WormGear) = Po/Pinput

Output power =P0=(2*pi*Outputspeed*outputtorque)/60

Output power in Kw
Output speed in rev/min
output torque in NmInput power = Pinput=(2*pi*Input speed*Input torque)/60

Input power in Kw
Input speed in rev/min
Input torque in Nm

Net Torque= Toutput+TInput+Tholding =0

These are basic equation followed usually

In order to drive 250Kw plant ; assume 15kw per row I have 16 rows with 1 column.

Worm gear has to Drive 16 rows with coupling with single column item

each panel weighs 20Kg ; 60 panel per row-> 60*20kg=1200Kg
Each row structural weight around = 700Kg

Net weight alone = 1900Kg per Row

so load on worm gear might be 1900*16=30400

worm gear relation part:

if torque(high) gear ratio(high) speed o/p(LOW) vice versa

There are lot of parameter in case of worm gear which are given below as example:
1 st Stage Ratio of Worm Gear: 1/10
2 nd Stage Ratio of Worm Gear:1/73
Rated Output Speed: 0.078rpm
Rated Output torque: 910 Nm
output torque :1300Nm
holding torque :10.4Knmt
axila load : 133KN
radial load :53KN
o/p speed : 56.9rpm

In case of motor i consider the motor as
https://www.anaheimautomation.com/products/stepper/stepper-motor-item.php?sID=24&pt=i&tID=75&cID=19

how can use these sample for calculation. can some help me out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The calculation of the worm gear and stepper motor depends on the load that you are trying to move. To calculate the necessary torque, you will need to know the weight of the load, the speed at which it should move, how much acceleration is required, and what kind of environment it will be operating in (temperature, humidity, etc.). Once you have that information, you can use torque calculators to determine the torque needed to move the load. For the stepper motor, you will need to calculate the necessary torque, voltage, and current rating based on the load and speed requirements. You can use online motor selection tools to help you find a suitable motor for your application. Once you have determined the necessary torque and motor parameters, you can then use the specifications for the worm gear and stepper motor to make sure they are compatible. This includes making sure the output torque rating of the worm gear is greater than the required torque, that the motor has enough voltage and current ratings to drive the load, and that the speed ratings of the gear and motor are compatible. I hope this helps!

1. How do I calculate the necessary worm gear size for a single axis solar tracker?

To calculate the worm gear size, you will need to know the desired output torque and speed of the solar tracker. You can then use the formula T = (F x P) / (2π x η) where T is the torque, F is the force applied by the solar panel, P is the pitch diameter of the worm gear, and η is the gear efficiency. Once you have the torque value, you can select a worm gear with a suitable gear ratio to achieve the desired output torque.

2. What factors should I consider when selecting a stepper motor for a single axis solar tracker?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a stepper motor for a single axis solar tracker include the required torque and speed, the power supply voltage, the step angle, and the motor size. It is also important to consider the duty cycle and the operating environment to ensure the motor can handle the demands of the solar tracker.

3. Can I use any type of worm gear for a single axis solar tracker?

No, not all types of worm gears are suitable for a single axis solar tracker. It is important to select a worm gear with high gear efficiency to minimize energy loss and ensure smooth operation. Additionally, the worm gear should have a high load capacity and be able to handle the forces and stresses of the solar tracker.

4. How do I determine the number of steps per revolution for a stepper motor in a single axis solar tracker?

The number of steps per revolution for a stepper motor in a single axis solar tracker can be calculated by dividing 360 degrees by the motor's step angle. For example, a motor with a step angle of 1.8 degrees will have 200 steps per revolution (360° / 1.8° = 200).

5. Are there any software programs available to assist with calculating worm gear and stepper motor for a single axis solar tracker?

Yes, there are various software programs available that can assist with calculating the necessary worm gear size and stepper motor for a single axis solar tracker. Some popular options include SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and MATLAB. These programs allow you to input various parameters and simulate the operation of the solar tracker to determine the most suitable gear and motor for your specific application.