Is Enveloping the Worm Gear Necessary for Optimal Tooth Contact with Spur Gears?

In summary, the conversation discusses the different options for enveloping a worm gear in a 3d model. These options include enveloping the worm gear helix or the spur gear teeth, or both, or neither. The question arises when both are done and it concerns the spur gear. The post also mentions the changing helix angle of the worm gear as it moves away from the center. The purpose of enveloping the worm gear is also questioned, as it may not serve any purpose in terms of reducing tooth touching. The conversation ends with the promise of providing pictures to clarify the question.
Gmen
I wanted to exchange some opinions about worm gear enveloping. I am designing a worm gear 3d model and, putting the appropriate amount of thought in it, some interesting points arise.

One may either:
1) Envelop (is that right?) the worm gear helix, so that its radius increases from the gear's centre and outward, in a way that matches the perimeter of the spur gear

2) Envelop the spur gear teeth, so that thir angle/helix matches the one of the worm gear

3) Both

4) None (doh!)

The question arises when both are done, and it regards the spur gear.

Let me call the point at which the spur gear is closest at the worm gear's shaft as "centre".

As stated, as much as one goes far away from centre, the worm's helix must reach further from its shaft to touch the spur gear.

With a constant circular pitch, that means that the helix angle of the worm is changing (declining as we go centre->edge).

So...what is the point to envelop the worm gear too? There is not a helix angle for the spur's teeth that will serve more than a single point (distance from centre). And an infinitesmall angle is enough to reduce tooth touching, from a whole line segment, to a single point, much like it would be if there were no spur gear enveloping at all!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

Thank you for your interest. As soon as I finish the 3d model I'm making, I shall be able to provide some pictures to better illustrate what I'm asking.

What is a worm gear?

A worm gear is a type of gear that consists of a threaded cylinder, also known as a worm, and a toothed wheel, known as a worm gear. The worm rotates and drives the worm gear, which in turn rotates at a different speed and direction. This type of gear is used to transmit power and motion between non-parallel, intersecting shafts.

What is an enveloping argument in relation to worm gears?

An enveloping argument in worm gears refers to the unique design of the teeth on the worm gear. The teeth on the worm gear are shaped to completely surround and wrap around the worm, providing a larger contact area and increasing the gear's efficiency and torque capacity.

What are the advantages of using a worm gear with enveloping argument?

The enveloping argument in worm gears provides several advantages, including high efficiency due to the large contact area between the worm and worm gear, high torque capacity, and self-locking capabilities. Additionally, worm gears with enveloping argument are compact and can operate at high speeds.

What are the applications of worm gears with enveloping argument?

Worm gears with enveloping argument are commonly used in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and robotics. They are used in applications that require high precision, high efficiency, and high torque transmission, such as steering systems, elevators, and machine tools.

What factors should be considered when designing a worm gear with enveloping argument?

When designing a worm gear with enveloping argument, factors such as the pitch, pressure angle, number of teeth, and material selection should be considered. These factors will affect the gear's performance, durability, and efficiency. It is important to carefully consider these factors to ensure the gear meets the specific requirements of the application.