Comparing Worm Sets vs Spur Gears

• Thread starter Precursor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gears Sets
In summary, the question is about the placement of worm sets and spur gear sets in terms of high speed and low speed gear ratios. After discussing the purpose and capabilities of each type of gear, it is determined that the worm set should be placed before the spur gear set, as the worm gear is designed for high speed and large reductions while the spur gear is not. Further research is recommended for a confident decision.
Precursor
I'm doing a comparison on worm sets over spur gear sets and I came across a question that seems rather simple, but I can't quite resolve. Here it is:

[PLAIN]http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/4848/42786849.png

I do know that worm sets typically achieve high torque and a low speed gear ratio, but in terms of the above question, where would the worm set be placed?

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The clue is understanding what spur gears and worm gears do at high speed.
which one has less friction?
I'm a bit rusty here... But I think that spurs had less friction at high speed.
So I would set the spurs first to step it down then the worm gear to step it down the rest of the way.

It's an opinion...

Gear ratios are cumulative, so the overall speed reduction and torque multiplication should be independent of the worm placement.
The only consideration that occurs to me is that I would probably use the worm/worm gear combination as the last component simply because that would allow for lighter (and cheaper) intermediate gears.

edit: I see that Danev beat me to the same conclusion, although it's worded a bit differently.

So the worm set should be on the high torque, low speed end to increase efficiency?

I believe it should be the other way around. The worm gear set should be the driver because it is meant to operate at high speed and allows for huge reduction. The spur gear set is not meant for high speed or large reduction; the high speed would make it noisy, cause frequent shock loads and generally wreck the teeth. If you look through machine design books or just online you should be able to find sufficient information to make you confident of one of the options.

1. What are the main differences between worm sets and spur gears?

Worm sets and spur gears are both types of gears used in machinery, but they have several key differences. Worm sets consist of a worm gear (a rotating screw) and a worm wheel (a toothed wheel), while spur gears are made up of two interlocking toothed wheels. Additionally, worm sets are used for high reduction ratios and low speeds, while spur gears are better suited for low reduction ratios and high speeds.

2. Which type of gear is more efficient?

In general, spur gears are more efficient than worm sets. This is because worm gears have a sliding motion, which creates more friction and reduces efficiency. Spur gears, on the other hand, have a rolling motion, which results in less friction and higher efficiency.

3. What are the advantages of using worm sets over spur gears?

One advantage of worm sets is their ability to provide high reduction ratios in a compact package. They are also self-locking, meaning that the worm gear can hold the load in place without needing to be constantly powered. This makes worm sets useful for applications where safety and stability are important.

4. Which type of gear is more commonly used in industrial applications?

Spur gears are more commonly used in industrial applications due to their higher efficiency and ability to handle higher speeds. However, worm sets are still used in specific applications where their unique advantages are required.

5. Can worm sets and spur gears be used together in a system?

Yes, worm sets and spur gears can be used together in a system, with the worm gear driving the spur gear. This allows for high reduction ratios while still maintaining the efficiency of the spur gears. However, it is important to properly size and align the gears to ensure optimal performance and durability.