Wormhole - Conservation of Mass

In summary: Interestingly you can build a time machine with two wormholes. If you accelerate one up close to the speed of light, let it fly for a while and bring it back it will be a gateway to the future for the other one. If you fixed the wormholes to walls with a synchronised clock on them the clocks will always tick at the same speed and show the same time. However the one that was accelerated to close to the speed of light will have undergone time dilation.
permapoop
I'm going to apologize now if what I say doesn't really make sense, I'm still only learning the basics of physics.

Let's say that few hundred or maybe thousands of years, we developed some sort of device that can rip a hole into the space time fabric to create a wormhole. If a spaceship, satellite, or anything goes through that wormhole, wouldn't that object(s) technically not be in our dimension/realm anymore? Therefore, wouldn't that violate the Law of Conservation of Mass? Or if it doesn't violate it, how come?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If you could build a pair of connected wormholes going through one would lead you to come out of the other. You would not leave the universe.

Interestingly you can build a time machine with two wormholes. If you accelerate one up close to the speed of light, let it fly for a while and bring it back it will be a gateway to the future for the other one. If you fixed the wormholes to walls with a synchronised clock on them the clocks will always tick at the same speed and show the same time. However the one that was accelerated to close to the speed of light will have undergone time dilation.

If the accelerated one (A) went on a 30 year journey (according to some one on Earth) that took just 10 years according to it's clock then the other wormhole (B) would be separated from it by 20 years. If you step into A you come out 20 years in the past out of B and vis versa.

This doesn't break the conservation of mass however (until yesterday I thought it might until it was [post=3266979] explained to me[/post]) because when X mass enters one wormhole it increases the wormhole by X mass and decreases the wormhole it comes out of by X mass.

So if wormhole A and B mass 1000kg and I (massing 100kg) walk through A I have transferred 100kg from the future to the past. However A will now mass 1100kg and B will mass 900kg.

permapoop said:
I'm going to apologize now if what I say doesn't really make sense, I'm still only learning the basics of physics.

Let's say that few hundred or maybe thousands of years, we developed some sort of device that can rip a hole into the space time fabric to create a wormhole. If a spaceship, satellite, or anything goes through that wormhole, wouldn't that object(s) technically not be in our dimension/realm anymore? Therefore, wouldn't that violate the Law of Conservation of Mass? Or if it doesn't violate it, how come?

A wormhole would lead to another part of the universe, but it would still be IN our universe. But, if something happened where we observed matter or energy dissappearing or appearing from something that couldn't be explained by anything other than other dimensions/universes, we would have to change our theories.

1. What is a wormhole?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel that connects two distant points in the universe, allowing for faster-than-light travel between them.

2. How does a wormhole conserve mass?

According to the theory of general relativity, a wormhole must conserve mass and energy in order to be stable. This means that any matter or energy that enters one end of the wormhole must exit the other end, and the total mass and energy of the system must remain the same.

3. Can a wormhole be created artificially?

Currently, there is no known way to create a wormhole artificially. The immense amount of energy and exotic matter needed to create and stabilize a wormhole is beyond our current technological capabilities.

4. Can a wormhole be used for time travel?

While some theories suggest that a wormhole could potentially be used for time travel, it is currently purely speculative and has not been proven to be possible. Time travel also raises many paradoxes and logical inconsistencies.

5. Are there any real-world examples of wormholes?

There is currently no evidence of the existence of wormholes in the universe. However, some black holes are theorized to have wormhole-like properties, but this has not been confirmed by observation.