Can a Collapsing Star Form a Wormhole?

In summary: I can only speak for myself. I don't have any qualifications to make a judgement about whether this is a theory or not. I'm just providing a summary of what I have read.
PaulS1950
I have a question about what happens if:
A collapsing star (with an appropriate mass <20solar masses) forms a "donut" shape as it collapses. (first, is that possible?) and would it generate a wormhole traveling through the "donuts" center? The only thing that causes me to believe it would is that there is no singularity there to stop the passage of space/time like there would be in a "normal" black hole.
I would think that this kind of event would be rare and even more so for two of these "donuts" to line up or "couple" which would extend the range of a wormhole.
I can also "see" (minds eye) that it would not be a permanent situation. Eventually the "donut" would have to collapse into a "normal" wormhole, wouldn't it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't see how it could form a doughnut shape. But if it does it could potentially open a wormhole for a brief period of time before collapsing. However a wormhole needs a large amount of energy to form. So it would have to be a massive star. And no it would form into a black hole (theoretically).
cheers, BT

brother time said:
I don't see how it could form a doughnut shape. But if it does it could potentially open a wormhole for a brief period of time before collapsing. However a wormhole needs a large amount of energy to form. So it would have to be a massive star. And no it would form into a black hole (theoretically).
cheers, BT

Do you have any justification at all for what you just said or are you just speaking at the extremes of the meaning "theoretically"?

Anyways, why would a collapsing star form a doughnut? Stars are already solid spheres, how is a hole in the center going to magically appear? And even if it did, gravity should collapse the "doughnut" back into a sphere.

Thanks for catching this. I am very new and now understand better to explain things. This is only a theory proposed by scientists that wormholes decay into black holes. The theory is not proved correct or incorrect, but it is the strongest theory so far. thanks for helping me Mu,
BT

I can say that the concept of a collapsing star forming a wormhole is still largely theoretical and not yet fully understood. While it is possible for a collapsing star to form a donut shape, it is not clear if this would automatically result in a wormhole. The formation of a wormhole would depend on a number of factors such as the mass and rotation of the collapsing star, as well as the presence of exotic matter that is needed to stabilize the wormhole.

Additionally, the idea of two "donut" shaped collapsing stars lining up to create a wormhole is highly unlikely due to the rarity of such events. And even if it were to occur, the stability of the wormhole would be temporary and eventually collapse into a more "normal" state.

Overall, the concept of a collapsing star forming a wormhole is still a subject of ongoing research and there is much that we still do not know about the behavior of matter in extreme conditions. It is certainly an intriguing idea, but more evidence and research is needed to fully understand the potential for a collapsing star to form a wormhole.

1. Can a collapsing star really form a wormhole?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for a collapsing star to form a wormhole. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, a massive object can create a distortion in the fabric of space-time, creating a shortcut or "tunnel" to another point in space. This is known as a wormhole.

2. How does a collapsing star create a wormhole?

When a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses under its own gravity, it can create a singularity - a point of infinite density and curvature in space-time. This singularity can potentially create a wormhole, connecting two distant points in space.

3. Can we observe a wormhole created by a collapsing star?

At this time, we do not have the technology to observe a wormhole directly. However, scientists are studying the effects of gravitational lensing, where the gravity of a massive object can bend light, as a potential way to indirectly detect the presence of a wormhole.

4. What are the potential implications of a collapsing star forming a wormhole?

If a collapsing star were to create a wormhole, it would challenge our understanding of space and time. It could also potentially allow for interstellar travel, as a wormhole could act as a shortcut through space. However, the stability and navigability of a wormhole are still open questions in physics.

5. Are there any known examples of a collapsing star forming a wormhole?

Currently, there are no confirmed observations of a collapsing star forming a wormhole. However, there is ongoing research and study in this area, and as our technology and understanding of the universe improves, we may be able to detect and study these phenomena in the future.