Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worms in low oxygen

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090129140849.htm

here is a link to what I am talking about. Does this mean that some of these worm cells (the ones that have been made to survive in the low oxygen environment) can survive with no oxygen? indefinitely? or does it definitely not mean that? (i I heard cells die not when they stop getting oxygen but when oxygen reaches them again after they've been deprived of it I . I don't know if that's true but could these cells Im asking about stay in a state where they wouldn't be making proteins and where they wouldn't die, indefinitely)

thanks

also when it says cancer cells can by hypoxia-resistant, the cancer cells still need some level of oxygen to survive, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2009 #2
    okay um..ignore the previous question I guess my question now is just...I heard cells die from oxygen deprivation when they get oxygen after they've been deprived of it..- so could they last indefintiely without getting new oxygen then? thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook