Worms Thrive in Low Oxygen Environments

• Thread starter bioquest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oxygen
In summary, the conversation discusses the survival of worm cells in a low oxygen environment and the possibility of these cells surviving indefinitely without oxygen. The question also arises about whether cancer cells, which are known to be resistant to hypoxia, still require some level of oxygen to survive. The conversation also explores the idea that cells die not when they stop receiving oxygen, but when oxygen is reintroduced after a period of deprivation.
bioquest
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090129140849.htm

here is a link to what I am talking about. Does this mean that some of these worm cells (the ones that have been made to survive in the low oxygen environment) can survive with no oxygen? indefinitely? or does it definitely not mean that? (i I heard cells die not when they stop getting oxygen but when oxygen reaches them again after they've been deprived of it I . I don't know if that's true but could these cells I am asking about stay in a state where they wouldn't be making proteins and where they wouldn't die, indefinitely)

thanks

also when it says cancer cells can by hypoxia-resistant, the cancer cells still need some level of oxygen to survive, right?

Biology news on Phys.org
okay um..ignore the previous question I guess my question now is just...I heard cells die from oxygen deprivation when they get oxygen after they've been deprived of it..- so could they last indefintiely without getting new oxygen then? thanks

I can confirm that worms are indeed able to thrive in low oxygen environments. This is due to their unique adaptations, such as a slow metabolism and the ability to store energy for long periods of time. However, this does not mean that these worms can survive indefinitely without any oxygen. While they may be able to survive for extended periods of time in low oxygen conditions, they still require some level of oxygen to function and eventually, they will die without it.

In regards to your question about cells surviving without oxygen, it is true that cells can die when they are deprived of oxygen and then suddenly exposed to it again. This is known as reperfusion injury. However, it is important to note that cells have different levels of sensitivity to oxygen deprivation and some may be able to survive longer periods without it.

As for cancer cells being hypoxia-resistant, it means that they have developed mechanisms to survive in low oxygen environments. However, they still require some level of oxygen to survive and function. This is why treatments that target the blood supply to tumors, such as chemotherapy, can be effective in killing cancer cells.

In summary, while worms and some cells may be able to survive in low oxygen environments, they still require some level of oxygen to function and eventually, they will die without it. Cancer cells may be able to survive in low oxygen conditions, but they still need oxygen to survive and grow.

What are low oxygen environments?

Low oxygen environments are areas that have a lower concentration of oxygen compared to the surrounding air or water. This can occur naturally in certain habitats, such as deep in the ocean or in sediments, or it can be created by human activities.

Why do worms thrive in low oxygen environments?

Worms have evolved to adapt to low oxygen environments because it can provide protection from predators and competition for resources. Additionally, worms have a slower metabolism and can survive with less oxygen compared to other organisms.

How do worms survive in low oxygen environments?

Worms have several adaptations that help them survive in low oxygen environments. They have a thin and permeable skin that allows for gas exchange, and some species have specialized hemoglobin that can bind oxygen more efficiently. Worms also have the ability to reduce their metabolism and enter a state of dormancy when oxygen levels are low.

What types of worms thrive in low oxygen environments?

There are several types of worms that are known to thrive in low oxygen environments, including earthworms, marine worms, and parasitic worms. Some species, like the tubificid worm, are specifically adapted to live in low oxygen sediments.

What impact do worms have on low oxygen environments?

Worms play an important role in low oxygen environments, as they help to cycle nutrients and break down organic matter. They also create tunnels and burrows that improve oxygenation and aeration of the sediment, which can benefit other organisms living in the environment.