Tips for Writing English Comp 1 Essays

• Thread starter 462chevelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles of writing essays in English composition class and provides tips for improving writing skills. These include practicing, seeking feedback from instructors and peers, and utilizing resources like writing centers. The importance of understanding the objective of an essay and developing a strong thesis is also emphasized. Reading and familiarizing oneself with different writing techniques and structures can greatly improve writing ability.
462chevelle
Gold Member
im taking English comp 1 and I absolutely suck at writing essays regarding to subjects that I don't care about. like. I had to write an essay about if I had 1 million dollars to give to someone or something other than family what would I do with it. I think my score on that test was a 56. I just don't know how to organize writing well enough to write a good essay. any good tips on doing this kind of work?? I am going to practice using outlines and write a couple essays before the semester starts but. still don't want to hurt my gpa. I started good with a 4.0 and I would like to keep it that way as long as possible.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an essential skill to learn. Practice, practice, practice. And mostly: Do the reading. Don't just read the material either, make sure you comprehend it.

I also used to have trouble with English classes and essays, so I understand your frustration. The first step to take (and this goes for any subject, really) is to go up to your instructor and ask them politely, "I would like to improve my English skills and perform better in the future. What steps do you recommend that I take?"
Also, you can see your peers'/sample graded essays and see what they did well and use that to improve your writing. Good writing is the result of good editing, so don't hesitate to go through multiple drafts before submitting your final essay. Many schools have some sort of "writing center" where you can get help on your writing, so use this resource if available. As always, practice makes perfect, ask your instructor for practice writing prompts to write on.

Yea man this class will help you at nearly any professional job in the world. You should bite the bullet and study it until you enjoy it.

I believe what I have learned throughout my English courses in the past may be of use. I agree with Travis and Forensics but the one thing that really helped me with my essays in the past is really breaking down the objective of what an essay is really trying to achieve.

Most of the instructors that teach the course really don't care what you write about(my experience) the one thing that differentiates a good writer from another is how well one is able to convey their ideas in a clear and arguable standpoint. So regardless of the subject your writing about in your essay, develop a "Thesis" or simply put; an idea or argument your trying to convey to your reader. The rest of your essay revolves around this point/idea your trying to make by bringing up strong and rational points to back up your "Thesis".

It takes practice like others have said, but don't feel discouraged. The best type of writing comes from the confidence in your ideas and the ability to convey them thoroughly/clearly.

this will probably help me when it comes to proof writing. I am good at math calculations but explaining the nuts and bolts of it is where I suffer.
thanks for the advice. I guess ill know in the next few months where I am at.

Get started on your papers early. The sooner you starting getting your concepts organized, the better you will do. Most schools have a writing center that will help you proof read, and make suggestions on parts of your paper that can stand for improvement. Use these places to your advantage. Writing comes pretty naturally to me, but I still use these places. They catch things that I would otherwise just graze right over, or they see a sentence slightly differently than I do. It can make a big difference.

As others have said, do the reading. A lot of people feel like the reading in an English/writing class is irrelevant, in reality it is anything but. You will find all kinds of tips and suggestions on structuring a paper. Reading about things like the different methods of outlining and organizing can be very beneficial. Reading about a professionals perspective on how to best structure an argument can make all the difference in the world. For instance, knowing where to place your strongest point in an argument can make all the difference in the overall effectiveness of the argument. A lot of the time, if you are using an argument with 3 main points, it will be best to structure your argument with the medium strength point first, then the weakest point second, then the strongest point last. In other situations, you might want to use your strongest point first, and repeat it/reflect on it throughout the paper. The reading will have a lot of information on what type of structure will work best in certain situations. Additionally, reading about the Aristotelian Triad (Pathos, Ethos, Logos) which is included in most English composition courses, will improve anyone's ability to form a strong argument.

1. What is the best way to structure an English Comp 1 essay?

The most effective way to structure an English Comp 1 essay is to follow the traditional five-paragraph format. This includes an introduction, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion. The introduction should introduce the topic and provide a thesis statement, while the body paragraphs should each focus on a specific point or argument with supporting evidence. The conclusion should summarize the main points and restate the thesis.

2. How can I improve my grammar and punctuation in my essays?

One way to improve grammar and punctuation in your essays is to proofread your work carefully. Look for common errors such as subject-verb agreement, proper use of punctuation marks, and sentence structure. You can also use online tools or resources, such as grammar checkers and style guides, to help you identify and correct any mistakes.

3. What should I do if I am struggling to come up with ideas for my essay?

If you are struggling to come up with ideas for your essay, try brainstorming or freewriting. These techniques can help you generate new ideas and connections, even if they seem unrelated at first. You can also seek inspiration from outside sources, such as reading articles or watching videos related to your topic.

4. Can I use personal pronouns in my English Comp 1 essay?

In most cases, it is not recommended to use personal pronouns (such as "I" or "you") in an English Comp 1 essay. This is because these essays typically require an objective and formal tone. However, there may be some exceptions, such as if you are writing a personal narrative essay. Always check with your instructor for specific guidelines.

5. How can I make my essay more engaging and interesting for the reader?

To make your essay more engaging and interesting, try to incorporate some storytelling techniques, such as using descriptive language and including relevant anecdotes or examples. You can also vary your sentence structure and use transitions to make the essay flow smoothly. Additionally, make sure to use strong and specific language that conveys your ideas clearly and effectively.