Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worried about BPA in papers

1. Dec 18, 2013 #1
    I was reading some studies that found bpa in a great variety of papers. It is scaring me. I already don't use unknown plastics, PVC and polycarbonate plastics. I don't eat anything from cans. Now I am thinking in I how can avoid paper. Those estrogens are everywhere ! And there is the soy. Soy protein is everywhere. I almost don't eat industrialized food anymore, just after checking the ingredients and being sure there is no soy protein there. There is estrogens in our industrialized milk, I don't drink milk too. Everythin was ok , but now that I know there is bpa in most papers I will have some big trouble thinking how to live without paper. And I am a engineer student, so it is hard to avoid paper.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2013 #2
    What's wrong with soy proteins and estrogens?

4. Dec 18, 2013 #3
    Soy proteins mimics estrogens, just like bpa.

5. Dec 18, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What's BPA and why do you want to avoid it?

6. Dec 18, 2013 #5
  7. Dec 18, 2013 #6
    And estrogens are bad because...

8. Dec 18, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Dec 18, 2013 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There is nothing to worry about. BPA is used in thermal paper. Through recycling, some BPA can get into other paper products, but it's not at levels that will hurt you.

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20111202/study-bpa-is-in-wide-variety-of-paper-products

10. Dec 18, 2013 #9

Evo

11. Dec 18, 2013 #10
    Thanks. I an aware now most of bpa is in thermal and recycled papers. About my excessive worries, I already have been diagnosed with OCD. Thanks for the help !

12. Dec 18, 2013 #11

Evo

Many members have OCD, so you'll fit right in! I'm glad we could help.

13. Dec 18, 2013 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, not only OCD but years putting it to use with a lot more dangerous endeavors than BPA exposure. I've probably inhaled, eat, and otherwise absorbed more carcinogenic agents in the workplace in a day than I could ever dream of getting if I eat all the food wrappings I'll get for the rest of my life. Just sayin'

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook