Struggling in Physics: My Journey to Becoming an Engineer

• Thread starter mcdowellmg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is a BA graduate in English who is currently pursuing a degree in engineering. They have taken several math and science courses since graduating and are struggling in their physics class. They are determined to do well and transfer to an engineering school, but are feeling discouraged by their recent 75 on a test and the lack of partial credit. They are advised to pay attention to detail and make sure their answers make sense. The conversation also touches on the importance of not settling for less and the reality of mistakes in real-life engineering. The speaker is encouraged to speak to their instructor and determine what went wrong on the test. The conversation ends with the hope that more students adopt the speaker's determined mindset.
mcdowellmg
I have a BA in English and I am currently going back to school to pursue a completely different path--engineering (preferably geophysical/petroleum, but maybe electrical/computer).

I have taken Calculus I (B), Calculus II (B), Discrete Math (B+), and General Chemistry (A) since graduating with my BA in English. My only problem so far is in Physics, which unfortunately is the basis of engineering.

I tried to take it last semester, but dropped before the deadline after a 60 and a 45 on my first two tests. I had problems understanding how to set-up the problems, and often went about plugging-and-chugging my way to results with the help of the internet/text book, which are not available at test time.

I am taking the class again now (it is the whole summer, so it is not accelerated too much), and I just received a 75 on the first test (9 out of 12 points, which means I essentially missed 1 problem out of 4). I was striving for 100--I want an A in this class, and I will not settle for anything less than a B-, which is what I now currently have.

I know this sounds like one of those whining posts about someone who got a C in a class and wants to go to grad school. However, I really am starting to get discouraged. At this moment, grades are everything to me, as I am trying to transfer into engineering schools for spring 2012. It is just frustrating that one simple mistake on a test can take me from 100 to a 75 (went the wrong direction with a vector), and there is no partial credit, but I guess there isn't partial credit when building a bridge either.

Physics news on Phys.org
mcdowellmg said:
...but I guess there isn't partial credit when building a bridge either.

Exactly! If you're going to be a petroleum engineer, you could end up being responsible for an undersea drilling project in the Gulf of Mexico, in which case doing something in the wrong direction could be a catastrophe. Hang in there - attention to detail can be learned, you just have to discipline yourself to do it.

With respect to making simple mistakes, don't leave the test early. Redo as many problems as you have the time to. Also, while doing homework, I make a list of mistakes I make over and over (recent example from Calc was forgetting + C or forgetting about a constant moved outside the integral). When I'm taking a test, instead of just blindly staring at the problem and looking for any mistake, I have a short list of things I'm specifically looking for.

Edit:
One more thing that applies to physics is to ask yourself if your answer actually makes sense. You should be able to come up with a reasonable estimate of the answer before beginning the math. If your calculated answer is much different than the estimate than you should try to answer why.

phyzguy said:
Exactly! If you're going to be a petroleum engineer, you could end up being responsible for an undersea drilling project in the Gulf of Mexico, in which case doing something in the wrong direction could be a catastrophe. Hang in there - attention to detail can be learned, you just have to discipline yourself to do it.

That having been said, a 4 question test with no partial credit seems to be problematic. It doesn't really have the necessary resolution to distinguish students' knowledge, and it (IMO) excessively penalizes small mistakes.

As for what to do? I agree with everything said so far - redo questions if you have time, and also try to see if the answer makes sense. A lot of times, you can spot when an answer is wrong, even though you may not know exactly what the right answer is.

and I just received a 75 on the first test (9 out of 12 points, which means I essentially missed 1 problem out of 4). I was striving for 100--I want an A in this class, and I will not settle for anything less than a B-, which is what I now currently have.
It's good... keep for aiming for A. But please also lower your expectation. It's always good to have a goal, but sometime reality just doesn't ...

WILL NOT SETTLE can turn against you later. The right way is probably "I will not stop aiming for A"

I know this sounds like one of those whining posts about someone who got a C in a class
Me.. But it is never too late to do the right thing.

It is just frustrating that one simple mistake on a test can take me from 100 to a 75 (went the wrong direction with a vector), and there is no partial credit, but I guess there isn't partial credit when building a bridge either.
I had a professor who said "no. you can't memorize everything. I don't give partial credits because in real life a miscalculation can cause you life in prison." I was whining, and I was glad that I had him. I actually got A in that class.. one of the few. While some professors are easier than others, more laid back and friendly than others, in your situation there isn't much to do but to be careful. Have you speak to your instructor about your concern?

So what did you get wrong? Conceptually wrong, or numerical mistakes, or wrong signs?

mcdowellmg said:
but I guess there isn't partial credit when building a bridge either.

God I wish this wasn't the first time I've heard a student say this.

I wish more people had your mindset.

What inspired you to pursue a degree in engineering?

I have always been fascinated by how things work and wanted to gain a deeper understanding of the laws that govern the physical world. I also wanted to use my knowledge to create solutions to real-world problems.

What challenges did you face while studying physics?

Physics is a complex subject, and I struggled with understanding some of the concepts and mathematical principles. It required a lot of practice and dedication to fully grasp the material.

How did you overcome your struggles in physics?

I sought help from my professors and classmates, attended extra tutoring sessions, and spent extra time reviewing and practicing the material. I also found it helpful to break down the concepts into smaller, more manageable parts.

What advice do you have for others who are struggling in physics?

Don't be afraid to ask for help and seek support from your peers and professors. Practice regularly and try to connect the material to real-world applications to make it more relatable. And most importantly, don't give up - perseverance is key in mastering any subject.

How has your journey in physics helped you in your career as an engineer?

My understanding of physics has been crucial in my career as an engineer. It has provided me with a strong foundation in problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills, which are essential in solving complex engineering problems and designing innovative solutions.