Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worst Canadian Prime Minister

1. Joseph Philippe Pierre Yves Elliott Trudeau

3 vote(s)
  2. Martin Brian Mulroney

2 vote(s)
  3. Robert Laird Borden

0 vote(s)
  4. Joseph Jacques Jean Chrétien

0 vote(s)
  5. William Lyon Mackenzie King

0 vote(s)
  6. Richard Bedford Bennett

0 vote(s)
  1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    You know we always talk about American presidents. I think our friendly neighbour to the north deserves some attention. So I've compiled a list of the most significant prime ministers, let's have a debate!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2
    I pick.......what are the names again? I seemed to have forgotten all of their names.
  4. Oct 10, 2005 #3
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
    hmm.. who's the most to the Left? :biggrin:
  6. Oct 10, 2005 #5
    Chretien or Trudeau probably. But I tend to gauge prime ministers on what they do, not where they are on the spectrum.
  7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    Ok...I picked Mr. Trudeau because of the following reason:

"Former Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau, who more than any previous Prime Minister consolidated power in the PMO (Prime Minister's Office)"
  8. Oct 10, 2005 #7
    that's true, but you know the PM office still doesn't have a whole lot of power. Most conservatives and liberals alike will agree the president needed more power at the time.
  9. Oct 10, 2005 #8
    From what I read, I would agree to a point. The problem is that big government is much easier to acquire than it is to get rid of. I happen to think that the solution to most of the problems created by the government is best fixed by reducing government...not making more government.

So increasing the power of the executive branch of the government may have been a good thing but I think a better thing would have been to restrict the power of parliament instead of expanding the power of the executive. Or perhaps just a reappointment of power between parliament and prime minister....

Of course, that may have been what happened but I for some reason doubt it.
  10. Oct 10, 2005 #9
    Townsend are you sure you understand Canada's separation of powers? Just asking, because it works rather differently here.
  11. Oct 10, 2005 #10
    :rofl: no...I'm doing a lot of guessing.
  12. Oct 11, 2005 #11
    The reason most conservatives dislike Trudeau is because of his massive spending. personally, I think he was one of the best PMs we've ever had.
  13. Oct 11, 2005 #12
    Well massive spending is a very good reason to dislike an executive officer so I cannot say I blame the conservatives for feeling the way they do.
  14. Oct 11, 2005 #13

Gold Member

oh god... oh god....

I don't know what to pick!!! They're all too damn unimportant! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  15. Oct 11, 2005 #14

Gold Member

You don't like using your money you work for? No job?
  16. Oct 11, 2005 #15
    I had to pick Trudeau, because, he kept throwing my friend out of Canada. It seems Trudeau took exception to my friend practicing international law. As an American native Cheyenne married to a Micmac woman he visited Austria and the result was:

He had to keep leaving after his visa expired, the Canadian equivalent of our immigration department was always there the day his visa expired to make sure he was leaving.

He always was one to stir it up.
  17. Oct 11, 2005 #16
    Meh, if I break my leg I don't have to give a cent to the hospital. Figure it's worth it. I don't need any extra money. I'm not much of a consumer.
  18. Oct 11, 2005 #17
    To give a brief overview of who each of them are:
    Mackenzie King was PM for ww2. Questionable performance.

Bennett was PM for most (and worst) of the Great Depression - didn't even try to fix it.

Brian Mulroney is probably the most hated PM in Canada, he's responsible for signing NAFTA and selling so much of our business to the states. He doesn't live in Canada anymore, he took all his personal profits and moved to England.

Robert Laird Borden was the PM for WW1 and did an absolutely horrible job of it. I mean, come on! The ROSS RIFLE. Canadian soldiers discarded their rifles and grabbed the lee entfield of dead british troops whenever they could. They also gave us crappy boots, crappy shovels and ... crappy everything!

Jean Chretien stepped down last election. Replaced by Martin. A lot of people don't seem to like him, not sure why.
  19. Oct 11, 2005 #18
    Dunno, what have they done?
  20. Oct 11, 2005 #19
    do your own research.
  21. Oct 11, 2005 #20
    I think it's for not scrapping the GST after he had said he would. Personally, I like him more than Martin.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?