Worst ever bushfires in Australia

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
People that live in tornado prone areas in the USA have tornado shelters. Neighbour hoods in fire prone areas need to have fire shelters.
I saw a video one family that did go into some kind of cellar structure. They pulled the metal plate over the top as the flames blew over them. The gentleman said one corner of the plate glowed red hot.

Others jumped into pools or ponds.

But they really need a water spray system.

Rural areas have limited fire protection.

In California, homes in fire-prone suburbs are encouraged to keep trees and brush away from the houses, which would defeat the purpose of living in a forested area, and grow ice plant (Aizoaceae or Ficoidaceae), which are succulents that do not burn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aizoaceae

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, I don't know if cellar 'tornado shelters' would work. And brush clearance wouldn't, unless you wanted to clear brush for sq km around the house - which would turn it into the concrete suburbs they were moving away from.
I don't know if you could get enough water for a spray system, however much storage you build - it doesn't exactly rain much.

But you could have community fire shelters, with airtight doors and water sprays. A bunch of Australian companies make them for mines and oil rigs. Or you could just copy the fallout shelters in US cities.