What makes The Matrix a classic sci-fi film?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, the conversation discussed various movies that individuals regretted watching, including "2001," "Easy Rider," "What Dreams May Come," and "War of the Roses." Other movies that were mentioned as being particularly bad included "The Honeymooners," "Pearl Harbor," "The Scorpion King," and "Citizen Kane." Some individuals also expressed dislike for certain sequels, such as "Nightmare on Elm Street 4" and "The Matrix" sequels. However, there was some disagreement about "The Matrix," with some considering it to be a groundbreaking and original film.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Worst of "The Best Movies"

What movies have you invested time or money to see, and wished you'd stayed home to clean the litterbox, tuned into reruns of Bert Parks and Miss America, gone to a baseball game, watched golf, or anything else?

Paid perfectly good money to see in a theatre: 2001

Saw for free and still wanted my money back: Easy Rider

Rented: What Dreams May Come

Stayed up late to watch: War of the Roses

Physics news on Phys.org
Dumb and Dumberer

:eek: I think you're going to hell for such blasphemy.

I went and saw the remake of the Honeymooners. It blew chunks. Ofcourse it wasn't my idea which made me even more mad.

any film that's a remake of a classic not for the film, often good, but for the tired idea of making a great movie again to sell seats, having said that though if they make it original in that they change it to suit a modern audience kudos: Oceans Elven a case in point.

Nightmare on Elm Street: any movie after the first one.

C'mon watch Candyamn/Candyman 2 now that's how to do a sequel:rolleyes:

Nighmare on Elm street 4 was okay, better than 2&3

the skulls. I am still trying to erase that movie from my memories.

pearl Harbor was the biggest load of **** I have ever rented.

Azael said:
(snip)pearl Harbor was the biggest load of **** I have ever rented.

Totally forgot about that --- and Truman still catches hell for the bomb he dropped.

No- the worst movie by and far is the Scorpian King- I have have never watched a guy die in more ways then that- and that's including every single time james Bond died in any movie.

Citizen Kane&Godfather 1,2,3

Totally worthless movies.

The Matrix.

Some of the new Star Wars stuff. I think the second recent release is the one that completely lost me.

Loved 2001, once you past the monkeys.

Bystander said:
Totally forgot about that --- and Truman still catches hell for the bomb he dropped.

There were a crap load of inaccuracies in that movie too. The absolute most hilarious inaccuracy i saw was a building in a shot before the attack that said "Built: 1947". There was also something increddibly inaccurate about that what's his faces airplane being shot down when he was with the RAF that i can't remember

arildno said:
Citizen Kane.

Go to your room.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Matrix.

I thought the third was freaken awesometastic. Thats right, AWESOMETASTIC! It was so awesome that it needed another incredible word such as fantastic to be rammed into it so that it could correctly describe how good the movie was. Anyone who disagrees with me is un-american.

Well...I have been visiting NSA websites...so I'll agree.

Schrodinger's Dog said:
any film that's a remake of a classic (snip)

Amen: John Boy Walton in AQOTWF was a travesty; Patrick Stewart in Moby Dick (doesn't count for me --- I quit watching the ads before they ever ran the actual show), likewise.

AQOTWF brings up the stinging memory that I paid money for VHS copies of Apocolypse Now and Deerhunter --- why'd I start this thread? I didn't need to remind myself of that.

arildno said:
Citizen Kane

Godfather 1,2,3

For me :

The Lord of the Rings trilogy
All of the Starwars movies (except the POD racing scene)
All the Matrix sequels (ok, not the first Matrix movie)

marlon

Ivan Seeking said:
The Matrix.
Out of curiosity, what about The Matrix didn't you like? I know it was a bit out there, but I have to like it if not for the fact that it was original. In this day and age, originality deserves it's own award when it comes to movies.

I think I am the only person on the planet that thinks that the second Matrix was the best of the trilogy.

FredGarvin said:
I think I am the only person on the planet that thinks that the second Matrix was the best of the trilogy.

that makes us 2.
The second took everything that was good in the first one and made it better:approve:

Believe it or not, I thought all 3 Godfather movies were completely useless, as well as Citizen Kane. More notable piles of garbage include:

Battlefield Earth - What good things are there to say about it?
Mafia! - Only movie from which I ever walked out
What the $&^$&* Do We Know? - Um...NO!
Volcano - As a (former) LA Native, I find it difficult to believe anyone would want to sav that stinkhole.

and last but not least...

Batman 3 and 4 - Thank god for Batman Begins, or else I would have lost all hope for the franchise.

FredGarvin said:
Out of curiosity, what about The Matrix didn't you like? I know it was a bit out there, but I have to like it if not for the fact that it was original. In this day and age, originality deserves it's own award when it comes to movies.

Yes you are the only person who thinks that :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think it is true that one just has to admit that the Matrix was absolutely original. All these slow motion or futuristic crap movies that come out today alllllllll stem from the Matrix but you can't realistically go anywhere before it.

Pengwuino said:
(snip)I think it is true that one just has to admit that the Matrix was absolutely original. (snip)

I didn't see Tron, nor have I seen Matrix, nor am I all that interested in either. The question is, how can Matrix be "original" if Tron preceded it in testing its hero in a computer generated world? Strikes me there were predecessors to Tron in this plot idea, but prolly not worth discussing.

This brings up the idea of the missing thread in the movie category, "Great movies you've never seen and will continue going to great lengths to avoid seeing." Someone else want to start it?

Titanic - there is nothing like watching a movie you already know the ending to

Bystander said:
I didn't see Tron, nor have I seen Matrix, nor am I all that interested in either. The question is, how can Matrix be "original" if Tron preceded it in testing its hero in a computer generated world? Strikes me there were predecessors to Tron in this plot idea, but prolly not worth discussing.
This brings up the idea of the missing thread in the movie category, "Great movies you've never seen and will continue going to great lengths to avoid seeing." Someone else want to start it?

Well you need to draw a line as to where a movie can "officially" be original. Technically, the Matrix drew inspiration from... ugh, i forget what the name of the movies are but there a genre of japanese movies and concepts that you can indeed draw its "lineage", if you want to call it that, to. Using a definition that broad though means originality only comes up once a decade maybe.

Titanic sucks though. I have never seen it, I will kill anyone who tries to make me see it, and anyone who mentions the movie will receive a quick jab to the heart. Even seeing Leonardo Dicarpio or whatever makes me want to puke. Hollywood in general makes me want to puke actually. In what other career do you have a yearly season of televised awards shows where you receive recognition ontop of your $20,000,000 paycheck.

Matrix 1 was good. Matrix 2&3 SUCK. End of discussion.

Pengwuino said:
Well you need to draw a line as to where a movie can "officially" be original. Technically, the Matrix drew inspiration from... ugh, i forget what the name of the movies are but there a genre of japanese movies and concepts that you can indeed draw its "lineage", if you want to call it that, to. Using a definition that broad though means originality only comes up once a decade maybe.
It wouldn't surprise me if Matrix drew from foreign films already out there. It amazes me when I see a Hollywood movie come out only to find that the Japanese or someone else had done it years before.

I think there is a relationship between Tron and the Matrix. I hadn't really thought about it before. I think that The Matrix put a lot more thought into the story line. But Tron never brought you the classic "I know Kung-Fu." I think Matrix did go quite a bit deeper than Tron, but good call on the parallel.

gravenewworld said:
Matrix 1 was good. Matrix 2&3 SUCK. End of discussion.

1 sucked, 2&3 rocked.

Dreamcatchers. Only movie I've actually fallen asleep during.

FredGarvin said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Matrix drew from foreign films already out there. It amazes me when I see a Hollywood movie come out only to find that the Japanese or someone else had done it years before.
I think there is a relationship between Tron and the Matrix. I hadn't really thought about it before. I think that The Matrix put a lot more thought into the story line. But Tron never brought you the classic "I know Kung-Fu." I think Matrix did go quite a bit deeper than Tron, but good call on the parallel.
Tron was about a guiy that gut sucked into a video game, he knew he was in a video game and he had to find a way to get out. I loved Tron, but I can't see any comparison to the Matrix.

FredGarvin said:

I don't find special effects entertaining for their own sake; ie. they have their place, and great special effects can help to make a great movie greater, but I walked out of Matrix feeling as though the entire movie was really just a special effects showcase.

And Descartes did it first.

Last edited:
The Truman Show
What, no! That movie was awesome!

The Barney movie sucked ass!

Plastic Photon said:
Titanic - there is nothing like watching a movie you already know the ending to

My wife and I had a Video Store a couple of years ago and when this movie came in, one of our customers asked, "Does it have a happy ending?"
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Well, more than 1500 people died in the North Atlantic when a ship thought to be unsinkable sank in a very likely avoidable accident. I'd say "NO!"

Evo said:
Tron was about a guiy that gut sucked into a video game, he knew he was in a video game and he had to find a way to get out. I loved Tron, but I can't see any comparison to the Matrix.
I see the comparison in that they were both part of a computer system and their main purpose was to free that system and to return to reality. Flynn and Neo both started out as degenerate computer programmers/hackers...I realize they weren't identical, but I think there is at least a parallel there. I can see how they could have started with Tron as an idea and expanded on it.

Ivan said:
I don't find special effects entertaining for their own sake; ie. they have their place, and great special effects can help to make a great movie greater, but I walked out of Matrix feeling as though the entire movie was really just a special effects showcase.

And Descartes did it first.
I agree with the special effects. They have their place. I was not a huge fan of how much wire work they did for the stunts. I was also not a huge fan of the huge gun battles where a million rounds are fired and only the bad guys get hit. I thought it was entertaining.

You'll have to explain the Descartes reference. I'm not that well read.